Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
To A+Texture. Penandscale's number's are pretty good even for out west here. I am in Cali. Sacramento. We're about the same. Tying the wires is very important but not that hard I don't really like revealing alot of trade secrets but I think alot of people know how we tie our wires using a crank handle. Just give yourself about 8" of extra wire put it through the main runner bring it over the main and past itself bend it up like a crank handle crank the main down to the laser light or magnetic torpedo level hanging on cross tee and give it three good tight raps w/in 1". That's code. And those numbers are very good and accurate if I were licensed to work in Arizona I would come down there and hang it for you for that price + expenses.

·
Michigander at heart
462 Posts
Hey Rebel 20, wow that's quite a contraption. So what is the cost on that thing anyway. And btw is it even legal in the U.S. cause I've never seen one.
Because you can't buy them there. They are here in Europe and they have a special profile channel. and yes it is legal probably just to expensive to ship for around 7000 sq/ft you are looking at 13,000 for the whole construction with the panels complete

·
Registered
1 Posts
get some help

I'm all about learning but 4000 sq ft is way to much for a trial run and please unless you throw up 3000 sq ft a day like I do don't give ceiling advice and if you cant talk inteligently about lasers leave them out of it

·
Registered
3 Posts
if you need a laser to do quality work, then you have already lost!!! millions of square footage of ceilings were installed long before the laser existed.. nothing is better than a mechanic that has a trained eye. green installers have become dependent on the laser and their finished product is, at times, less than stellar.
That's a garbage answer. With the technology we have today no ceiling should be built without a laser. Also if you don't know anything about ceilings or tying wires then you also have no business building ceilings. Either leave it alone or hire a professional to do it for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
for larger areas, 2000 sq. ft. or more, the laser is a valuable tool... but a mechanic should have the ability to run, at least, 1000 sq'. flawlessly without one... blind faith with a laser can give poor results, just as blind faith in a level that has been dropped many times. before laser technology, we were relied on plumb bobs and water levels. archaic tools, no doubt, but the results were universally correct. plumb bobs and water levels don't lie. very little human error... i have seen many laser applications that were unacceptable...
Most laser applications that are "unacceptable" are do to poor training and lack of care in there quality of work. If you know what your doing and you regularly check your laser to make sure their calibration is good and are using the correct laser for the right job then there's really no issues. We don't live in the plumb Bob and water level ages anymore and we will probably never be there again so let's not pretend that way is quicker or more efficient. Lasers a quicker and easier to use and work wonders if you know how to use them correctly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i always use a plum bob. They are excellent. WATER LEVELS SUCK !!! they are inconsistent and tempermental. My lasers are 150% dead on. AND FAST. i could do it the old fashion way, but why bother? it's silly. In the end, if a guy is a SHI* Carpenter, all the lasers and water levels in the world won't help !
Couldn't have said it better myself!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts