Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

· Registered
7,775 Posts
Hey any veneer plasterers here in Canada? Or am I the only one!
I think you might be the only one:D

My old partner loved doing the stuff, I got stuck doing it with him, too much like work in my opinion:mad:

He was hoping it would catch on, but it never really did. Guess it was almost 20 years ago now:blink:

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hard work but the day flies by once u have a good routine down, I hate going back time and time to coat and sand and blah blah blah. With veneer you can finish (like glass) 500 sq foot per mix which takes roughly 2 hours... If you really pushed it and the job was right your talking 2000 sq foot per man, per day!!

· Registered
7,775 Posts
Hard work but the day flies by once u have a good routine down, I hate going back time and time to coat and sand and blah blah blah. With veneer you can finish (like glass) 500 sq foot per mix which takes roughly 2 hours... If you really pushed it and the job was right your talking 2000 sq foot per man, per day!!
Actually, that was one of the problems we had selling the system, you need a crew of guys to interest a builder.

To keep math simple, if a one man taping crew did a 10,000 sq house in 10 days, then he is averaging a 1,000 sq feet per day. Some tapers might have a average of more or less, all depends on their over all speed and house type.

So the problem is, you could do a 10,000 sq house in 10 days, but so could a taper, and the veneer cost more. If you can have 10 guys on the job to get the house done in one day, then the builders become interested,,,,,,, but it's hard to keep 10 guys busy every day.

Just one of the little problems we had justifying the system:)

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now now toontowntaper!!! Don't be such a sceptic... Sure thing ill tell you where I working and tell you my builders name.. What could go wrong?

Mister 2 buck...veneer and taping aren't even in the same league, veneer is a level 5 finish. It's stronger, higher quality and eliminates sanding. The materials are more expensive but it's made up for in labour costs. I think I would be in a position to compete with any tapers price and still make money.. Just to get the word out. And another point about veneer is that it isn't water soluble like mud, and it adds an hour to the fire rating

· Registered
367 Posts
I'm not being skeptic at all I'm saying for you to get 10,000 sqft and be able to maintain that amount of sqft to keep busy here in Saskatoon isn't likely.... And I know a majority of the bigger developers here and have framed houses for them and the tape and mud their houses.... I also know the bigger condo developers and they are also tape and mud

To do your plaster is a very small niche for this neck of the woods

· Registered
7,775 Posts
Now now toontowntaper!!! Don't be such a sceptic... Sure thing ill tell you where I working and tell you my builders name.. What could go wrong?

Mister 2 buck...veneer and taping aren't even in the same league, veneer is a level 5 finish. It's stronger, higher quality and eliminates sanding. The materials are more expensive but it's made up for in labour costs. I think I would be in a position to compete with any tapers price and still make money.. Just to get the word out. And another point about veneer is that it isn't water soluble like mud, and it adds an hour to the fire rating
I know the pro's and the con's of the two systems, and I did do a lot of veneer for a while. but toontowntaper just said it right in his last post,,,, you will only get the niche market.

So your going to get the rich, or those that really want plaster. you can't compete head to head with taping:yes:

· drywall slave
10,591 Posts
I know the pro's and the con's of the two systems, and I did do a lot of veneer for a while. but toontowntaper just said it right in his last post,,,, you will only get the niche market.

So your going to get the rich, or those that really want plaster. you can't compete head to head with taping:yes:
And that's a shame since plaster is a much better product .

· Registered
699 Posts
I've heard of some builders using veneer in town, my buddy did the finish work for one builder and the veneer was supposed to be the big selling feature in the house. I would be into checking it out sometime if your willing black.
There is some big money in town now and they want to spend money. I was thinking I would like to learn Venetian to do feature walls, looks cool to me.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sure thing sasktaper... 2 jobs starting to get boarded from Monday so after we get a few days done you can come by if you want, just so you can see the stuff as its curing a d when it's cured, depending on temps anything up to seven days before its ready for paint

· Registered
7,775 Posts
Ok... Quick scenario... 216 sq ft bathroom, how much and how Long to complete?
No question the Veneer will win:thumbsup:

That was one hope we had for the product, doing work for the home owner, selling the system as dust free. The mudding application was dust free, but not the veneer drywall.

The drywall for veneer is awesome, it's half the weight compared to regular drywall (even new lite stuff). But you had to wear a mask to use the router, the product is so chalk like. Sure don't use a router, but the stuff left a dust trial even with simple cutting. Which left the H.O. saying "you said no dust:eek:"

1 - 20 of 110 Posts