Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Super Moderator
154 Posts
That is what I thought but I am not sure how to handle it with the owner of the company. This is a big drywall contractor and I hired them because I wanted a really good job, not a job that I thought I might get from a handyman. Can you tell me what he did wrong and what I should have him fix? And how do you fix this? Is it normal to have this many seams? Is OK to leave the paper torn off in spots and, if not, what needs to be done, etc? I am not a drywall pro so I don't want to jump to contusions over anything that is not out of line and fixable but I also don't want to get screwed over with a shit job when I am paying a lot of money. I feel sick.
Id call them tell them you want a supervisor to come out, from the pics looks like there are unnecessary seams some of those gaps are questionable at best. Corner bead is a joke. Looks unprofessional all around. The missing paper happens thats not a issue. I'd get on the phone in the morning b4 they send someone out to tape it.

· Super Moderator
154 Posts
Thank you for replying. what should I tell them I want done? I have a tile guy starting in the morning and not sure what can be fixed after the tile. :( And want to add that the owner came out and he saw it all. I asked him about all the seams that are going to be in the most visible spot and why and his response was "I have been doing this for 35 years" and the gist was, "how dare you question me, since you are just a dumb homeowner and a woman at that."
How high are the ceilings in room? The only reason for seams in middle would be the ceiling height over 8' And at this point ask the tile guy what he can work with and what he cant, then address it with drywall co. At a minimum id leave the drywall co. a poor review.

· Super Moderator
154 Posts
Honestly i wouldn't let him back in my house, if he thinks it's a acceptable hang job. He sent a handy man to hang ur project, who knows who he will send to finish it. If you trust the handy man who did ur other room let him finish it. Ive spent 80% of my life in construction and i despise these types of bull Shit contractors.

· Super Moderator
154 Posts

· Super Moderator
154 Posts
In commercial its vertical, ive seen it many time hung vertical in homes/multi family, i guess it is possible he is right, codes do vary. But i suspect he's bullshiting a bit, it didnt look professionally hung.

· Super Moderator
154 Posts
Regardless of code. Horizontal is a far better way to hang in a wood framed structure. There is nothing visible in the pictures you showed that precludes a good finisher from easily producing the finish you've agreed on. Taped seams don't just "show through" They were either there from the start and you didn't notice perhaps it was repainted to a higher sheen that revealed what was already there.
As for extra steps needed to do the job right due to the sloppy hanging job. No. As long as the drywall is well secured and in plane, none of the extreme closeups you showed are really all that important. Especially in a tiny room like a bathroom we are not talking about a huge difference to a finisher... minutes.
Things that would be trouble would be boards that are not well secured, cornerbeads that have the wrong geometry or boards that are hung out of plane with each other. None of that was visible in the pictures.

The real problem here is that you've lost trust in your contractor. (justified or not) Unfortunately you need to either trust him to finish the job or choose to go a different direction.
Did you see the bead? And with how they hung it im not so sure it glued or secured properly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts