Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm looking for some advice. I had a plaster coat a 12x16 super flat ceiling on new blue board and the plaster cracked. Smooth finish Unikal. small Hairline cracks about 25 cent size and spider looking, random. Plaster weld was put on ceiling two days before.

Plaster waited a week and half and came back and didnt use any plaster weld and plastered ceiling. A week later ceiling has hairline long cracks about foot two long...5 or so of them. Looks worst then first coat.

Its been 60 days and the plaster is dry and Unikal says go over the ceiling again with a third coat with plaster weld rolled on before skimming ceiling.

Im wondering if its best to just tape the cracks and hit the ceiling with dryall mud or should I give the palster another chance. is 3 coats too much? Unikal says the ceiling cracked 2nd time because the 1st coat sucked all the moisture out and no plaster weld was used. The plaster came at 8am and was finish by noon...seems like he might of added something to accelerate the drying time. Thanks for the help.

·
Master Mud Monkey
227 Posts
Uh does the board maybe not have enough screws? Try putting in more screws so the board doesn't shift, then take off the tape, use mesh tape and a bag of quick dry join compound. If it still cracks even after all that there might be other problems. Is the place still settling? Have roof work done? Maybe the board in an awkward spot its hard to tell based off some text.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Might have been applied too thin. Might have dried before the plaster had set. This happens when a door or window is left open. Or when there is too much air movement or heat when the mud is stil wet. Also, tape joints with real paper tape and drywall taping mud. Mesh tape under plaster will evenually crack.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts