Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 440 Posts

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So! Making videos for other drywall talk members or just for the general public has been becoming more and more popular.
So I thought I would open this thread for those who want to Request a video.

I thought we could gear this thread more towards tools and equipment.
How they work, what you'd like to see, comparisons, reviews, pictures, job site demonstrations.

Most of us or at least a few of us have made the effort to put out a few videos for the benefit of other members. We all understand, here on DrywallTalk, that we are professional tradesmen.
Not camera men or film crews. We have to work, and work hard at what we do to make a decent living.

With that being said, we don't expect top notch video production, or fancy editing, or background music!!
However, if you know you're going to be doing something at work that day, that another member might be able to learn from or benefit from.
Why not take an extra 5 minutes to film yourself or another worker with your mobile phone or digital camera!?

For example!
Cazna's 26second video was of great help and offers a great alternative to a mud pump for filling boxes. And im sure, this 26seconds out of his day didn't break the bank. And because of that, others can now benefit.
http://youtu.be/3mgGUWkoGEY

Videos can be straight forward and to the point! Like More!
Who is fairly camera shy! Yet took the time to do this for us!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PABYoG2VVGE
We appreciate it!

So! To kick things off, I would like to let you guys know that I have few videos that will be coming very shortly! In association with WallTools.com and Columbia taping tools. So keep an eye out for those!
walltools-blk.jpg logo.gif

Who knows, maybe later down the road we can start giving away free stuff as incentives for those who regularly post videos for the benefits of others on DrywallTalk.

We all know how much 2buck loves free shirts :laughing:

So!?!?
What do you guys think!? The DrywallTalk community; wants to see most in a video!?
This is the place! Put in your request and maybe someone can answer!!
If no one has the new tool or is able to full-fill the request, I will try my best to acquire the skill set or tools needed to put a video together myself. Lets see it people!
A new bazooka perhaps!?
New stilts?
New extendable handles?
New knives?
Anything and everything you guys are curious about learning!? Or want to see!? Post it here! GO!

·
Wannabe Woodworker
2,041 Posts
sounds good

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I you like to see if the beadboxers really work !
Done! I use to have a pair and they worked pretty well.
I'll talk to Brandon from WallTools and purchase a pair for the video.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Done! I use to have a pair and they worked pretty well.
I'll talk to Brandon from WallTools and purchase a pair for the video.:thumbsup:
I wouldnt waste your money on em PT, I have some, Didnt find them very good but then i guess it depends on your jobs, I like to finsh beads with a 14inch trowel, Beads with lightswitches close to them are annoying with bead boxes, As is tight hallways, So they arnt worth it for me, BUT, Tapepros beadguides look much better than the beadboxer IMO.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wouldnt waste your money on em PT, I have some, Didnt find them very good but then i guess it depends on your jobs, I like to finsh beads with a 14inch trowel, Beads with lightswitches close to them are annoying with bead boxes, As is tight hallways, So they arnt worth it for me, BUT, Tapepros beadguides look much better than the beadboxer IMO.
Hmm....Well maybe i'll try to find the ones I had. A video review was requested, so I said i'd try my best to deliver!
For better or worse. Im sure they have advantages as well as disadvantages.
I remember when I had them it was over 4 years ago when I had just bought my boxes. I was really inexperienced with running boxes back then and I didn't like them much. But allot has changed in that time. Im a pro at running boxes now. I remember that I had to do allot of trips back and forth to the pump. Because beads take allot of mud to fill. But I don't believe I had the fat-boys I do now. So who knows. I'm kind of curious myself to try them again.

·
Drunken Bum!
2,224 Posts
Hmm....Well maybe i'll try to find the ones I had. A video review was requested, so I said i'd try my best to deliver!
For better or worse. Im sure they have advantages as well as disadvantages.
I remember when I had them it was over 4 years ago when I had just bought my boxes. I was really inexperienced with running boxes back then and I didn't like them much. But allot has changed in that time. Im a pro at running boxes now. I remember that I had to do allot of trips back and forth to the pump. Because beads take allot of mud to fill. But I don't believe I had the fat-boys I do now. So who knows. I'm kind of curious myself to try them again.
I have them on my 10 fatboy box and all it does is rip the crap out of the nose of the bead!!:mad: So used not alot,still have another set still in the package!

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have them on my 10 fatboy box and all it does is rip the crap out of the nose of the bead!!:mad: So used not alot,still have another set still in the package!
Wish to make a contribution to a video request then VanMan? :yes:

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Mine did as well, Prob ok on vinyl or steel bead but they take more mud, They arnt worth it i think, But i guess on a stepped ceiling or work like that they could be, Again, I say tapepros bead guides looks better but i havent seen or used any.

·
174 Posts
Thank you PT again.
Is a good video by Moore. Al innovation could fit someone and might be helpful.

Although I am not an engineer, I wonder the less amout of mud could
1) produce flater joints (tape nearer the sheetrock), neater joints.
2) be less stronger? Usually mud-tape-mud sandwich, sounds to be firmer. could this weaken a joint?

I am just thinking.. I like Moore's and anyone innovation idea, as Caznas loading box sistem. Here In fact we have many drywall with masonry encounters, for example making drywall ceilings to masonry houses with wood roof, so, as masonry "moves" different than drywall and use to have different textures, we hang as accurate as possible and use acrylic seallant at the joint (inside corner)

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you PT again.
Is a good video by Moore. Al innovation could fit someone and might be helpful.

Although I am not an engineer, I wonder the less amout of mud could
1) produce flater joints (tape nearer the sheetrock), neater joints.
2) be less stronger? Usually mud-tape-mud sandwich, sounds to be firmer. could this weaken a joint?

I am just thinking.. I like Moore's and anyone innovation idea, as Caznas loading box sistem. Here In fact we have many drywall with masonry encounters, for example making drywall ceilings to masonry houses with wood roof, so, as masonry "moves" different than drywall and use to have different textures, we hang as accurate as possible and use acrylic seallant at the joint (inside corner)

Okay, what do you want know guijarrero?
I didn't quite understand the question.

·
Drunken Bum!
2,224 Posts
Wish to make a contribution to a video request then VanMan? :yes:
And rip the sh*t out of my nice beads!!!:( I will just stick 2 my float!(Trowel for u guys):thumbsup:
Hey i just remembered i have a 10 box in the garage that has like guides on the side of it that r worked with elastic bands so that u can do externals and do normal joints without changing anything!! I got it from another taper and never used the thing!! Its called corner fast and web site is www.cornerfast .com and its made by r&j industries:thumbup:After looking at it i think i might try it as with the guides u r coming in about 2 cm from the edge of the blade and then things r maybe not so sharp 2 rip the crap out of them!!! Time will tell,i will try it soon!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
So is that a special box just as well?? Is this guy running it on the boxed no coat?? Or is that a no coat stick??

·
Drunken Bum!
2,224 Posts
So is that a special box just as well?? Is this guy running it on the boxed no coat?? Or is that a no coat stick??

Cornerfast drywall cornerbead tool in action - YouTube
Hey Caz i,m not 2 sure what he is boxing over!! But if i could get it 2 work like that it would b a bonus thats for sure!:thumbup:I will b tryin the box soon c how it goes!Its a strange box as the blade wont push back!!! The dial only pushes the blade further out and it is solid if u try push it back in:blink:

·
174 Posts
Okay, what do you want know guijarrero?
I didn't quite understand the question.
Not requesting a video or pic now, Its just a constructive criticism intended to discuss (if somemeone want it) the especific internal corner option showed by our friend Moore, if there is something that can be improved or not..

I really don't know if thinnering the mud to much could produce weaker finished joints in a medium long future. What do you all think?

The video is great Moore, the idea and the wheel very interesting..

·
174 Posts
Hey Caz i,m not 2 sure what he is boxing over!! But if i could get it 2 work like that it would b a bonus thats for sure!:thumbup:I will b tryin the box soon c how it goes!Its a strange box as the blade wont push back!!! The dial only pushes the blade further out and it is solid if u try push it back in:blink:
Maybe some parts might be replaced..
However, it looks like you have found a treasure in your garage:yes:

cornerfast.com not working it seems

·
Registered
699 Posts
I've run bead boxers a bit and find they are really good for tall stand ups and the bottoms of long bulkheads, when you have the room, and they do work better on vinyl (square or bull). With just a little practice I was able to run all three coats 10-10-12" and get really nice corners. I bought a 7" columbia thinking it would work really well for the first coat but the Boxers don't fit properly on the axle which is a bummer.

1 - 20 of 440 Posts