Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
NO-COAT NICK
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious what everyone uses to lube up their tools, if at all. I personally use 3-1 oil to lube up my boxes and angle tools. Ive worked for guys that use wd-40 but I will not use it on my tools as Ive heard it eats away at the rubber and plastic parts. Ive used bazooka oil as well, just kind of exspensive and my supply store doesnt stock it.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I used to use wd-40. After talking to a guy at Drywall Master when I purchased a set of new tools, he told me to lube the rubbers with pam cooking spray. It works pretty good.

Supposedly wd-40 swells any rubber parts and pam doesn't.

·
NO-COAT NICK
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ive heard of people using vasoline, motor oil, olive oil, cooking spray, silicone spray, ect. pretty much anything but wd-40. I know for a fact that WD tears up your rubber on the gaskets and wheels. :eek:

·
Registered
644 Posts
Lightly grease everything you can and wipe it all down with a clean rag .. works great on gaskets and keeps the tools ready for the next job. wont dry up and last for along time. I do this to inside of my boxes. cleanup is quicker..and the tools run smoother as well. You can tell the difference..

·
Just Another Idiot
83 Posts
10w-30, I have plenty around when you own a ford ranger
LMAO I know just what you mean man! The one I had a few years ago kept breaking the rings & pumping oil into the breather. 2 rebuilt engines later I sold that POS & never looked back. :)

BTW I use a 20w-50 motor oil on my zooka & it runs smooth as silk. :)

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
I've always used silicon spray but a couple of weeks ago I spotted a can of pams spray-on canola oil in the kitchen and thought there's no harm in trying it, much much better than silicon, you can even lick your box clean with this stuff.....I know what you are thinking :sneaky2:, so unless there's any longer term problems with it I'll keep using it.
Another thing I found with lubes is that lanacote is not the same as lanox, they are both lanolin based but lanacote in a spraycan collects dirt and leaves a thick tacky film on your tools and is more suited to weather protection, where lanox is more like an oily lube and not as thick and greasy.
Would be interesting to hear if anyone has had any bad experiences with there tool lube interfering with paint?

·
post whore
7,772 Posts
Would be interesting to hear if anyone has had any bad experiences with there tool lube interfering with paint?
:yes::yes::yes: Motor oil will, don't ever accidentally spill a jug a jug all over the wall. We had to resort to the homer Simpson rules of survival at work!!!

1) It was like that when I got here
2) blame it on the guy that can't speak english
3) good idea boss

Thank god the drywallers didn't speak english:whistling2:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts