Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently just use blue chalk to tint my drywall, I noticed that when I paint, Sherwin-Williams paint covers it just fine. However, I blow through a lot of chalk which is fairly cheap, but I do have your Sherwin-Williams account and I've heard of people putting tinted paint in their drywall compound. I only use this technique so that at the end of the job I can tell what needs to be touched up, or I use it to differentiate different coats when the job is a little bit complex.
So has anybody had any experience putting say a darker blue paints in some drywall compound and mixed it and put on the wall? Does it sand okay, or does it screw up the compound? Thanks!

By the way, I'm not asking this so that I can just tint my compound and not paint the wall, I've heard of people doing this and I think it's the dumbest thing around

·
Registered
11 Posts
any paint will "screw up" the sanding properties. why are you tinting the mud? i have seen 2 guys in all my years tinting. they did it so the touchups could be seen all over and didnt skip any sanding. i dont know of another reason to do it though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I currently just use blue chalk to tint my drywall, I noticed that when I paint, Sherwin-Williams paint covers it just fine. However, I blow through a lot of chalk which is fairly cheap, but I do have your Sherwin-Williams account and I've heard of people putting tinted paint in their drywall compound. I only use this technique so that at the end of the job I can tell what needs to be touched up, or I use it to differentiate different coats when the job is a little bit complex.
So has anybody had any experience putting say a darker blue paints in some drywall compound and mixed it and put on the wall? Does it sand okay, or does it screw up the compound? Thanks!

By the way, I'm not asking this so that I can just tint my compound and not paint the wall, I've heard of people doing this and I think it's the dumbest thing around
Just use food coloring. Cheap and easy and works like a charm.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Its the same as sanding a painted wall... It Sucks... You're gonna have problems with sanding your touch-up its almost as stupid as people putting soap in their taping mud

1 - 8 of 8 Posts