Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
You guys probably already knew this but what makes half used buckets of mud stink is once opened to the air bacteria starts to form. Once the bucket is closed and after a bit you get that soured smell and stink. To stop this wash down the sides, level the top, add enough water to cover the top, then add a little bleach. The bleach will stop the bacteria from growing. Just remember to pour the water off before you mix the mud. Partially used buckets can be kept a lot longer this way.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Recently I opened a fresh new bucket of sheetrock mud, full of mould, it sure as hell didn't smell fresh either :no:

·
post whore
7,772 Posts
Has anyone ever heard of putting dish soap into topping mud?
Putting dish washing soap in the mud can almost lead to arguments like,,,,,,, dare I say "me$h vs paper tape":whistling2:

To me, I won't debate it, what ever gets your sheep to flock together for you, go for it:thumbup:................BUTT !!!!!

I would not be stealing your wives dish washing soap, I would be getting a product from a actual drywall supply house. The stuff you buy over the counter could lead to issues. The main one well your using it is, when you sand your work your eyes will burn(but you will smell all pretty:rolleyes:)But think about why your eyes are burning and you smell so pretty,,,,, theres all types of cleaning agents in it. So the biggest issue I heard to using it, is the soap reacts to the paint, causing it to fade/shadow where ever soapy mud was used.

I know some may call bull on this, but I remember back in the 1990's it was a big issue. If the DWC/builders/ or job supers caught you using soap, they would flip out on you. If I remember right, when they primed the walls with white primer, there would be a yellow tinge coming through the paint, where ever soap/mud combo was used. I do remember Sun Light dish soap was the brand that every taper swore was the best so..........

41 - 60 of 85 Posts