Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
thats two comments about confill from you now. i'd like to hear your opinions on the stuff. i've always thought it was a great product for fixing big booboos.

·
Just doing my job.
464 Posts
Look up the product on CGC's website. It's designed for an entirely different purpose.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Look up the product on CGC's website. It's designed for an entirely different purpose.
so the question is, do you prefill and what with? i've just always used confill and not really tried other ways. i'm always doing reno's in old places matching up new drywall to old plaster. for me it's irreplaceable. open to other products and ideas though.

·
post whore
7,772 Posts
so the question is, do you prefill and what with? i've just always used confill and not really tried other ways. i'm always doing reno's in old places matching up new drywall to old plaster. for me it's irreplaceable. open to other products and ideas though.
You could try plaster of paris with the small jobs, but you got to be really damn fast. You put mud on a mixing board, make a circle, put a coffee cup full of water in middle, throw in the plaster of paris. Let it absorb the water, mix it with your knife really fast,then apply really fast.
I'm sure dsjohn could explain better........He's the plaster master
when you get use to the small mixes, you can increase the batch sizes. And mix with a drill. it reacts fast.
you can prefill,lay tape, coat and skim in one day.
There are some pro's and cons to this method

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
just picked up a bunch of proroc AP. i haven't tried it in a while. see how i like it on monday. it's out of my way to get it so i have to stock up when i do..

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
i HATE it. and i now remember exactly why i never liked it. no matter how hard i try i cannot mix the bubbles out of it. more mixing, less mixing same result. it pocks like crazy:furious: it is taking me at least one or two more passes over it to get the pocks and fisheyes out which adds up to a lot of time. any faithful proroc users have any suggestions? i still have five more boxes of frustration to use.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You could try plaster of paris with the small jobs, but you got to be really damn fast. You put mud on a mixing board, make a circle, put a coffee cup full of water in middle, throw in the plaster of paris. Let it absorb the water, mix it with your knife really fast,then apply really fast.
I'm sure dsjohn could explain better........He's the plaster master
when you get use to the small mixes, you can increase the batch sizes. And mix with a drill. it reacts fast.
you can prefill,lay tape, coat and skim in one day.
There are some pro's and cons to this method

Another method we uses it you do as 2buck said, but make a bigger donut. When you mix, split the mix like a pizza, and just mix a portion that you need. leave the rest unmixed and once you need more, mix a new portion. By letting the plaster of paris in only water, it takes more time before it seize. Using that method you can delay a batch and use it for about 25-30 minutes instead of the 10-15 minutes. Also, the more the plaster stays in water, the more it absorb it and the less granular your mix will be.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've been on my own for 28 months. I only use Pro Form now. I use all purpose for taping and embed the tap in it. Then finish coat with blue lid. Haven't had a call back yet and I have gone back to check on some of my work at certain houses where I know they won't mind.

·
drywall slave
10,565 Posts
i HATE it. and i now remember exactly why i never liked it. no matter how hard i try i cannot mix the bubbles out of it. more mixing, less mixing same result. it pocks like crazy:furious: it is taking me at least one or two more passes over it to get the pocks and fisheyes out which adds up to a lot of time. any faithful proroc users have any suggestions? i still have five more boxes of frustration to use.
pro form/ usg a/p . I hate it too. thanxs to ds john .. I looked up no-pocs
at all wall. ordered 4 bottles.. worth a try. I do the same.. extra skim over
seams/butts/bead.. sand the :censored:out of the angles.. more time means
less $$$! never liked the pro rock mud or rock, but if your like me we use what the g/c or local supply sends. dig up some red clay,, throw it in a bucket,,, can't be any worse than some of the many a/p out there now.:D

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
i'm going to try hamiltons AP next. they have a supplier about five minutes away from me. they don't really do small sales. just to big drywall suppliers in the area but the guy said he would sell me some. $12 a box before tax. everything else around here is $18ish a box. i might just buy a pallet and mark up every box i use if i like the stuff. i don't think i'll be using proroc again. i'm still on my search for my favourite AP.

·
Average Member
3,145 Posts
i'm going to try hamiltons AP next. they have a supplier about five minutes away from me. they don't really do small sales. just to big drywall suppliers in the area but the guy said he would sell me some. $12 a box before tax. everything else around here is $18ish a box. i might just buy a pallet and mark up every box i use if i like the stuff. i don't think i'll be using proroc again. i'm still on my search for my favourite AP.
Hamilton is pretty good, but I prefer Beadex Light muds. USG makes Beadex, but it's not the same USG mud that you see at Home Depot.

There are ways around the complaints centered around using light muds, if you've got a good system you can avoid "layering/onion skin" that comes about when sanding. I love coating with Beadex light topping (and no, I do not have an affiliation with USG). Hamilton is probably the next best, at least in my book.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I just got a skid of proform taping mud...and a skid of there machine grade mud.the taping mud is awsome it runs through my taper no problem.no water added..I have found a new mud by by usg.:thumbup:

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just got a skid of proform taping mud...and a skid of there machine grade mud.the taping mud is awsome it runs through my taper no problem.no water added..I have found a new mud by by usg.:thumbup:
I tape with usg taping mud. Have you ever used this mud. If so, is there much of a difference between usg and proform. I ask this because the supplier I buy my mud from is having a difficult time getting the usg taping mud and is considering switching to proform taping mud.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I tape with usg taping mud. Have you ever used this mud. If so, is there much of a difference between usg and proform. I ask this because the supplier I buy my mud from is having a difficult time getting the usg taping mud and is considering switching to proform taping mud.
I have only used usg allpurpose.for everything and watered it down for taping...the proform taping just wip it up and go already the right consitsey.I had to order proform by the skid to get it from my supplier..well worth it

·
Registered
774 Posts
One thing i have noticed with proform is that blue steel knives just dont cut it. Stainless is the only way to go. Also when mixing if ya spin it to fast it will create air bubbles. I am hooked on my advanced tools mixer and my cordless drill (creamy). Also I always use bottled water from Stewarts, or poland springs. Distilled water would be best but that might be getting carried away. Water also makes a huge difference in dry time with your hot muds. Even in less then ideal conditions. Just make sure its luke warm.

·
Registered
791 Posts
We were using usg taping[grey top] until supplier stop getting anything but AP and Plus3--pro-form from another supplier works well but I like the usg better!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
36 Posts
We were using usg taping[grey top] until supplier stop getting anything but AP and Plus3--pro-form from another supplier works well but I like the usg better!!:thumbsup:
Used the proform taping mud(brown lid) today. It's ok. I think I like the usg taping(grey lid) better. Got to get use to using proform taping mud the supplier can't get the usg unless they order 7 skids at a time.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
bringing this one back to life. i bought some beadex all purpose when i was down in the states last week. it was mid weight at least. those little square boxes were HEAVY. i have never seen anything other than lite mud before. noticable differance. i decided to use it for my bed and finish coats. NEVER AGAIN!!!!! i have never had to sand so hard in my life:eek:. mid weight muds are another beast. thank god it was a garage because i got pissed off and stopped trying to sand out things i usually would. the one thing i would say is it makes an awesome taping mud. better than our lite taping muds. but it really was heavy. it is also what i tried to use in my bazooka for the first time. why not make a hard thing even more difficult right:thumbup:
our lite all purose is like a topping mud compared to that.

·
drywall slave
10,565 Posts
bringing this one back to life. i bought some beadex all purpose when i was down in the states last week. it was mid weight at least. those little square boxes were HEAVY. i have never seen anything other than lite mud before. noticable differance. i decided to use it for my bed and finish coats. NEVER AGAIN!!!!! i have never had to sand so hard in my life:eek:. mid weight muds are another beast. thank god it was a garage because i got pissed off and stopped trying to sand out things i usually would. the one thing i would say is it makes an awesome taping mud. better than our lite taping muds. but it really was heavy. it is also what i tried to use in my bazooka for the first time. why not make a hard thing even more difficult right:thumbup:
our lite all purose is like a topping mud compared to that.
:lol:Here carpenter I get pro form a/p,and USG a/p ,, DENSE ,, very hard to sand. :yes:. Pocs,,scratches , hard to sand.. I catch hell for my over kill ,but that's what it takes for me to not kill myself on sand day. Tapers here will not tape with the gray USG,,only the white,,, The gray USG has a poor bond ,and takes FOREVER to dry,,and gummy.

[email protected] ..... The limestone In the northern states white.
The limestone in the southern states gray.

A N/G rep told me this years ago. How true it is ,,not sure.:blink:
I do know the whiter the stronger,and drys much faster.

The gray Is great for stipple/tex ...covers,,and hides well.
This is just my opinion guys,,,Don't throw me under the bus.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts