Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone use Mid-Flex3 or Wide-Flex4 made by Strait-Flex? I see the cost is a lot less but would like to know if it works as well as No-Coat Ultra-Flex 325 or 450.

·
Registered
308 Posts
the plastic of the 'no-coat' is to thick. i do not like the stuff, the name alone is misleading, 'no-coat' pfffft. it's easier to make a straight line because it's so stiff. it's also harder to cut.

i like flex 4. it does the same job as the 'no-coat' but at almost half the price and it's easier to work with in my opinion.

i hate straight flex original.

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
The problem with straight flex products are they are harder to work with they have a tendency to pucker away from the wall. You think you have it all wiped down against the wall only to come back after it drys to find out it has pulled away in spots. So what if the No coat is a little thicker, it works way better and so much superior. If you have a problem cutting it buy a new pair of snips:blink:... the No Coat will go on much straighter and because it has a paper face over the vinyl strips it will bond much better.

·
Registered
224 Posts
The problem with straight flex products are they are harder to work with they have a tendency to pucker away from the wall. You think you have it all wiped down against the wall only to come back after it drys to find out it has pulled away in spots. So what if the No coat is a little thicker, it works way better and so much superior. If you have a problem cutting it buy a new pair of snips:blink:... the No Coat will go on much straighter and because it has a paper face over the vinyl strips it will bond much better.
I agree. Whenever I see houses that have moved, there's always some straightflex in them that has pulled off the wall. Because there's no paper face for the mud to bond to on the straightflex, it pulls out of the joints a lot easier. It makes my job a lot easier patching (I dig out the old tape before patching), but doesn't instill any confidence for adhesion down the road. I didn't tape the houses originally, but the GC that built them supplies separate taping and topping compound, so they were likely taped with the right stuff. zoom-a-flex might be an option if a person needed something thinner than No-Coat. I've seen that in a few houses that moved, and it stood up good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Silver,
the tape I am talking about has a paper face as well. This stuff looks just like No-Coat but is made by Strait-Flex. In my area No-Coat is like 60.00 a roll and Strait-Flex is like 45.00 a roll. If this stuff works as well at 25% less money I want to try it. I do know what you mean about some of the stuff with out paper though, it is hard to fold and tuff to work with if you are new at it.

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
Then I haven't seen that yet at least out of the box, No coat I can still buy for a little less than 45 per roll still expensive when compared to paper faced bead, but sometimes you just have to use it.

·
post whore
7,772 Posts
Silver,
the tape I am talking about has a paper face as well. This stuff looks just like No-Coat but is made by Strait-Flex. In my area No-Coat is like 60.00 a roll and Strait-Flex is like 45.00 a roll. If this stuff works as well at 25% less money I want to try it. I do know what you mean about some of the stuff with out paper though, it is hard to fold and tuff to work with if you are new at it.
are you talking the one with the black measure lines on the face.if so it's ok.takes a lot less mud to coat it,it's best used on inside 45's only.The other ,no coat (pure white,blue line on face) takes more mud to finish,better for repairing bad 45's (gaps,crooked)better for outside 45's if need be.and it has one foot measure increments on the back side for cutting.we get both supplied to us,I would give the no coat just a bit more of a edge.but not by much

·
Registered
134 Posts
It's Aight. The paper flange on it doesn't lay down very well but otherwise its good. Doesn't work as well as no coat in outside offsets or 90s though cuz the edge is more rounded. Don't forget no coats little brother, level line, its cheap.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Straight-flex new paper faced is their answer to level-line. works the same. It really is a nearly 100% copy of level-line. Since straight-flex could not figure out how to bond their product to the wall, they either had to change or dissaper.

·
Mud Manipulator
311 Posts
Again McDusty I disagree with you. I way prefer No-coat over straight flex as from what everyone has already stated. No need to repeat the obvious to the professional. As for no coat prices I get it for $36 Canadian per box. $ 99 per box McDusty -sounds like your attitude gets you no respect at your suppliers too ;)

·
Registered
134 Posts
it wasn't the straight flex, it was you.
reg straight flex black or green almost never holds on exterior offsets when the house settles. i use to use it all the time, plus did service work for awhile and the stuff just doesn't hold.

i use it like so: apply usg green mud right out of the box, fold straight flex, unfold to remove the extreme flex and lay it in.. wipe out edge while leaving mud behind it... it always cracked so i've said to hell with the stuff.. using hot mud never works either..

no coat just makes a better all around product, but you pay for it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
reg straight flex black or green almost never holds on exterior offsets when the house settles. i use to use it all the time, plus did service work for awhile and the stuff just doesn't hold.

i use it like so: apply usg green mud right out of the box, fold straight flex, unfold to remove the extreme flex and lay it in.. wipe out edge while leaving mud behind it... it always cracked so i've said to hell with the stuff.. using hot mud never works either..

no coat just makes a better all around product, but you pay for it.
if it always cracked then it was a problem with application.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Again McDusty I disagree with you. I way prefer No-coat over straight flex as from what everyone has already stated. No need to repeat the obvious to the professional. As for no coat prices I get it for $36 Canadian per box. $ 99 per box McDusty -sounds like your attitude gets you no respect at your suppliers too ;)

I'm a sub-contractor, i never supply material. I show up, do the job, and get out. Since it got slow out here, i put the other 3 tapers out of work and they had to move on. I'm the only one left because of my attitude and work ethic. On the job I just smile and nod at everyone even if they are a moron. Here, I can tell the morons what i think of them and their crappy advice.

Capt. is good for nothing other than old fashioned one liners. eg: horse & buggy, why walk when you can crawl, and his latest, banging head against wall. for a guy that has an obscene amount of posts, he really says nothing at all. :yes:

straight flex or no coat, both do the job. and neither is going to hold a shifting/settling house together.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Wow ,up until now I just brushed off most of your comments, but now I,ll let my opinion of you out here------ You are not the greatest taper of alltime[only in your head] ,not sure how many years you,ve got in this biz, but as not running a business and all that goes with it,your opinions mean nothing to me!!!!!!! The day your in the old goat category I hope 50 less talented young a-holes give you ****[you,ll deserve it]. My opinion of No-Coat vs the rest---No-Coat is far superior no matter the cost,just as paperfaced metal--I use both. My cost is made up in time and quality, My guess is you are world wide cause you dont last long in one place with you attitude. Answer us this--- Why dont you own your own business if your so good?

·
Registered
308 Posts
oh i'm most certainly not the greatest. there are a lot of area's i could improve in. and i don't own my own business because i hate dealing with customers, worrying about getting paid, pricing jobs that i might not get, getting material and having the phone ring every 2 seconds. i just want to work and get the job done, get paid every 2 weeks based on how much i get done.

why walk when you can bang your head against a horse and buggy.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts