Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner

Vertical seams giving me issues....Need advice

2K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  endo_alley 
#1 ·
This particular problem has been plaguing me all winter, and honestly anywhere I'm finishing vertically laid drywall.

After my initial tape coat. I'm applying first coat of mud with 8 inch knife. Then the second coat with a ten. And then either finishing third coat with a 12 or a 10 again. My finished product has a dip in it Uniformly from floor to ceiling. I have attempted to go back over with an 8 inch knife and it doesn't seem to remedy this. This doesnt happen on my horizontal seams. I hope someone has some advice on this.

Thank you

#10 ·
A 15" flat box.
Ahh, ok, yeah I have absolutely no experience with any auto tools.

I tried doing two swipes with a 6 in knife. Going approximately 2 inches on the right side of tape , and then another pass 2 inches over the the left side of the tape. And then wiping off with a 10in knife. This seemed like it helped but it doesn't seem consistent.

#16 ·
Sky Shade Rectangle Road surface Composite material

So the wall got painted, I got a text on sat morning that all the seams are visible.

I tried to fill em in . I'm not sure how successful I was.

I was wondering if a skim blade would help here. I have some new verticals to do and I'm definitely going to try the 10in knife practice that was suggested. I'm thinking my boss may just go get a 15" flat box. I've never used auto tool , but only because I can't afford them. Lol

I really appreciate everyones time, and help. Thank you

#18 ·
View attachment 42095

So the wall got painted, I got a text on sat morning that all the seams are visible.

I tried to fill em in . I'm not sure how successful I was.

I was wondering if a skim blade would help here. I have some new verticals to do and I'm definitely going to try the 10in knife practice that was suggested. I'm thinking my boss may just go get a 15" flat box. I've never used auto tool , but only because I can't afford them. Lol

I really appreciate everyones time, and help. Thank you
You'll regret the 15 inch flat box. If for nothing else just the weight of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.