Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Stressed!!!
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i convinced my crew and contractor to go with papertape on all flats and buts. I have always used fibre becuase thats how i was shown when i started. After being a member of drywall talk and reading the lituriture i have seen the light.

My quetion is, what is the process of papertape. I have to use metal bead because thats what the contractor wants. I was going to fibre them and coat them with mud. My plan was to imbed the tape with a banjo and when it dries go over with a 12 inch box, then skim by hand. Would this be a good process or should it be done differently. Would love some feedback.

·
Wannabe Woodworker
2,041 Posts
Depending on seam ( flat or butt) a 12" box is oversized Imo.Most definitly too big for a 1rst coat. I would coat with smaller box after tape dried then use your 12" for a second coat. Stapel your cornerbead on and run it with an all purpose mud .

·
I-4detail
29 Posts
paper tape

definately go with a 10" to bed then 12" skimcoat
when i must use metal bead i staple first then use mesh tape both sides then bedcoat with bag mud then skim coat with lite weight have u tried paper faced metal bead that u mud on??? much stronger and better warranty

·
post whore
7,772 Posts
So i convinced my crew and contractor to go with papertape on all flats and buts. I have always used fibre becuase thats how i was shown when i started. After being a member of drywall talk and reading the lituriture i have seen the light.

My quetion is, what is the process of papertape. I have to use metal bead because thats what the contractor wants. I was going to fibre them and coat them with mud. My plan was to imbed the tape with a banjo and when it dries go over with a 12 inch box, then skim by hand. Would this be a good process or should it be done differently. Would love some feedback.
Your question has me confused:blink:

are you talking about the process to coat flats and butts, or metal bead with tape installed on them........... which is nuts:censored:

Plus there's 3 types of tape that are talked about on this site

Paper tape, fibre tape, then that other stuff where the 1st letter starts with a "M", ends with a "H", and has the letters "ES" in the middle:whistling2:

The fibre fuse (sp) gets good reviews on this site , when dealing with flats and butts at least. It's the other stuff that can start the battles.......... which one you talking about ???

·
drywall slave
10,565 Posts

are you talking about the process to coat flats and butts, or metal bead with tape installed on them........... which is nuts:censored:

Paper tape, fibre tape, then that other stuff where the 1st letter starts with a "M", ends with a "H", and has the letters "ES" in the middle:whistling2:

The fibre fuse (sp) gets good reviews on this site , when dealing with flats and butts at least. It's the other stuff that can start the battles.......... which one you talking about ???
I think he want's to know if he should tape his bead ...like darren does..:whistling2:

·
Registered
644 Posts
I think a good drywaller should use Mesh tape on all the metal cornerbead ,,that is before applying 10 minute quickset for first coat. And always mix a full 5 gal bucket of the 10 minute quickset. Never ever mix a panfull at a time, thats just way too slow.

·
post whore
7,772 Posts

·
Stressed!!!
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Fibre tape

I would paper tape my buts and joints. I would staple on my metal bead then fibre tape them and coat them with a/p mud. Would that work.

Also do u need 2 coats and then a skim coat on your flats and buts or after they are inbedded or just one coat then a skim coat?

·
Wannabe Woodworker
2,041 Posts
taping cornerbead is not needed. Tape, coat, coat,and touchup. Sometimes 3 coats is needed, that is your call to make

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
I know our metal bead is different, but I have never taped the edge of a bead in thirty years. And as far as I know I have not had one crack. It seems to me that as far as metal bead goes ours rule. And our hot mud is pretty good too.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
I know our metal bead is different, but I have never taped the edge of a bead in thirty years. And as far as I know I have not had one crack. It seems to me that as far as metal bead goes ours rule. And our hot mud is pretty good too.:thumbup:
I'll have to agree.
The only reasons I can think why their bead might edge crack is because of maybe more extreme climates than ours which might have more affect on timber movement, or different types of locally used timber in their areas.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
If you truly want an "un-crackable" bead,,,,,, lay brick for the interior walls.

Geeze man,,, this is drywall. If you run a forklift into a wall, or a tornado hits the house, or even a hurricane,,,, your drywall beads are gonna suffer!!!!!:yes:
Well said. :yes:

·
drywall slave
10,565 Posts
I'll have to agree.
The only reasons I can think why their bead might edge crack is because of maybe more extreme climates than ours which might have more affect on timber movement, or different types of locally used timber in their areas.
The only times Iv'e seen a shiny 90 edge crack is when they were crimped on without any fasteners..:D

·
post whore
7,772 Posts
P.A, I am sad to know this...
But I believe that is the Bogart Co.
View attachment 4212
They are from Helsinki.
They had 5 cd releases in the 80's
http://www.heavyharmonies.com/cgi-bin/band.cgi?BandNum=2285
And yes....totally gay! :laughing:
I'm not sure if I would admit to knowing that PT, Plus PA rocker said forget it, Since they looked sorta gay.

But don't worry PT, I'm sure this is a "we won't ask, you don't tell" type of site:whistling2:

So no girl friend eh' ???? :D

1 - 20 of 78 Posts