Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wanting to know if this is an example of a typical drywall return, note the drywall is at an angle to the window/return...
Shade Wood Rectangle Composite material Tints and shades

This was more of what we asked for and expected, but only one of the 14 windows turned out like this...
Blue Wood Shade Flooring Building

I assume square drywall window returns are difficult?

·
Super Moderator
59 Posts
The corner bead pulls the corner out of square.

Takes up to 1/8 compound to fill the bead if framing is decent. But if that horizontal window "jam" has any sort of hook in it, the bead has to be pulled even further to keep a straight line. If there's a twist in framing, then you have even larger adjustment to make to bead.

Corner beads are installed to be straight, not square/level. To be square with bowed lumber , you need to bow the corner bead and it becomes so obvious to the trained eye.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tony, Thanks for the information. Your explanation helps with trying to understand what happened. The wood framing was straight and plumb (within a 1/16th of an inch). When I asked during installation to make sure the returns are square the drywall hangers proceeded to install 1/8" shims (reason not 100% sure) behind the drywall return.

The issues we are having with how it ended up are...
  1. Figure out how to install a wood window sill with no painters caulk (or very little). The drywall is now in a "trapezoid" shape, and this will make the wood window sill fit difficult. We are trying to avoid painters caulk, that is why the windows had drywall receivers, no need to caulk around the window. So would rather not caulk the 3/8 triangular gap between the wood window sill and the drywall jamb return.
  2. The window latch rubs on the drywall return if you are not carful opening the latch (happens on all but one window, the one window that this is not an issue the drywall return was square).
  3. And visually when you stand back and look you can see that the returns are not square (look like a trapezoid). This is what first tipped us off to an issue. We can live with this one, but the other two are more of an issue.
    Building Rectangle Wood Shade Flooring
    Shade Wood Fixture Building Rectangle
    Wood Tints and shades Ceiling Composite material Shade
Are we expecting too much? I went and looked at a couple other drywall returns at places in the area, and if I put a square against the return I can barely note any variation.

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
59 Posts
I wouldn't worry about being out of square, but If a tapered Jam bothers you then just fill overtop the plastic J Bead, as opposed to stopping in front. I don't like doing it but some have made me do it because they dont like the look of the vinyl trim.

You can also slide the wood sill under the Bead and Drywall liner. It just involves taking a multi-tool and cutting precisely the depth of sill. You would then need no caulk In old days sill always went first, then drywall second , to avoid using caulk.

The latch scribing the drywall is not acceptable, I have no idea what they were thinking. If have to shim the window frames, you always use whatever thickness allows you to barely cover windows edge. They told you 1/8! but that's BS. You can work backwards and figure out how much they actually added. For that latch to be touching they shimmed at east 1/2 over windows edge, plus the 5/8 for Board and J-Bead.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts