Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner

have you taken a government safety coarse before

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
post whore
7,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had to sit through another "boring" lets take the same safety coarse over and over again every year. It's the law up here in commie Canada, No whimis ticket (workplace hazardous material information system) or fall protection ticket, then safety inspectors can remove you from a jobsite.

But at least I will give todays instructor credit, he flew through everything today. Since we half to sit for 4 hours every year. He treated it more like a review, Rather than it being our first time:thumbsup:

So, just wondering, how many guys have took some form of a safety coarse, and how many have not.

Since I had to be bored with safety stuff today, just thought I would bore the rest of you guys:whistling2:

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Is it because you work for the union 2buck?
Because honestly, I have WSIB, and I have employees and I've never once had to take any sort of training or safety courses or anything of that measure. I hardly ever even speak with WSIB.
And to tell you the truth, I think it's only ever happened once where an inspector came on our jobsite. And we just hid in the attic until he left.
Sometimes if were working in a bigger, extremely busy sub-division that's been known to get blitzed by inspectors than we just always ensure that once were inside we lock all the doors so no one else can get in unless they know where the key is. (and let's be honest, the key's in the same place on every job. Hydro Meter! lol)
But we haven't had to hide in a while now, at least 3-4 years. They just don't come around at all. I hear allot of talk. Contractors are always warning us, watch out, inspectors are blitzing hard this year! Their out looking for anyone!....But still...never see them.
I don't know if Im just lucky, or if they're just lazy around here. Who knows.

·
post whore
7,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it because you work for the union 2buck?
Because honestly, I have WSIB, and I have employees and I've never once had to take any sort of training or safety courses or anything of that measure. I hardly ever even speak with WSIB.
And to tell you the truth, I think it's only ever happened once where an inspector came on our jobsite. And we just hid in the attic until he left.
Sometimes if were working in a bigger, extremely busy sub-division that's been known to get blitzed by inspectors than we just always ensure that once were inside we lock all the doors so no one else can get in unless they know where the key is. (and let's be honest, the key's in the same place on every job. Hydro Meter! lol)
But we haven't had to hide in a while now, at least 3-4 years. They just don't come around at all. I hear allot of talk. Contractors are always warning us, watch out, inspectors are blitzing hard this year! Their out looking for anyone!....But still...never see them.
I don't know if Im just lucky, or if they're just lazy around here. Who knows.
nothing to do with the union PT..... It's the government.

and as they say, you may not have a interest in politics, but politics will take a interest in you one day.

One day, WSIB may ask if your employes have their whimis ticket, if not, you will half to make them take it, or pay more in WSIB.

Even if you work at Tim Hortons, you half to have whimis.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
nothing to do with the union PT..... It's the government.

and as they say, you may not have a interest in politics, but politics will take a interest in you one day.

One day, WSIB may ask if your employes have their whimis ticket, if not, you will half to make them take it, or pay more in WSIB.

Even if you work at Tim Hortons, you half to have whimis.
That's so weird!! I wonder why they've never bothered me before...
Hopefully I can just keep flying under the radar. :yes:

·
post whore
7,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
That's a pile of crap if you ask me!

Key Points on Fall Arrest Protection:
Fall Arrest is to stop a worker safely after a Fall has occurred.
Anyone working at a height of 3 metres or more is required by law to be Fall Arrest trained.
If they ask me if my employees have Fall Arrest Protection I just have to say "no, they don't work at a height greater than 3 meters."
Done and Done!

·
post whore
7,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's a pile of crap if you ask me!

If they ask me if my employees have Fall Arrest Protection I just have to say "no, they don't work at a height greater than 3 meters."
Done and Done!
Don't be such a baby:whistling2:

It's like everything else, to get your drivers license, you need to pass a series of test. You may not think about it now, but you did learn something from those test. It's the same with safety coarses, you will learn something weather you want to admit it or not. I listen to stuff that will fight the system..... Like "No Mr safety inspector, I don't need a Material data sheet for that product, b/c I bought it as a consumer product from Home depot"..........you have no idea what I'm talking about with that statement, thats why you would get a ticket,,,,, well I will not:yes:

Don't get me wrong, I hate all the safety [email protected], it's all over kill and just a money grab now. hence having to take the same safety coarse every year, is the same as making you do your drivers examination every year..... over kill:furious:

So IMO, all newbs should take the coarse at least once, they will learn stuff

Knowledge is power PT:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Don't be such a baby

It's like everything else, to get your drivers license, you need to pass a series of test. You may not think about it now, but you did learn something from those test. It's the same with safety coarses, you will learn something weather you want to admit it or not. I listen to stuff that will fight the system..... Like "No Mr safety inspector, I don't need a Material data sheet for that product, b/c I bought it as a consumer product from Home depot"..........you have no idea what I'm talking about with that statement, thats why you would get a ticket,,,,, well I will not

Don't get me wrong, I hate all the safety [email protected], it's all over kill and just a money grab now. hence having to take the same safety coarse every year, is the same as making you do your drivers examination every year..... over kill:furious:

So IMO, all newbs should take the coarse at least once, they will learn stuff

Knowledge is power PT:thumbup:
So thank god I have you guys here to repeat what you learn to me! :thumbsup:

"No Mr safety inspector, I don't need a Material data sheet for that product, b/c I bought it as a consumer product from Home depot"

Ah.....I can feel my power growing :whistling2::laughing:

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
It's a yes and no answer for me 2buck. I took a OSHA ,or as we call it OCHIT, lead abatement course once. Although it wasn't a requirement to work the constructioin company "suggested" we all drive two hours to New Jersey to take the course. I NEVER used any of the schooling in any way shape or form.

·
post whore
7,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So thank god I have you guys here to repeat what you learn to me! :thumbsup:

"No Mr safety inspector, I don't need a Material data sheet for that product, b/c I bought it as a consumer product from Home depot"

Ah.....I can feel my power growing :whistling2::laughing:
Yes, lucky you dangerous young buck, now start learning http://www.millerfallprotection.com/smart-solutions/guide-to-fall-protection/fall-protection-iq-test

As for the material data sheet. If you buy your mud in boxes, and dump it into a paint bucket. By law,,,, you must now label the new material that was dumped into that bucket, so anyone will know the contents of the bucket......... boring you yet:whistling2:

Then, if a inspector wanted to, he/she could press you to produce a material data sheet, which is required on all places of work like factories, restaurants, labs, garages, construction sites etc.....

But since consumer products do not need a MDS sold along with them, there's a little loop hole you can work around.

So well my knowledge will save me a fine, your lack of knowledge will cost you:yes:

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Yes, lucky you dangerous young buck, now start learning http://www.millerfallprotection.com/smart-solutions/guide-to-fall-protection/fall-protection-iq-test

As for the material data sheet. If you buy your mud in boxes, and dump it into a paint bucket. By law,,,, you must now label the new material that was dumped into that bucket, so anyone will know the contents of the bucket......... boring you yet:whistling2:

Then, if a inspector wanted to, he/she could press you to produce a material data sheet, which is required on all places of work like factories, restaurants, labs, garages, construction sites etc.....

But since consumer products do not need a MDS sold along with them, there's a little loop hole you can work around.

So well my knowledge will save me a fine, your lack of knowledge will cost you:yes:
47%!! :blink::(
Maybe I should read up....haha :jester:

·
post whore
7,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
47%!! :blink::(
Maybe I should read up....haha :jester:
Your right, you should study up.

Thursday nights shall be safety lesson night. Make sure your here next Thursday for your next Lesson:D:yes:

·
drywall slave
10,565 Posts

Yeah 2buck ...:whistling2: Lets see your material data sheet for this week :rolleyes: LOL!

·
FASTER THAN A MARE
2,024 Posts
did they give you the bullshyte story of the guy with the mask and a hole with a cigarette hanging out of it?

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Yeah 2buck ...:whistling2: Lets see your material data sheet for this week :rolleyes: LOL!
Hahaha! Good call Moore.

2buck's material sheet:
-1lrg coffee
-2buckjr

So JR can work while 2buck watches. :laughing:

did they give you the bullshyte story of the guy with the mask and a hole with a cigarette hanging out of it?
And seriously!? Haha! That's too funny. Classic.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
We to are like comie Canada. To be able to go onto a construction site you have to have done a Occupational Health and safety induction course. If you wish to use stilts you have to do a stilt safety and maintenance course. For each job you must have all of the relevant MSDS. You must complete a job risk assessment form. You must complete and comply with a safe work method statement. That is in addition to all electrical equipment being inspected and taged for compliance every three months.
It is a wonder we ever get time to work.:furious:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts