Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a rough idead the labor time it takes to hang this stuff. Job is 9', and 10' to rafters. I know it will vary depending on crew just looking for a ballpark idea. And if you want to be real helpful send me a PM, I'd also like a ballpark price per sq ft. If not no worries a labor idea will get me close enough. I know this will also vary but I'd like to do this whole job and need to include a price for the drop ceiling as well. Thanks guys.

·
The Drywall King!
702 Posts
Acoustical Ceilings

Yes I can walk on stilts, this would be my first suspended ceiling, no I don't have the laser, yet. A little over 4000'.

The hardest thing for me doing them is tieing the wires at the level for the grid. Make sure you have stilts. Charge about 1-1.25 sq ft. This includes labor for grid and tile installation. Not sure how much labor you can do it in, but most jobs, a real acoustical installer can do it by himself with a baker or stilts.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is that to say you should never think of expanding what your buisness does? Or should I go work for another company after owning my own buisness for 8 years just to learn how to do it. It's not rocket science dude. If you don't venture into the unknown sometimes you will never learn anything new.

·
Registered
21 Posts
1.25 sqft for labor will work. add.15 sqft for 2x2 grid. unless it is a small job under 2000 sqft add another .30sqft
9' to rafters could be a problem if duct above. tight space may need additional wires.
smaller laser will work fine unless its a large space over 70'

·
Registered
57 Posts
if you need a laser to do quality work, then you have already lost!!! millions of square footage of ceilings were installed long before the laser existed.. nothing is better than a mechanic that has a trained eye. green installers have become dependent on the laser and their finished product is, at times, less than stellar.

·
Registered
148 Posts
if you need a laser to do quality work, then you have already lost!!! millions of square footage of ceilings were installed long before the laser existed.. nothing is better than a mechanic that has a trained eye. green installers have become dependent on the laser and their finished product is, at times, less than stellar.
I agree, I learned ceilings prior to a laser. I believe in this application it would be helpful.

·
Registered
334 Posts
That's ridiculous. should we frame houses with a handsaw ??? next time you go see your doctor, and he wants to use the x-ray machine, tell him NO. Tell him millions of people were diagnosed with a 'trained eye' !!:blink:

·
Registered
57 Posts
for larger areas, 2000 sq. ft. or more, the laser is a valuable tool... but a mechanic should have the ability to run, at least, 1000 sq'. flawlessly without one... blind faith with a laser can give poor results, just as blind faith in a level that has been dropped many times. before laser technology, we were relied on plumb bobs and water levels. archaic tools, no doubt, but the results were universally correct. plumb bobs and water levels don't lie. very little human error... i have seen many laser applications that were unacceptable...

·
Registered
334 Posts
i always use a plum bob. They are excellent. WATER LEVELS SUCK !!! they are inconsistent and tempermental. My lasers are 150% dead on. AND FAST. i could do it the old fashion way, but why bother? it's silly. In the end, if a guy is a SHI* Carpenter, all the lasers and water levels in the world won't help !

·
Registered
57 Posts
d-rock, your opinion and mine are the same.. that's why my original post on this subject stated that one should not bid a job he is not qualified to perform.

·
Michigander at heart
462 Posts
The hardest thing for me doing them is tieing the wires at the level for the grid. Make sure you have stilts. Charge about 1-1.25 sq ft. This includes labor for grid and tile installation. Not sure how much labor you can do it in, but most jobs, a real acoustical installer can do it by himself with a baker or stilts.
Who ties wire these days

·
Registered
334 Posts
there's a trick to tie the wire using *****. mark the ***** and twist to the laser line. we use drop clips around here, with black iron

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Rebel 20, wow that's quite a contraption. So what is the cost on that thing anyway. And btw is it even legal in the U.S. cause I've never seen one.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts