Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Average Member
3,145 Posts
Heres a trick for metal beads. Ever run across a house where the framers did not rip a stud at 45 to fill in the gap of an outside offset corner??

Use hand drive 16's, sounds crazy, but a 16 will travel to the opposing side and catch that sud, kinda like criss-crossing.
I staple those b!tches on, glass (oh no! I mentioned mesh tape!) and hot mud 'em. I'm with you on the crushing the 90's for 135 if I need too. It seems like I end up with more fill though.

Oh, and I think you'd find 2-7/8 drywall nails better for driving those on...the head is much bigger, and the shaft is narrower (although still much bigger than standard drywall nails)

·
drywall slave
10,565 Posts
No, I really don't have to "skimp" that much.

However, if they WANT cheap,,, why should I EAT the differance in price???

I would rather take that cpl hundred bucks and spend it on my family than give it up to a cheap arse, just to prove a point that I no longer need to prove.

Your right, it is my buggy, and thats the way I drive it !!!!:thumbsup:
if you want cheap @ gaudy . go to the tittie bar.

·
drywall slave
10,565 Posts
I staple those b!tches on, glass (oh no! I mentioned mesh tape!) and hot mud 'em. I'm with you on the crushing the 90's for 135 if I need too. It seems like I end up with more fill though.

Oh, and I think you'd find 2-7/8 drywall nails better for driving those on...the head is much bigger, and the shaft is narrower (although still much bigger than standard drywall nails)
it works . i have to do it . framers don't care or don't know. which is it?? got to have meat to fasten to.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you check out the "Mid Flex" or "Wide Flex" they also have a paper face. The difference is that the No-Coat's paper is saturated with latex and therefore sits on top of the mud and the perforations are absolutely just shy of worthless. The StraitFlex "Flex" products ARE cheaper and with only the front of the paper treated the backside can absorb mud and glue for a true bond. The diamond perfs on the edge are also WAY superior. A quick glance will tell you that alone. If you have never tried the "Flex" products and are comparing 325 to "Origianl" you are seriously missingn the boat. Honestly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I agree. Whenever I see houses that have moved, there's always some straightflex in them that has pulled off the wall. Because there's no paper face for the mud to bond to on the straightflex, it pulls out of the joints a lot easier. It makes my job a lot easier patching (I dig out the old tape before patching), but doesn't instill any confidence for adhesion down the road. I didn't tape the houses originally, but the GC that built them supplies separate taping and topping compound, so they were likely taped with the right stuff. zoom-a-flex might be an option if a person needed mething thinner than No-Coat. I've seen that in a few houses that moved, and it stood up good.

If you are comparing StraitFlex Original to 325 you are missing out on honestly one of the best and cheapest products on the market for any kind of off angle. The "Flex" line by StraitFlex is superior in many ways. No-Coat's paper is saturated with latex and therefore is not able to accept the mud and glue as well as it should. Also check out the perfs on the edge of the paper. What a joke. The Mid Flex and Wide Flex's paper face is treated seperately from the backside of the paper edges which has nothing except for the most perfect diamond perforations you have ever seen. This allows fir the mud and glue to absorb into the pores of the paper and creates a true bond. I have run into problems of my own with the "Original" but the "Flex" line is second to none.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wow ,up until now I just brushed off most of your comments, but now I,ll let my opinion of you out here------ You are not the greatest taper of alltime[only in your head] ,not sure how many years you,ve got in this biz, but as not running a business and all that goes with it,your opinions mean nothing to me!!!!!!! The day your in the old goat category I hope 50 less talented young a-holes give you ****[you,ll deserve it]. My opinion of No-Coat vs the rest---No-Coat is far superior no matter the cost,just as paperfaced metal--I use both. My cost is made up in time and quality, My guess is you are world wide cause you dont last long in one place with you attitude. Answer us this--- Why dont you own your own business if your so good?

You should look into "Thin-Coat" by StraitFlex. If you love No-Coat and paper-metal you would love this. It is the best of both worlds.

·
post whore
7,772 Posts
If you are comparing StraitFlex Original to 325 you are missing out on honestly one of the best and cheapest products on the market for any kind of off angle. The "Flex" line by StraitFlex is superior in many ways. No-Coat's paper is saturated with latex and therefore is not able to accept the mud and glue as well as it should. Also check out the perfs on the edge of the paper. What a joke. The Mid Flex and Wide Flex's paper face is treated seperately from the backside of the paper edges which has nothing except for the most perfect diamond perforations you have ever seen. This allows fir the mud and glue to absorb into the pores of the paper and creates a true bond. I have run into problems of my own with the "Original" but the "Flex" line is second to none.
try this thread here http://www.drywalltalk.com/f2/coating-no-coat-2167/
were way a head of you

the thin stuff your talking of seems pricey, home depot wants over a hundred bucks for it :eek:

·
Registered
102 Posts
If you check out the "Mid Flex" or "Wide Flex" they also have a paper face. The difference is that the No-Coat's paper is saturated with latex and therefore sits on top of the mud and the perforations are absolutely just shy of worthless. The StraitFlex "Flex" products ARE cheaper and with only the front of the paper treated the backside can absorb mud and glue for a true bond. The diamond perfs on the edge are also WAY superior. A quick glance will tell you that alone. If you have never tried the "Flex" products and are comparing 325 to "Origianl" you are seriously missingn the boat. Honestly.
So let me get this straight, you're saying original straight flex is a better product than 325 no coat?

·
Registered
774 Posts
I am a big fan of original strait flex but not for off angles. Great for creating strait lines on 90s if the rock is off a bit. No coat is the best out there. They should call it 3 coat but if feathered right gives a perfect line. That and doesnt crack as often as strait flex of any type.

·
Registered
General Construction, Tile, Drywall, Light Framing, Painting, Trim, Laminate, VCT, and LVP Flooring,
7 Posts
I'm a sub-contractor, i never supply material. I show up, do the job, and get out. Since it got slow out here, i put the other 3 tapers out of work and they had to move on. I'm the only one left because of my attitude and work ethic. On the job I just smile and nod at everyone even if they are a moron. Here, I can tell the morons what i think of them and their crappy advice.

Capt. is good for nothing other than old fashioned one liners. eg: horse & buggy, why walk when you can crawl, and his latest, banging head against wall. for a guy that has an obscene amount of posts, he really says nothing at all. :yes:

straight flex or no coat, both do the job. and neither is going to hold a shifting/settling house together.
I know this post is old, but I absolutely agree. Respect is everything when it comes to being successful.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts