Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I would like to state up front that I work in a Modular Home Plant. We rent our tools from Ames.

Earlier this week a guy comes in and wants to sell us some Tape-Tec boxes. Brings in a brand-new in the box 12". So my foreman comes to me and asks me to look at it. So I do, looks almost identical to my Northstar boxes, just a diff color. Looks like a nice box. The spring set-up is different than the Ames boxes we use.

So I ask, can we try it out? The answer was no, we have to buy it. :censored: So my foreman tells him right out, there is no way that we are buying a set of tools without trying them, and that Ames has treated us very well over the past few months. With the slow home-buying market, we have reduced production, and Ames is only charging us half price.

The guy is supposed to be stopping in tomorrow, so we'll see if he brings a set that we can try out.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
What's on everyone's mind, I'm sure.

It will be interesting to see if Ames owned Tape Tech pushes further to take business away from the Ames rental business...(which brings in more revenue long term).

·
Premium Member
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The guy wasn't a salesman for Ames, I guess his company buys the tools wholesale, and re-sells them. Regardless, he didn't show up today, so I guess we'll wait till monday.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would like to state up front that I work in a Modular Home Plant. We rent our tools from Ames.

Earlier this week a guy comes in and wants to sell us some Tape-Tec boxes. Brings in a brand-new in the box 12". So my foreman comes to me and asks me to look at it. So I do, looks almost identical to my Northstar boxes, just a diff color. Looks like a nice box. The spring set-up is different than the Ames boxes we use.

So I ask, can we try it out? The answer was no, we have to buy it. :censored: So my foreman tells him right out, there is no way that we are buying a set of tools without trying them, and that Ames has treated us very well over the past few months. With the slow home-buying market, we have reduced production, and Ames is only charging us half price.

The guy is supposed to be stopping in tomorrow, so we'll see if he brings a set that we can try out.
We also do modulars homes,would like to hear your time lines and procedures?

·
Premium Member
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
George, did you mean from start to finish or just the finishing side of it?

The finishing is pretty straight forward

• tape flats and legs w/ bazooka using Sheetrock's TufSet 45
    tape coves with mudrunner using zoomaflex and tufset
    1st coat flats w/ 7" box and tufset
    2nd and 3rd coat flats w/ 10" & 12" boxes and easysand
    off angle's are taped with ultraflex 425
    beads get 3 coats
    inside corners get 2 coats applied by hand
    sanding is done with a porter cable power sander and vac

·
Registered
55 Posts
George, did you mean from start to finish or just the finishing side of it?

The finishing is pretty straight forward

• tape flats and legs w/ bazooka using Sheetrock's TufSet 45
    tape coves with mudrunner using zoomaflex and tufset
    1st coat flats w/ 7" box and tufset
    2nd and 3rd coat flats w/ 10" & 12" boxes and easysand
    off angle's are taped with ultraflex 425
    beads get 3 coats
    inside corners get 2 coats applied by hand
    sanding is done with a porter cable power sander and vac
Tape flats and angles with bazooka,high denisty 90,light sand 90 7inch,regular mud for 10inch.Angles done with corner box with mud.Hard to get corners dry, Use 425 on all off angles,all ceilings are smooth.What is your time on tape to finish?

·
Premium Member
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I never really timed it from start to finish, there are only 6 of us taping and finishing, so we work across multiple units at the same time. We run a coat in one unit, and then go on to another until the unit is dry, then we'll go back and hit it again.

I'll tell ya this, you haven't seen anyone run a bazooka until they have a setting compound in it, LOL. We use 45 min mud, but till it's been on and off the wall a few times, it really starts to get ugly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts