Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
oh i'm most certainly not the greatest. there are a lot of area's i could improve in. and i don't own my own business because i hate dealing with customers, worrying about getting paid, pricing jobs that i might not get, getting material and having the phone ring every 2 seconds. i just want to work and get the job done, get paid every 2 weeks based on how much i get done.

why walk when you can bang your head against a horse and buggy.
Fair enough--you gave an honest answer,I give you credit when due!!

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
oh i'm most certainly not the greatest. there are a lot of area's i could improve in. and i don't own my own business because i hate dealing with customers, worrying about getting paid, pricing jobs that i might not get, getting material and having the phone ring every 2 seconds. i just want to work and get the job done, get paid every 2 weeks based on how much i get done.

why walk when you can bang your head against a horse and buggy.

Actually that is a fair enough comment, Self employment can and does have the headaches you point out McDusty, 13 years for me so i can understand why you feel that way, Its the waiting and hoping to get paid before 20th month that gets me, Always seem to but it can get close for sure, You seem to be on the super taper and flushers which do work, Ok not as well as some other expensive gear, But you keep your tool cost to a minimum and dont carry around a heap of gear, There is some smarts in that, Its not really for me as im a tool whore and like to mix things up a bit but I can understand why you work this way, KISS keep it simple stupied is great advice.

And as for No coat Vs straightflex, No Coats my fav.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Okay MCdusty,,, you don't like my one liners,,

here ya go then,,,

Straight-flex is NOT a paper product,, it does not adhere to drywall mud, even if you use the glue they make to add to the mud. Nor does it adhere with hot-mud (its plastic based). Even if you cover the edges with ap and tape, it will STILL turn loose of the drywall.

Level-line and the new and improved straight-flex has paper on it. The paper will react with the ap and bond to the board.

If this is not enough LINES for ya, just let me know, and I will elaberate abit more,,,,, okay????:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
No-Coat in the sticks is the best! Nine and ten feet. Fold them backwards and they are the absolute best for flat angles! I don't care the cost! Straght Flex doesn't hold a candle to them. And neither does the No-Coat in the box.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
No-Coat in the sticks is the best! Nine and ten feet. Fold them backwards and they are the absolute best for flat angles! I don't care the cost! Straght Flex doesn't hold a candle to them. And neither does the No-Coat in the box.
I agree with that Tim.:thumbsup:

rutt row,,, another one-liner.:whistling2:

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
When I bid a job, I ask enough questions to know what kind of job they want and find out what they want to pay for it. If they want the best products, I bid it that way. If they want the cheapest price I bid it that way. If they are willing to pay a cpl more bucks per bead, they get paperfaced metal for 90's and no-coat beads(beads are stiff objects that come in certain lenghts) for offsets(in and out).If they want the cheapest price, they get metal beads and level-line(comes in a box, is not a stiff object like a bead).Since we voted for change, and they pulled the plug on the economy, I have not used paper-faced or no-coat, at all, just metal beads and level-line. BTW, for offset angles (outside) I lay a metal bead on the floor and bang it with a full bottle of water. They will spread out fine that way, just have to check a time or two till ya reach the desired "spread". A great way to use up any left over straight flex that is laying around. Under the stairwell or in bonus room closets that have that really sharp angle, so sharp that you keep cutting the tape trying to run it. Straight flex will stay put in there and your knife will not cut through it(its not paper,, shhhhhhsssss, don't tell anyone tho).

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Heres a trick for metal beads. Ever run across a house where the framers did not rip a stud at 45 to fill in the gap of an outside offset corner??

Use hand drive 16's, sounds crazy, but a 16 will travel to the opposing side and catch that sud, kinda like criss-crossing.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Feeling fortunate, I price all the same and they get No-
Coat whether they want it or not. No matter if it is a house with ten beads or one with fifty. :wacko:
I understand and I used to feel that way too. However I got over it. After I realized that most people really don't care, they just want the best price, I decided to give it to em,,, kinda my answer to the illeagal alien problem. Hey Americans can screw your job up just as good as Mexicans can. Not that I think using "lesser" quailty goods is a good idea, but hey, I sell a service, and IF you want crap, I can deliver it !!!!!!!!!

Glad to hear that you are hanging in the high-end. When I have that opportunity, I do also. However, when I don't, I will deliver the crap to those that ASK for it to be delivered.

Works for me anyway, I stay busy.:D

Reactions: gordie

·
Registered
86 Posts
When I bid a job, I ask enough questions to know what kind of job they want and find out what they want to pay for it. If they want the best products, I bid it that way. If they want the cheapest price I bid it that way. If they are willing to pay a cpl more bucks per bead, they get paperfaced metal for 90's and no-coat beads(beads are stiff objects that come in certain lenghts) for offsets(in and out).If they want the cheapest price, they get metal beads and level-line(comes in a box, is not a stiff object like a bead).Since we voted for change, and they pulled the plug on the economy, I have not used paper-faced or no-coat, at all, just metal beads and level-line. BTW, for offset angles (outside) I lay a metal bead on the floor and bang it with a full bottle of water. They will spread out fine that way, just have to check a time or two till ya reach the desired "spread". A great way to use up any left over straight flex that is laying around. Under the stairwell or in bonus room closets that have that really sharp angle, so sharp that you keep cutting the tape trying to run it. Straight flex will stay put in there and your knife will not cut through it(its not paper,, shhhhhhsssss, don't tell anyone tho).
How much do you really save on a house by skimping on bead????? Compromising quality and speed for what? Maybe a one or two hundred bucks???
Please:bangin:

Its your buggy. Drive it the way you want:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I am fortunate I don't have to bid that tight. But somtimes that two hundred bucks is the difference in getting the job. This week I lost a 70,400.00 job to a guy an hour and a half away that bid 70,000.00. :2guns:

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
How much do you really save on a house by skimping on bead????? Compromising quality and speed for what? Maybe a one or two hundred bucks???
Please:bangin:

Its your buggy. Drive it the way you want:thumbsup:
No, I really don't have to "skimp" that much.

However, if they WANT cheap,,, why should I EAT the differance in price???

I would rather take that cpl hundred bucks and spend it on my family than give it up to a cheap arse, just to prove a point that I no longer need to prove.

Your right, it is my buggy, and thats the way I drive it !!!!:thumbsup:

21 - 40 of 53 Posts