Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I been a finisher for nearly 30 years. Mostly commercial. I was a union foreman for the largest construction co. in Pittsburgh, Pa. Hospitals, office buildings, schools, malls, etc etc etc.

I dont feel like discussing why, but I recently moved to a new city and had to look for work. I finally found a company willing to hire me as just a finisher. Mostly companies here want you to frame, insulate, hang, finish, paint, clean, stock. I am making a fraction of what I was.

Today is my 2nd day. They are crazy here. Finishing a 3 story building off ladders. No freakin bakers at all. Even hanging totally off ladders. Try to finish a 40 ft long butt joint (that shouldn't of been there in the first place), 12 ft in the air off a damm ladder. A 12 ft ladder at that. That is one example of what I am going through.

Now. I was in my own room since I started, doing my thing. But I noticed the other finishers were busting their joints WAY out. I finally asked the so called foreman what gives. He told me this is what they do. They take a 4-5ft straight edge and place it against the wall. Anyplace there is a gap, and there are PLENTY, must be filled.

I went nuts. I said I am not a damm wall leveler, Im a drywall finisher. My job is not to fill in every damm place there are twisted studs or uneven walls. 2 guys spend 3 freakin weeks doing a bathroom. Believe that?

My foreman told me there is noone on your ass, just do it. Asked me if I ever done commercial before. I said "a hell of allot more than you". He called this a level 5 finish. I called him bull****. Level 5 is a thin coat over the entire wall to give it all the same consistency. Thus eliminating the natural texture a sheet of board has. This guy had no idea what I was talking about.

Can someone please tell me if you ever had someone take a damm 4 ft straight edge on the walls, and expect you to fill in the gaps? Not talking 1-2 walls here guys, 3 freakin story building!

·
FASTER THAN A MARE
2,024 Posts
not sure your what your complaint is, that is the right way.....

A good taper adjusts to any taping system given by a company

·
Registered
457 Posts
Are you being paid hourly? If yes, go with the flow....you did say you needed a job.

Don't like the idea of working off of a ladder throughout though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have decided to shut my mouth and do it their way. At least until I find something better.
But I dont have to like it. Frame the damm walls correctly in the first place. I just wanted to vent a little and see if you guys think as I do, that this is a colossal waste of time and money.

That is why I was asking about the bead in my other post. I might suggest paper faced bead to them. It would be allot less to fill in.

·
Registered
774 Posts
level 5 is not just skimming the walls. Its means everything has to be flat with no imperfections. try and look at the USG drywall handbook for different levels of finish. The better the framing and sheetrocking makes it easier. :thumbsup:

Reactions: chris

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Thats Bullsh!t, You put a level over our walls here and :eek:

Even if the framings perfect its still :eek:

Becouse the board is shouldered to hell :eek:

Fill and level all that, No way, No way would people pay for that, No way would i do that, Even if you do, Mud keeps curing for months after so go ahead, Make a perfect wall and fill all that go back after a few months and check again.:eek:

Thats one of the stupiest things i have ever heard, Waste of time, labour and money.:eek:

And level five is a skim over the surface to make it all the same so the seams dont flash, Thats it.

·
Rock'n Hawk
1,523 Posts
I did something similar once on three 12' sheets stood up side by side about 20' off the ground. But it is being used as a film screen.

·
Registered
774 Posts
To obtain a level 5 finish a skim coat is required. If your seams are crowned and butts are not flat then this is not a level 5 finish according to industry standards. hell i have seen people usr 8 foot metal studs to fill inn recesses and or high spots. Doesnt matter how bad the framing is but untill its flat and perfect its not a level 5 finish. Period. :yes:
Level 5​
The highest quality finish is the most effective method to provide
a uniform surface and minimize the possibility of joint photographing
and of fasteners showing through the final decoration. This level of
finish is required where gloss, semi-gloss or enamel is specified, when
flat joints are specified over an untextured surface or where critical
lighting conditions occur. The prepared surface shall be coated with a
drywall primer prior to the application of final decoration.
All joints and interior angles shall have tape embedded in joint compound
and be immediately wiped with a joint knife or trowel, leaving a
thin coating of joint compound over all joints and interior angles. Two
separate coats of joint compound shall be applied over all flat joints
and one separate coat of joint compound applied over interior angles.
Fastener heads and accessories shall be covered with three separate
coats of joint compound.
A thin skim coat of joint compound shall be trowel applied to the entire
surface. Excess compound is immediately troweled off, leaving a film
or skim coating of compound completely covering the paper. As an
alternative to a skim coat, a material manufactured especially for this
purpose may be applied such as
Sheetrock Tuff-Hide primer surfacer.
The surface must be smooth and free of tool marks and ridges. The
prepared surface shall be covered with a drywall primer prior to the
application of the final decoration.

chapter5.indd 164

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
To obtain a level 5 finish a skim coat is required. If your seams are crowned and butts are not flat then this is not a level 5 finish according to industry standards. hell i have seen people usr 8 foot metal studs to fill inn recesses and or high spots. Doesnt matter how bad the framing is but untill its flat and perfect its not a level 5 finish. Period. :yes:

Level 5
The highest quality finish is the most effective method to provide

a uniform surface and minimize the possibility of joint photographing
and of fasteners showing through the final decoration. This level of
finish is required where gloss, semi-gloss or enamel is specified, when
flat joints are specified over an untextured surface or where critical
lighting conditions occur. The prepared surface shall be coated with a
drywall primer prior to the application of final decoration.
All joints and interior angles shall have tape embedded in joint compound
and be immediately wiped with a joint knife or trowel, leaving a
thin coating of joint compound over all joints and interior angles. Two
separate coats of joint compound shall be applied over all flat joints
and one separate coat of joint compound applied over interior angles.
Fastener heads and accessories shall be covered with three separate
coats of joint compound.
A thin skim coat of joint compound shall be trowel applied to the entire
surface. Excess compound is immediately troweled off, leaving a film
or skim coating of compound completely covering the paper. As an
alternative to a skim coat, a material manufactured especially for this
purpose may be applied such as

Sheetrock Tuff-Hide primer surfacer.

The surface must be smooth and free of tool marks and ridges. The
prepared surface shall be covered with a drywall primer prior to the
application of the final decoration.

chapter5.indd 164

Someone highlight were it says the walls must be made flat and level, Did i read it wrong?? Doesnt it say coat the seams then coat the entire surface........Even use a sprayed on high build paint/plaster to do achive a high grade level 5..........That wont fill, it just evens the surface to help stop flashing.​

Exactly as above........Thats level 5.............Not filling walls with levels just making the surface the same product.​

·
Registered
774 Posts
Anyways before bidding any commercial jobs its best to read the usg hand book for drywall finishes. Its late and i am out for the nite but please read the requirements for all levels of drywall finishes. crowned seams and butts that show are discussed in the lower levels of finishes.

·
post whore
7,772 Posts
Someone highlight were it says the walls must be made flat and level, Did i read it wrong?? Doesnt it say coat the seams then coat the entire surface........Even use a sprayed on high build paint/plaster to do achive a high grade level 5..........That wont fill, it just evens the surface to help stop flashing.​

Exactly as above........Thats level 5.............Not filling walls with levels just making the surface the same product.​
I'm not going to high lite it for you:whistling2:

If I did that, I would be agreeing with a Kiwi:blink::(:eek:

·
Mudder Lover
1,974 Posts
I feel your pain Sue - been there.

Sometime back doing big condo project where the first framing contractor was thrown off site and second framing contractor had to fix the mistakes. Sometimes they can fix the walls before it is boarded sometimes they found it easier for us to level it with the mud. On those long hallways we were using hat track as a levelling screed. Just billed accordingly.

Dont think I like the working off ladders situation though. Maybe they don't know about scaffolding and bakers?

·
Average Member
3,145 Posts
level 5 is not just skimming the walls. Its means everything has to be flat with no imperfections. try and look at the USG drywall handbook for different levels of finish. The better the framing and sheetrocking makes it easier. :thumbsup:
I read/heard somewhere that for a L5, it's a requirement that the walls have no variation greater than 3/16th....that's law. Sure, you can finish anything you like, but according to the law you can call bullsh*t on anything waving more than 3/16".

As for the OP........if they're paying you hourly, just do what they want. Take...................your...................time, and do a real.....................nice........................job. ;)

I'll float walls with a 12ft. ladder as a straight edge if they want to pay me a decent wage. Hell, I'll float them with a toothpick :laughing:

·
drywall slave
10,565 Posts
Wheres this hand book set of rules when these guys are making wallboard??? :blink:

1 - 20 of 63 Posts