Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Wannabe Woodworker
2,041 Posts
bringing this one back to life. i bought some beadex all purpose when i was down in the states last week. it was mid weight at least. those little square boxes were HEAVY. i have never seen anything other than lite mud before. noticable differance. i decided to use it for my bed and finish coats. NEVER AGAIN!!!!! i have never had to sand so hard in my life:eek:. mid weight muds are another beast. thank god it was a garage because i got pissed off and stopped trying to sand out things i usually would. the one thing i would say is it makes an awesome taping mud. better than our lite taping muds. but it really was heavy. it is also what i tried to use in my bazooka for the first time. why not make a hard thing even more difficult right:thumbup:
our lite all purose is like a topping mud compared to that.
were they the yellow boxes?

·
post whore
7,772 Posts
:lol:Here carpenter I get pro form a/p,and USG a/p ,, DENSE ,, very hard to sand. :yes:. Pocs,,scratches , hard to sand.. I catch hell for my over kill ,but that's what it takes for me to not kill myself on sand day. Tapers here will not tape with the gray USG,,only the white,,, The gray USG has a poor bond ,and takes FOREVER to dry,,and gummy.

[email protected] ..... The limestone In the northern states white.
The limestone in the southern states gray.

A N/G rep told me this years ago. How true it is ,,not sure.:blink:
I do know the whiter the stronger,and drys much faster.

The gray Is great for stipple/tex ...covers,,and hides well.
This is just my opinion guys,,,Don't throw me under the bus.
Where does the brown mud come from, the few times I have played with the American mud, it's been brown in colour,.We have some that have a touch of grey to them. Some of our muds are a really pure white. Are they tinting your muds, and if so why ?????

·
drywall slave
10,565 Posts
Where does the brown mud come from, the few times I have played with the American mud, it's been brown in colour,.We have some that have a touch of grey to them. Some of our muds are a really pure white. Are they tinting your muds, and if so why ?????
YOU tell me . Been trying to find the answer to that forever ,and a day.
This Building supply has USG green top GRAY.
Drive a county over to another supply ,,,, USG white. :blink::blink: no markings to tell one from the other.
It use to be the same way with the blacktop proform ,, but In the last 7 years or so the proform has been white white.
ALL lowe's here carry the green top [gray] . That I can say for sure.
The gray USG ..... WILL NOT DRY FOR CHIT. gummy ,,like the plus 3 ,and light weight stuff.:D:D:blink:

·
Does It Work!?
3,292 Posts
bringing this one back to life. i bought some beadex all purpose when i was down in the states last week. it was mid weight at least. those little square boxes were HEAVY. i have never seen anything other than lite mud before. noticable differance. i decided to use it for my bed and finish coats. NEVER AGAIN!!!!! i have never had to sand so hard in my life:eek:. mid weight muds are another beast. thank god it was a garage because i got pissed off and stopped trying to sand out things i usually would. the one thing i would say is it makes an awesome taping mud. better than our lite taping muds. but it really was heavy. it is also what i tried to use in my bazooka for the first time. why not make a hard thing even more difficult right:thumbup:
our lite all purose is like a topping mud compared to that.
We use Synko lite taping mud through the bazookas. Never had a problem with it that I know of: http://www.homedepot.ca/product/syn...ping-compound-ready-mixed-155-l-carton/911215

·
FASTER THAN A MARE
2,024 Posts
could'nt Imagine

I could not imagine using all purpose mud to tape and yes that is what happens, it cracks,

As for the Big head first, I think that is F&*k$d up and no I have never done it that way and never would, 2.5 and then 3.5 makes way more cents (Pun intended)

·
Premium Member
1,967 Posts
I could not imagine using all purpose mud to tape and yes that is what happens, it cracks,

As for the Big head first, I think that is F&*k$d up and no I have never done it that way and never would, 2.5 and then 3.5 makes way more cents (Pun intended)
:eek: Did you just bash other peoples' methods....with out trying it? LOOK OUT and take cover everyone!! :gunsmilie:

·
post whore
7,772 Posts
:eek: Did you just bash other peoples' methods....with out trying it? LOOK OUT and take cover everyone!! :gunsmilie:
I'm in the mood to argue.... I mean debate,since my dependable ford broke down, but I agree with him about the mud type, and the head sizes and order their used in:(

·
FASTER THAN A MARE
2,024 Posts
wow

thanks for pointing that out, sorry folks I thought this is easier on a fellow taper...

and no I don't want to step into the Strrreet at Sundown, but my apprentice Rusty will

·
Does It Work!?
3,292 Posts
but I agree with him about the mud type
:eek:

Really? Always cracks?

Haven't seen that with the Synko All-Purpose. Yet. But then I haven't been back to lots of jobs where we've used it on occasion to tape with.

We've sometimes used Synko AP to tape smaller areas, such as when it's a small fix or small reno, and there's just all-purpose brought to the job site to use.

·
post whore
7,772 Posts
:eek:

Really? Always cracks?

Haven't seen that with the Synko All-Purpose. Yet. But then I haven't been back to lots of jobs where we've used it on occasion to tape with.

We've sometimes used Synko AP to tape smaller areas, such as when it's a small fix or small reno, and there's just all-purpose brought to the job site to use.
Not familiar with the synko mud, but you typed synko LITE taping mud, it's just that lite muds are topping muds, not as much glue in them, so their not so great to tape with.

But a quick google of synko's mud types may give you your answer, make sure which one your using:thumbup:

·
FASTER THAN A MARE
2,024 Posts
Not familiar with the synko mud, but you typed synko LITE taping mud, it's just that lite muds are topping muds, not as much glue in them, so their not so great to tape with.

But a quick google of synko's mud types may give you your answer, make sure which one your using:thumbup:
Shrinko has alot of glue in it and let me tell ya don't scratch your N8ts with muddy hands, or it's of to the El Pressure washer to remove it

·
Does It Work!?
3,292 Posts

It's the LITE we use. They also have a CLASSIC AP: http://www.cgcinc.com/en/products/joint-treatment/ready-to-use-compounds/synko%C2%AE-classic-all-purpose-drywall-compound.aspx?pType=PRO

Synko's LITE AP is listed for putting on tapes: http://www.cgcinc.com/en/products/j...-all-purpose-drywall-compound-.aspx?pType=PRO

As I said, no feedback on it cracking that I've heard of. As Joe suggested, maybe it's a little less 'lite' than other lites?

·
post whore
7,772 Posts
It's the LITE we use. They also have a CLASSIC AP: http://www.cgcinc.com/en/products/j...c-all-purpose-drywall-compound.aspx?pType=PRO

Synko's LITE AP is listed for putting on tapes: http://www.cgcinc.com/en/products/j...-all-purpose-drywall-compound-.aspx?pType=PRO

As I said, no feedback on it cracking that I've heard of. As Joe suggested, maybe it's a little less 'lite' than other lites?
your links don't work

Think it's just the "term" LITE, every other mud manufacturer uses the term lite for topping muds, here's the ones we use, the orange, the yellow is BMITJ and the blue is lite, or easy sand, http://www.certainteed.com/products/gypsum/joint-finishing-compounds

AP is the so called miracle mud, if you can call it that, you can tape, coat/bed and skim/top with it. the old days (for a while) you used one to tape with, then a different type to coat with, then one to top with. Tapers in the field started combining them. Then the mud companies caught on, and made a all purpose

·
Rock'n Hawk
1,523 Posts

We used AP mud for years before taping mud ever existed and it worked just fine. Problems arose when machines became more popular and noob operators were watering it down to much and wiping all the mud out of the joint because it was so soft. I can still see in my mind some contractors going crazy from all the call backs.:eek:

As for head selection I prefer your routine also. Kinda like coating screws. I do 4",4" then 6". Not 6",4" then 4". Doesn't make sense, to me anyway.

This Synko is definitely good for taping but I find it a bit gummy. Likes to leave stretch marks for lack of a better description.

If I was a super rich goon I'd buy out Synko and shut them down.:yes:

Attachments

·
Does It Work!?
3,292 Posts
your links don't work

Think it's just the "term" LITE, every other mud manufacturer uses the term lite for topping muds, here's the ones we use, the orange, the yellow is BMITJ and the blue is lite, or easy sand, http://www.certainteed.com/products/gypsum/joint-finishing-compounds

AP is the so called miracle mud, if you can call it that, you can tape, coat/bed and skim/top with it. the old days (for a while) you used one to tape with, then a different type to coat with, then one to top with. Tapers in the field started combining them. Then the mud companies caught on, and made a all purpose
I could see where maybe the 'lite' is creating problems. Synko's 'LITE' compound line: Calls their taping mud Lite Joint; AP is Lite Line; and their topping Lite Finish.

·
Drunken Bum!
2,224 Posts
Wew have a mud over here that gyproc make and its brown! Its sh*t 2 sand ,hard as nails!!! Then u get usg plus three which is see through till it drys:eek: Then gyproc promix is like a yellow/brown in colour and usg allpurpose is like a sand colour:blink: Not sure why everything is a dif colour but the deeper the colour of the mud makes the joints look better as it seems 2 hide stuff like high edges compared 2 the usg plus 3!But all in all plus 3 is the stuff makes a great job:thumbsup: I have even taken on your 2 box method with plus 3 and will put up a pic soon of a house i am nearly finished c what u guys over the pond think of it;)

·
Wannabe Woodworker
2,041 Posts
it was the red box. a shade darker red than the lite all purpose. beadex.
they also make a yellow heavyweight tapin mud that woorks really well for tapin only....just heavy tho

·
Registered
267 Posts
Stay away from the brown mud

Reminds me of Woodstock ... last time I saw brown mud, the Johnny on the Spot was full and some character thought it would be funny to bury a terd or two in the mud bucket.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts