Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
moore said:
Sounds like the new guy Is bossing you around! :D LOL!!!!
When it comes to drywall I learn something new All the time. Supposedly the box is old and doesn't work as good as hand finishing. I'm wondering if he even has one.

·
drywall slave
10,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I have tried it..It was a wrestling match between the mud and the hawk.
It just didn't seem to me 'the right thing to do'...but some old fart here on DWT said If you add a scoop of l/w mud to a bucket of a/p It will cut the pocs down...Not sure who that old fart was :whistling2: ,,but he was right.. It cuts the pocs down but makes for a gummy mix . IMO It's best to use whats given and leave the foreign additives out. Unless were talking hot muds!!! adding glue to hot mud can never hurt. =insurance .

JM 2 CENTS!

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I have tried it..It was a wrestling match between the mud and the hawk.
It just didn't seem to me 'the right thing to do'...but some old fart here on DWT said If you add a scoop of l/w mud to a bucket of a/p It will cut the pocs down...Not sure who that old fart was :whistling2: ,,but he was right.. It cuts the pocs down but makes for a gummy mix . IMO It's best to use whats given and leave the foreign additives out. Unless were talking hot muds!!! adding glue to hot mud can never hurt. =insurance .

JM 2 CENTS!

You sure some ole fart didn't tell ya to add a pan of hot-mud powder to your AP for the first coat on beads??????

Gee man, i think your losing it

·
post whore
7,772 Posts
I don't think adding soap to a material that is ment to stick sounds like a wise thing to do?

Isn't ap & lw the same thing?
AP is in the middle of taping and topping

It's sorta like this, USG/CGC mud colour code is like this

green - taping mud
Red - all purpose
Blue - topping mud

If you mix green and blue, you would get a AP mud (middle ground)

There was a time when the mud was just the green , then they came out with the blue. A lot of guys began to mix them together. So they began to manufacture mud more that way (that's what my supply guy told me any how:whistling2:).

Now they have all fancy types of mud, muds for spray, machine mud, ultra light etc........

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
2buckcanuck said:
AP is in the middle of taping and topping

It's sorta like this, USG/CGC mud colour code is like this

green - taping mud
Red - all purpose
Blue - topping mud

If you mix green and blue, you would get a AP mud (middle ground)

There was a time when the mud was just the green , then they came out with the blue. A lot of guys began to mix them together. So they began to manufacture mud more that way (that's what my supply guy told me any how:whistling2:).

Now they have all fancy types of mud, muds for spray, machine mud, ultra light etc........
We use green & blue usg buckets for top coat. Never seen red buckets from usg.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
2buckcanuck said:
Sorry, had to give you the Canuck colour codes CGC (box colours not buckets)

It can make this site confusing:blink:
The buckets and bags confuse the homeowners and handymen over here.

All-purpose is not for All purposes. It's light and fluffy. Shrinks a lot and cracks easily. Apply thin and tight.

Easy sand ( bag mix) Does not sand easily. Good for prefills and Heavy fills.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts

All-purpose is not for All purposes. It's light and fluffy. Shrinks a lot and cracks easily. Apply thin and tight.

Oh sure,,,,,, and Santa don't really exist either,,,,,,,,

Gee man, you make me sad:rolleyes:

·
drywall slave
10,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #74 (Edited)

L/w mud and a/p are two totally different creatures .. I'm not sure where your coming from bro.. USG plus 3 and rapid coat lafarge.etc are the light & fluffy mud [topping mud] . A/P Is dense /thick . I call BS on the light weight being A/P.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
moore said:
L/w mud and a/p are two totally different creatures .. I'm not sure where your coming from bro.. USG plus 3 and rapid coat lafarge.etc are the light & fluffy mud [topping mud] . A/P Is dense /thick . I call BS on the light weight being A/P.
The blue label should be l/ w topping not l/w a/p. this is confusing. But good for business.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sorry I thought the real light blue lid that says topping on the side was for :whistling2::whistling2::whistling2: What does that make the puke green lid Ultra light weight for?

·
Premium Member
1,962 Posts
We did a job a while back using Proform light weight A/P (light blue lid) for everything. This was before they released it on the market (plain unmarked white buckets), in our area at least. Coated decent enough, but didn't like the taper. Seemed like when you would start running a seam, it would compress and we got dry tapes. Supposedly, they reworked the formula after that. At least we got some shirts out of the deal.

Another job a few months ago, we used the "reworked" stuff to coat a job. Wasn't pretty. Hard to sand, and pock marks!:mad: Needless to say we went back to using Rapid Coat. We did the 2nd story, another crew did the 1st. They didn't have any problems with it. :rolleyes: Then again, they never do, if you're picking up what I'm putting down. :yes:

·
Icerock drywall facebook
2,468 Posts
We did a job a while back using Proform light weight A/P (light blue lid) for everything. This was before they released it on the market (plain unmarked white buckets), in our area at least. Coated decent enough, but didn't like the taper. Seemed like when you would start running a seam, it would compress and we got dry tapes. Supposedly, they reworked the formula after that. At least we got some shirts out of the deal.

Another job a few months ago, we used the "reworked" stuff to coat a job. Wasn't pretty. Hard to sand, and pock marks!:mad: Needless to say we went back to using Rapid Coat. We did the 2nd story, another crew did the 1st. They didn't have any problems with it. :rolleyes: Then again, they never do, if you're picking up what I'm putting down. :yes:
I never use blue mud....black or green ap or durabond is all I use :thumbsup:

·
Registered
875 Posts
heavy weight all purpose is a stronger taping mud than our canadian light weight taping muds IMO. we don't have heavy muds up here. the light taping muds are easier to work with and still have more than adequate adhesion but i think the heavy weight muds make for a stronger joint.

61 - 80 of 85 Posts