Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure this questions is really for the tools category, but here goes.
I use a notebook to write down job name, address, sheet count and other information about the job. Do any of you use your smart phones to do that? iPhone, Samsung, Android. Or any suggestions? The paper notebook has worked for me forever, but....

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kinda wondered about that. We are a dirty trade for fancy phones. Mud on our fingers might not go so great on the screen of a phone. Thanks for weighing in!

·
Registered
416 Posts
I have a smart phone & enjoy it a bunch. :thumbup: They are a great tool, but like every other tool, they aren't fantastic for everything! I still use pen & paper to measure up, jot down job names, & various other things. It's great to keep my schedule on my smart phone. Really easy to change when scheduling changes (a regular occurence in construction) come along! :eek:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I still write things down on paper. I do like my B15 CAT smartphone, touch it with muddy fingers and wash it under tap end of day.:thumbup:

·
Registered
339 Posts
I use LeanKit on my iPhone and Mac. I can't even begin to explain how awesome it is but I'll try...
You create virtual cards for each job and drag and drop them across a board broken down into columns for your different processes
Here's how mine looks on my phone...
Text Blue Product Turquoise Line

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Tim, I don't know how old you are, but I prefer a PC for most things I do. Mostly, I'm on a 10" netbook, and I do my EFI tuning on a PC in my office. For me, I use my phone to call, text, and check Email, but if the Email needs to be addressed I use a bigger machine. The real benefit for me with a Smart phone is being an internet hot spot wherever I go. While away from home I can be traveling in a vehicle and be on my netbook with a secure connection.
Maybe the bigger phones are better, because I'm still on an I phone 4. However, this is what works for me. On the job, I would use my Netbook for viewing drawings while doing layout, and the calculator in Windows for trig calcs. I guess it's like comparing a Banjo to a Bazooka? Why use a Banjo when a Bazooka is far more productive.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Tim,
I with Mr. Willys here. I would much rather be at my computer than trying to do my office work on my phone. I, too, use Quickbooks, but find I much rather be at my office computer (with printer nearby) to do the office work. I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 that is not waterproof, however many of the newest phones are. When I upgrade, I will go with a waterproof one.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was thinking first needing the phone, second, I thought it would be nice to have the sheet count in it. Not thinking doing book work with the phone. I prefer my laptop that I can plug into the printer and generate an invoice an mail that humor as soon as possible!

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
I have the Galaxy S5 and after a full day the battery is still over 60%, so yes no problem.
As for using the phone for scheduling and so forth, it's not for me. I run a hand written diary, my sheet count and estimates I work out on the laptop.
But then I send all of the data including, purchase orders, plans, take off, and orders to my tablet. The tab is with me wherever I go so all of the information is at hand.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts