Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
You don't know my work either, but you just implied that I must be sloppy since I don't wipe down behind flat boxes. I don't sand between coats either, I guess that would make me double sloppy.

jdl
I didn't imply you were sloppy. I'm telling you i'm not sloppy. I didn't judge your work because i have'nt seen it. If you re-read the message i'm basicaly saying there's more than one way to skin a cat. Do what works for you. Don't take it personal or look for a reason to.

·
Registered
222 Posts
never wipe behind my box coat, but finish my flats with one 10" box then spray on 20" coat with my apla-teck graco system with a tight wipe,end result is a perfect level 4 with little sanding

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks guys, for all the taping techniques and information.

Been in construction for nearly 25 years as carpenter, also been Sup. for a couple and took care of highrise punchlist. 80%-90% of punchlist work is Drywall finish related, granted some are caused by poor framing, especially on long corridors. Walls are finished, painted, lights go on, Architect / Contractor condemed work. Shadows every two to four feet, have meeting, blame, point finger at plumber for having waste lines out past studs. Refloat walls with 4' straight edge, 1 week per floor, repaint, have meeting to decide who will pay for work (since painter deemed to accept work prior to painting walls), drywall contractor normally eats it, or has back charged amount deducted from final payment and has to go to court to make case to at least try to get a portion of that back.

In the meantime...General's project manager instructing office to begin compiling statements, photographing and documenting evidence in the event of future litigation.

On a lower level..drywall foremans get chewed out, blame the workers, workers get bad reputation and even blackballed from future employement.

I started my own company two years ago as a General, residential work, and have been doing the hanging / taping with own crew to be able to control the quality. Last year, bought Northstar set, Graco Mark V, PC sander, have a Graco 750 but will buy a 1500 when next texture project comes.

Still learning the Bazooka, run boxes fairly well I think. Take it out on jobs even 12 sheets. Go back home and watch JDL's video on youtube and can see and understand the finer points on running taping / finishing set.

Will be marketing company this year for drywall and start to build crew, lot of good workers out there to choose from. To much competition in this economy against the larger homebuilders who have been around for a long time. Rather get a small piece of of a lot of work.

Anyway...JDL, just gotta love your dedication to your trade. I'm the same way, only different trade.

Aloha,

KLB:thumbsup:

·
All American Drywall,Inc.
31 Posts
just when everyone was cooling down from this thread, you bring it back up 9 months later, lol:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: the following is not directed to anyone in particular:thumbup:

i used to wipe down after boxing but, i havnt in years.
i used to box butts but, i havnt in years. ( i prefer to run em by hand)

things change, techniques change.

what i think is best now, may change next year (maybe next week)

so really there is no use in arguing about YOUR way vs. MY way
because my way is subject to change, pending a better idea. as i hope yours is as well.

ive been doing this for over 20 years,and im convinced theres nothing anybody can tell me about drywall mud to make me a BETTER finisher. but, im all ears for ideas
to make it easier.:)

Chris

·
The Drywall King!
702 Posts
Hawaii Builder,

Its true, the drywall contractor usually eats it, and has to take the blame. Its a misunderstood link in construction that no-one really knows who to blame and who to admit you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
WW1 is here. There is no right way boys. There is only what works best for you and the people that are paying you. I dont care what my subs do as long as it is flat and smooth in the end. My hourly guys on the other hand...it is my way...or there is the door.

When hiring anyone with expierence I listen to all of their ideas before shutting them down. I have learned a few things over the years keeping my ears open also. The minute you think your way is the only way it can be done right is when you are fooling yourself. Just my two cents.

Nate
Nate
I am a tradesmen for many yrs and agree with you 100%, I am learning new and faster ways sometimes
from younger guys. I have always contracted out my drywall and mudding and never needed to worry
about it, but I see more and more tapers doing shitting work. Now I am gonna learn it myself and just bought
a set of tools, hehe
I enjoy listening, reading and learning from all forums and vids, I do have 1 question
Why do I see guys run the finish coat 12 or 14 inch box and another run behind them with a skimming knife
Thanks
Darren

·
Registered
34 Posts
Nate
I am a tradesmen for many yrs and agree with you 100%, I am learning new and faster ways sometimes
from younger guys. I have always contracted out my drywall and mudding and never needed to worry
about it, but I see more and more tapers doing shitting work. Now I am gonna learn it myself and just bought
a set of tools, hehe
I enjoy listening, reading and learning from all forums and vids, I do have 1 question
Why do I see guys run the finish coat 12 or 14 inch box and another run behind them with a skimming knife
Thanks
Darren
I ran a blade behind my box on Friday , Saturday i was asked why i didn't run the box.😣, then i looked at the runs where i didnt blade after box, they looked much better.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Nate
a set of tools, hehe
Thanks
Darren
I ran a blade behind my box on Friday , Saturday i was asked why i didn't run the box.😣, then i looked at the runs where i didnt blade after box, they looked much better.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts