Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
I worked on a contract basis for 28 years, I think that might qualify me as a professional, don't you?

jdl
Ive been doing this since I could walk. Dose that make a difference? No it does not. You remind me of my dad when it was time for him to retire. No "PR" skills left. The years of builders beating you down on price, bustin your balls on quality and just doing the trade in general makes one into a hard nosed SOB. I mean no disrespect, but if you come into a forum telling people its your way or you are wrong, seems a little arrogant to me.

And no disrespect to my dad either, he was the hardest working SOB I have yet to see. For many years I tried to out do him and I have yet to hold a candle to him. He is always right too. Just the way it is.:D

·
Ultimate Wallboardsman
108 Posts
Ive been doing this since I could walk. Dose that make a difference? No it does not. You remind me of my dad when it was time for him to retire. No "PR" skills left. The years of builders beating you down on price, bustin your balls on quality and just doing the trade in general makes one into a hard nosed SOB. I mean no disrespect, but if you come into a forum telling people its your way or you are wrong, seems a little arrogant to me.

And no disrespect to my dad either, he was the hardest working SOB I have yet to see. For many years I tried to out do him and I have yet to hold a candle to him. He is always right too. Just the way it is.:D
Oh, I'm sorry, I thought it was a discussion forum. I guess that if I suggested someone was wrong with the right sort of "PR", the way you do it, it wouldn't be taken as arrogant.

Certainly, the opinions and/or suggestions of anyone over 50 should be considered as lunatic ramblings from a senile old fart still re-hashing glory days from a by-gone era.

And, of course, such a point of view shouldn't be considered to contain a hint of arrogance. At least not with the proper "PR" wrapped around it.

jdl

·
Mud Manipulator
311 Posts
Oh, I'm sorry, I thought it was a discussion forum. I guess that if I suggested someone was wrong with the right sort of "PR", the way you do it, it wouldn't be taken as arrogant.

Certainly, the opinions and/or suggestions of anyone over 50 should be considered as lunatic ramblings from a senile old fart still re-hashing glory days from a by-gone era.

And, of course, such a point of view shouldn't be considered to contain a hint of arrogance. At least not with the proper "PR" wrapped around it.

jdl

See you can teach an old dog new tricks:thumbsup:.

It is a discussion forum. I have been in this trade for 16 years. I worked with 6 different old timers that thought they were the best. 10 years I worked under these guys before I learned that they were all full of crap and all they wanted from me was to pay me $12 an hour and make another $ 20 an hr off my work.
I like to joke around that I am the best because I have the combined experiece of 180 years of drywalling masters experience. What does that make me but a drywalling god. I have hand taped, and finished with most of the systems out there, and now I am learning Apla Tech ( very cool).
What I am trying to say is that everyone here (that is a professional) has their way of getting their job done. I don't know about any of you guys , but I can do this job in my sleep. It gets monotonouse so trying new things breaks up the monotony. Some suggestions from these forums I use, some I dont want to take the time to master, and some are just down right stupid. I still have fun though because I am not the best and still learn new things all the time from these forums. I just feel sorry for those of you that think your way is the best!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Monotony, tell me about it. Try this one-it's alot of fun.-Get yourself a leaf rake and dip the head in the mud and start smearing it on the joints in any which way or fashion. Let dry and apply a second application. -there you go -now you've got it! Then get some stiff, out of work finisher to sand this wonderful, artsy mess. Most likely the guy is so desperate he'll do it and not say a word. If he complains tell him he's a hack and put him back on the street. Breaks up the monotony doesn't it? :thumbup:

·
Registered
64 Posts

It is a discussion forum. I have been in this trade for 16 years. I worked with 6 different old timers that thought they were the best. 10 years I worked under these guys before I learned that they were all full of crap and all they wanted from me was to pay me $12 an hour and make another $ 20 an hr off my work.
I like to joke around that I am the best because I have the combined experiece of 180 years of drywalling masters experience. What does that make me but a drywalling god. I have hand taped, and finished with most of the systems out there, and now I am learning Apla Tech ( very cool).
What I am trying to say is that everyone here (that is a professional) has their way of getting their job done. I don't know about any of you guys , but I can do this job in my sleep. It gets monotonouse so trying new things breaks up the monotony. Some suggestions from these forums I use, some I dont want to take the time to master, and some are just down right stupid. I still have fun though because I am not the best and still learn new things all the time from these forums. I just feel sorry for those of you that think your way is the best!
X2:thumbsup::yes:

·
Ultimate Wallboardsman
108 Posts

Well I think that it is a wonderful thing that you could figure all of that out after only ten years of working under scale for someone else. I've heard that in Alberta, they are so in need of finishers, that they are paying $30 an hour to guys off the street with 6 months experience. How much more does your extensive experience get you??

I feel sorry for any drywall finisher that is unable to make $50 an hour for his time, one trick that apparently remains with the old dogs.

jdl

·
Mud Manipulator
311 Posts
Well I think that it is a wonderful thing that you could figure all of that out after only ten years of working under scale for someone else. I've heard that in Alberta, they are so in need of finishers, that they are paying $30 an hour to guys off the street with 6 months experience. How much more does your extensive experience get you??

I feel sorry for any drywall finisher that is unable to make $50 an hour for his time, one trick that apparently remains with the old dogs.

jdl

Not so much now but yes that was the case . Although it isn't by the hr here all sub - contract work. So I with my extensive knowledge blow the youngens away with speed and quality. The newbies make nothing because they get back charged for all there mistakes and take way too long ( 2 weeks to 1 month ) to complete lets say an average of 9000 bft. I make more than 50 p hr and work usually only 6 hr days. I do average of 35 000 bft per month with just my wife and I.
That being said it is very sad because everybody here thinks that they are worth more than they are , but the cost of living demands that workers be paid more than their experience level to keep workers here. Buildings were going up so fast that contractors would get people in no matter what their skill level , just so they had bodies in there. The profits they make off the inflated housing market easily covered the cost of fixing any mistakes that all trades made( only if noticed by HO, or building inspectors which were probably very inexperienced as well). IMHO it has been the saddest 2 years of building Quality that I have ever seen. I would be affraid to buy a house here that was built in the last 3 years.
Finding and training an apprentice I gave up on since I moved here. That is why my wife works with me. ( She is the best helper I have ever had by the way). Like I said before everybody wants more than they deserve. Alberta has its share of quality tradesman they just dont happen to be all at the same building.

·
Ultimate Wallboardsman
108 Posts
Not so much now but yes that was the case . Although it isn't by the hr here all sub - contract work. So I with my extensive knowledge blow the youngens away with speed and quality. The newbies make nothing because they get back charged for all there mistakes and take way too long ( 2 weeks to 1 month ) to complete lets say an average of 9000 bft. I make more than 50 p hr and work usually only 6 hr days. I do average of 35 000 bft per month with just my wife and I.
That being said it is very sad because everybody here thinks that they are worth more than they are , but the cost of living demands that workers be paid more than their experience level to keep workers here. Buildings were going up so fast that contractors would get people in no matter what their skill level , just so they had bodies in there. The profits they make off the inflated housing market easily covered the cost of fixing any mistakes that all trades made( only if noticed by HO, or building inspectors which were probably very inexperienced as well). IMHO it has been the saddest 2 years of building Quality that I have ever seen. I would be affraid to buy a house here that was built in the last 3 years.
Finding and training an apprentice I gave up on since I moved here. That is why my wife works with me. ( She is the best helper I have ever had by the way). Like I said before everybody wants more than they deserve. Alberta has its share of quality tradesman they just dont happen to be all at the same building.
That's the way it works in a high demand market, being more productive and sound in your skills, is the best way to stay busy regardless of demand, but you never can really load up when it is booming. You get thru the lean times on skill and merit, then when the boom comes, the other guy comes to town to scoop up most of your reward.

Unfortunately, the standards are the first thing to go when the drywall needs to be done and there is no one waiting to jump on it. The pool for apprentices isn't very deep anywhere.

jdl

41 - 49 of 49 Posts