Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For those that don't know, TomG from Tapepro sent me a 3" anglehead to try and then pass it on so other DWT members could try. I must say I was very surprised, when I first opened it I could see the main body was made out of plastic and it felt like half the weight of other heads and it gave me the impression of being cheap and presumably nasty.....Boy was I wrong, it works as good if not better than my Northstar angleheads, I used it with an anglebox for topcoating over a 2.5" Northstar head. First thing I noticed was the lighter weight made it feel like you had more control over it and just felt better, it gave a nice tight even coat with one pass, I used it straight out of the box without any adjustment needed. The plastic body appears to be the hard durable as steel type, the frame seems thin but is one piece non welded (laser cut I think), I like the inspection hole in the front which helps stop dried mud build up in a hard to clean spot. I give it 10 out of 10 because it does exactly what it is designed to do, thats a completely unbiased opinion because I didn't pay for it and I don't get to keep it so I don't feel obligated to give it a good review, if they cost more than other brands then that would be a mark against it but apparently they are quite a bit cheaper. http://youtu.be/nlE801e7Q8s

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
I hope this works out better than the old TapeWorm 2" angle head (in service for just a few years, late 80's-early 90's). This head had a plastic-ish main casting with stainless frames and was discontinued not long after. They wore out too quick.
IMHO, the killer of angle heads (besides dropping them) is the main casting/body. If the grove for the center clips is widened over time, the whole angle head is shot.

I may be mistaken. If you have pics you can show I'd love to see them.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope this works out better than the old TapeWorm 2" angle head (in service for just a few years, late 80's-early 90's). This head had a plastic-ish main casting with stainless frames and was discontinued not long after. They wore out too quick.
IMHO, the killer of angle heads (besides dropping them) is the main casting/body. If the grove for the center clips is widened over time, the whole angle head is shot.

Gidday Craig, I'm only guessing but maybe the plastics have come a long way since then, mudheads for example, I can't say I've heard of them wearing out but if someone with long term experience with that sort of thing could chime in?

·
Wannabe Woodworker
2,041 Posts
edges look a lil tall

·
Tapepro Drywall Tools
233 Posts
Cfp

Hi Craig,
We did quite extensive testing of the plastic body and found that it is extremely durable. It has much less friction than aluminium to steel. The main wear area I see in angle heads is between the clip and the frame. When this wears you can tighten it up a little by closing up the clip, but eventually you need new frames. Takes a long time to wear these out though so many years of good performance. The other thing that wears is usually the skids (if they are stainless steel). We have tungsten carbide skids on this one.
Also I don't think the skid is past the blade - it's just the camera angle. It should be only a few thou below the blade and the blade has a small chamfer on the bottom edge.

Cheers,
Tom.

·
Tapepro Drywall Tools
233 Posts
Cfp

Just a couple more things. The other problem we come across with angle heads is the top clip being spread due to a build up of compound behind the frame. This causes the point to open up and affects the setting.
With the CFP finisher, we have a cleaning hole to help in your usual wash up, but also the whole top piece can be removed so that you can thoroughly clean once in a while, without taking the clips and frames off and disturbing the setting. See the exploded diagram here:
http://www.tapepro.com/manuals/CFP-75_d.pdf

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
edges look a lil tall
It's a very deceptive photo, it's a lot tighter than it looks, in that pic you'll notice you can see the first coat underneath.
Something I noticed that was different is the skids are set with no rock on them, I set the Northstars with 0.020" at the back of the skid and the Tapepro is set at zero, I was thinking this aint gonna work but it did.

·
Drunken Bum!
2,224 Posts
Just to let you guys know the Tape Pro angle head is still in circulation. Cazna will be the next member to trial it.
I thought some1 had kept it!! Not heard much about it so it cant b bad or it would have made its way round the world by now:yes: But it must b good Tom as every1 seems 2 b keeping hold of it!!;)

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Well ive had this anglehead for a while now, Works been smaller plaster jobs, painting and house building so i was wanting a good chance on the mudrunner with this anglehead to see how it goes..............And im not disapointed at all............Its a really nice anglehead, Very light like kiwiman said and gives a nice smooth tight coat, Heres some pics with it on a runner and a corner run with a tapeworm 4 first then the Tapepro 3 to finsh..........Its as good if not better than any other anglehead ive used.........Goldblatt, tapeworm and dm.

Attachments

·
Registered
875 Posts
if they were available easily i would get one but i think i am just going to buy a columbia someday soon. there head office and factory is just an hour away from me so i like buying locally:thumbup:. when all is said and done it might just be a hassle trying to import something and i might lose the savings anyway.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Well ive had this anglehead for a while now, Works been smaller plaster jobs, painting and house building so i was wanting a good chance on the mudrunner with this anglehead to see how it goes..............And im not disapointed at all............Its a really nice anglehead, Very light like kiwiman said and gives a nice smooth tight coat, Heres some pics with it on a runner and a corner run with a tapeworm 4 first then the Tapepro 3 to finsh..........Its as good if not better than any other anglehead ive used.........Goldblatt, tapeworm and dm.
time to send it to the states now?? I would like a go at it if possible..

1 - 20 of 92 Posts