Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So has anyone used the new dust free mud? And what is everyone running for mixers? I just picked up a RIGID hammer drill.....Burnt it out in one day lol. Could not even handle mixing a box of mud.:( Had to mix 1/3rd at a time:mad: Took forever. So i know my old boss use to use a Makita Heavy drill to mix and it seemed to work. But the rigid had a life time warranty on it. But it seems like it is not goin to cut it? So looking for any ideas. And also what kinda tape do any of you's use? Me paper with green mud. But any ideas for faster app would be great:thumbsup:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have not used the mud you are describing. I use the Dewalt heavy duty 1/2" drill cost about $100.00 & they last about a year. We also use it to mix grout and stucco on patch jobs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Rember the box stores have a NO questions return policy and they are not that smarth either. Sorry to offend anybody but it is true here. Just bring it back or contact your Dewalt rep & it will be replaced. My local Dewalt rep lets me demo a lot of the newer tools that will be comming out for free! I am supose to see if I can break them under normal use, its kinda fun at times but you have to make sure you have a backup for everything your trying so when it breaks you can still work.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Dust free mud works great for it's intended purpose, don't try to texture with it or anything crazy.

For drills. The best I have used are one speed Low RPM drills. Had a Hitachi last over ten years. Have had a few DW's and just bought a one speed Rigid 1/2" this morning for myself :) seems to work great. I think it will spin anything you throw at it.

As far as mixers. The Jiffler is my #1 choice since I use buckets all the time. But if boxes were my deal the sheetrock mixer is badaZZ.

Nate

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Makes sense LOL So a low RPM Drill is better then a high one with like 3000rpm. See did not know that. The guy sold us a 2500rpm vsr hammer drill and it burnt out the first nite. So clean up is alot faster with the dust free? Cause i know with blue mud (extrqa light) It is so duty and takes a couple sweeps to clean up

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
CGC inc. Get it from TIMBRA MART. It is called dust free. Suppose to have very little air borne dust. Never used it before.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So do any of you's use Round corner beed? and what kind do you prefer?
And i have heard of a Drywall Bazooka? has anyone ever used this?

·
Registered
12 Posts
We call the round cornerbead "Bullnose" down here in NorCal. A lot of the housing tracts that we bid get bullnose on all of the outside corners and cornerbead at all of the windows.

The bazooka is an excellent tool. When I was in the field, I used that thing as often as humanly possible to string tape. It's way faster than a banjo or (God forbid) by hand.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Do not want to sound rude but i am thinkin they seem to make it so anybody can drywall. Instead of it being a trade it is just another machine that someone can be trained on?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Do not want to sound rude but i am thinkin they seem to make it so anybody can drywall. Instead of it being a trade it is just another machine that someone can be trained on?
The bazooka has been around sense the 1950s.It takes years to master the tube for a quality and speed tape job.It would be totally useless in the hands of a DIYer!

·
other guy
82 Posts
Mad Mudder: The bazooka is not a 1-shot deal. All it really does is string out the tape, and place mud under it. It accomplishes 2 things: Speeds up tape application time, reduces wear and tear in your hand bones.

You still have to finish the walls properly. Even with the boxes, a seasoned finisher cannot do it with his eyes closed.

Mechanical tools cannot do the job for you. They make it easier.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
One thing to keep in mind about the bazooka is, it helps if your arms are bigger in diameter than it is. Cuz if they aren't, you probably can't lift it to do the ceiling. It is a finesse tool, yet it takes braun to run it. They are worth every dime they cost, if you do drywall all of the time. Another thing to know about the bazooka is, there are 196 parts on it. Check out a parts list sometime.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts