Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
My hourly guys on the other hand...it is my way...or there is the door
The minute you think your way is the only way it can be done right is when you are fooling yourself

Which one is it? I don't understand, everyone tapes different, if you can't tape the same way or as good as some one else there way's wrong. Why bash them? Why can't people you hire have ideas, they might be good ideas, that's just foolish. I guess I think a lot differently than most, but ideas sometimes translates in to saving time, money and a better job. Thanks

OK guy read the whole post. Geesh! I explained that i listen and implement good ideas. But at the end of the day I write the check and know what makes money and dosen't. Its diff. for everyone. so.....elkhuntr what ever you are doing have at it. If you have any problems I would be glad to give you my point of view. I personally dont get pushy with how I do things. If people ask I will tell them, and I dont make anyone feel stupid.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Man, I've been missing out again. I was over at Contractortalk and nobody talking over there, so thought I'd jump over here. Whew, got a good one going here. Can't think of anything to get everybody all torqued up about though. The Canadians and Floridians are going at it again. Us guys in the midwest do it best, I think. We don't get to see yours so we just keep on believing. We sand, though. And follow the box. Just because we are sloppy box runners.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Man, I've been missing out again. I was over at Contractortalk and nobody talking over there, so thought I'd jump over here. Whew, got a good one going here. Can't think of anything to get everybody all torqued up about though. The Canadians and Floridians are going at it again. Us guys in the midwest do it best, I think. We don't get to see yours so we just keep on believing. We sand, though. And follow the box. Just because we are sloppy box runners.
:thumbup::whistling2::thumbsup:Good stuff huh!

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Must be spring fever or more like cabin fever. I think everybody is ready for some warm weather. I know we have had thirty some inches of snow in Feb. I'm ready to go fishing. I can hear the walleye jumping out of the water somewhere...

·
Ultimate Wallboardsman
108 Posts
WW1 is here. There is no right way boys. There is only what works best for you and the people that are paying you. I dont care what my subs do as long as it is flat and smooth in the end. My hourly guys on the other hand...it is my way...or there is the door.

When hiring anyone with expierence I listen to all of their ideas before shutting them down. I have learned a few things over the years keeping my ears open also. The minute you think your way is the only way it can be done right is when you are fooling yourself. Just my two cents.

Nate
I always supposed that it was none of my business how a pieceworker went about his work, since proper results were all that really mattered, and some just seem to prefer going around their elbow to get to their a## anyway.

But, if anybody wasn't willing to produce the results required, they were dispatched in short order.

jdl

·
Ultimate Wallboardsman
108 Posts
Its not WW1. I just really have a hard time with the guys who think they are right and have to argue the point till there blue in the face. I have no doubt that 1wallboardman has alot of knowledge and is very experienced in this trade. What I have a problem with is the arrogance. I wipe behind my boxes for the same reason that butcherman stated. I spent years not wiping behind the boxes because I can finish without having too, but my experience now is that I have way less sanding and the job looks way better when I do wipe and that saves me lots of time. At the end of the day the job looks like the way it is supposed too, I have made money and the customer is happy.
Arrogance... that reminds me of my old buddy Art Derst, he called everyone by the same name... rotten MF. The first time I met him, he pulled a tab off of his bazooka and flung it across the room to land it perfectly on a hole where the hanger put his nosecone through the wall.

He had a policy too, if anyone came around with his check after 1:30 pm on Fri. Art was going to have his hands around their throat to motivate them to be on time next week. That was arrogant. I also thought it to be quite anti-social, but in later years I recalled that Art pretty much always had his check by 1:30 on Fri.

jdl

·
Registered
70 Posts
1 wallboardsman Things work differently. Again if it works for you it works for you, but i know about competition and quality. You don't earn your contractors trust by being sloppy. I don't compete or bid for jobs anymore and i'm pretty busy. I must be doing somthing right. I also go back and check my jobs when painted (with a light). When i speak to the painters they tell me if there are problems. Not many complaints. This works for me. I'm always open to new ideas. Your way just isn't working for me. Respectfully, thanks for the advice. But you don't know my work so don't go after quality on jobs that you haven't seen, that's weak.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Why don't we all agree on the fact that drywall licks horse ass and we'd rather stay home and touch ourselves all day and collect umemployment.:yes:

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I'd rather be a professional fisherman. Or at least have enough money that I didn't need to work then be just a plain old fisherman.

·
Ultimate Wallboardsman
108 Posts
1 wallboardsman Things work differently. Again if it works for you it works for you, but i know about competition and quality. You don't earn your contractors trust by being sloppy. I don't compete or bid for jobs anymore and i'm pretty busy. I must be doing somthing right. I also go back and check my jobs when painted (with a light). When i speak to the painters they tell me if there are problems. Not many complaints. This works for me. I'm always open to new ideas. Your way just isn't working for me. Respectfully, thanks for the advice. But you don't know my work so don't go after quality on jobs that you haven't seen, that's weak.
You don't know my work either, but you just implied that I must be sloppy since I don't wipe down behind flat boxes. I don't sand between coats either, I guess that would make me double sloppy.

jdl

·
Ultimate Wallboardsman
108 Posts
Why don't we all agree on the fact that drywall licks horse ass and we'd rather stay home and touch ourselves all day and collect umemployment.:yes:
A good point, nothing gives me more satisfaction then knowing that I won't have to suffer with some idiot that couldn't carry my tool bucket telling me how to finish his drywall today, while I can still make a living from my knowledge and experience.
jdl

21 - 40 of 50 Posts