Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Just wondering what the average sq. ft. price for skim coating plaster walls smooth. Minnesota area.
How many hours you think the job will take you
times
How much you'd like to make an hour
divided by
Total square ft
Squ/ft price = $!?

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
Just wondering what the average sq. ft. price for skim coating plaster walls smooth. Minnesota area.
When you take the cost of removal of plaster the mess and the disposal of it what do you would think it would cost the contractor? Plenty I will tell you that. No one likes to deal with the removal because of such a mess not to mention if it even had asbestos in it or not, then the cost would more than quad-triple. Most think that we as drywallers can just skim over rough plaster and make it look like a brand new wall or ceiling. It does never happen that way. I have skimmed and repaired over so many plastered walls I lost count years ago, but as far as pricing no less than $3.00 per sq. ft. If you find yourself in this line of work there is so many variables that can cause nothing but headaches of all sorts. If you would hire a plaster by trade if you can find one without going through a contractor rest assured the price will be far more than $3.00 per ft. Charge what you want I always make sure that my wages are gonna be higher than normal for myself.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Charge what you want I always make sure that my wages are gonna be higher than normal for myself.
Oh hell ya! Skimming full walls is allot of work!
Definitely make it worth your while.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not removing the plaster, just skim coating it to smooth walls, I feel between 50 cents to a buck should be right. I just wanted to see what you guys are doing. I do feel a buck a sq ft sound right but I am tired of being broke and having everyone telling me I am not charging enough.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
I am not removing the plaster, just skim coating it to smooth walls, I feel between 50 cent and a buck should be right. I just wanted to see what you guys are doing. I do feel a buck a sq ft sound right but I am tired of being broke and having everyone telling me I am not charging enough.
Screw that noise!!
Compare it to new construction.
Look at it this way.
A 8 x 8 Wall, 2 sheets of drywall = 64squ/ft
How much trowel work do you have to do on that one wall?
1 seem! 1 flat right down the middle.

Now, look at your plaster wall.....
Say on average everyone's finished joints on new drywall are aprox 12" wide....
Now look at your plaster wall again. Instead of having one 12" seem down the middle. You have 8 times the amount of work! 8ft wall!
See what im saying?....
Your time....Worth more than 1$ a squ/ft. I'll tell you that much.

Jobs like that, I don't even bill by the foot.
I look at it. I figure this will take me x amount of hours....I need this much money. Sucks to be the contractor if I happen to need a new golf club set that week. Take your square ft price and throw it out the window. Charge a lump sum. Tell the contractor there's not enough footage for it to be worth your while to charge by the foot. Just say it will cost this much. :yes:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
trouble is that I am the contractor, I have always done my own drywall. I want to sub it out but the times I have I was not happy with the results. When I do a remodel with new walls I do three finish coats, prime and then detail. I know it sounds crazy, but I like the detailed finished. I have got allot of work from just that. I have tried at least ten different companies in the area and there was only one guy that was as detailed, sadly he has retired. Now don't get me wrong, for the most part the subs were great, but for a good portion of my clients, well, they want perfection I guess you could say. I just can't stand looking at someones wall and seeing air pockets or sand marks. The guy that retired was a old school taper and instilled in me to do it right. Sad thing is in todays market it is always just a job. I totally understand that. But I have even told subs that I will pay more per square foot or hourly to take that extra step. I hope you guys understand what I am saying and not trying to bash anyone. I just find it is very hard to find that detailed workmanship. The last guy I subbed out came with tape that he put in water and put it on the wall, and he was highly recommended. Well it all bubbled and I had to fix it. I knew I should have sent him home.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
trouble is that I am the contractor, I have always done my own drywall. I want to sub it out but the times I have I was not happy with the results. When I do a remodel with new walls I do three finish coats, prime and then detail. I know it sounds crazy, but I like the detailed finished. I have got allot of work from just that. I have tried at least ten different companies in the area and there was only one guy that was as detailed, sadly he has retired. Now don't get me wrong, for the most part the subs were great, but for a good portion of my clients, well, they want perfection I guess you could say. I just can't stand looking at someones wall and seeing air pockets or sand marks. The guy that retired was a old school taper and instilled in me to do it right. Sad thing is in todays market it is always just a job. I totally understand that. But I have even told subs that I will pay more per square foot or hourly to take that extra step. I hope you guys understand what I am saying and not trying to bash anyone. I just find it is very hard to find that detailed workmanship. The last guy I subbed out came with tape that he put in water and put it on the wall, and he was highly recommended. Well it all bubbled and I had to fix it. I knew I should have sent him home.
Hahaha! ya.....wet taping? :no:
Should have trusted your gut on that one.
Just do this everywhere! Don't have to be picky about perfect detail and smooth walls everywhere :laughing:

·
drywall slave
10,565 Posts
Ya hear that boys ...The old school taper did it right!!!
:yes:

Theres a good finisher in your area Vhc,,You just have to find him..

·
Average Member
3,145 Posts
I'll be odd man out here, but a $1/ft. is fine money, if all you're doing is skimming the walls. Hit em once, sand or scrape, tight skim again, light sand, touch-up, rock and roll. If it's gotta go smooth, add $.50/ft.

If a guy charges $.30/ft for a hand texture, he should be able to come out fine on a skim-out.

Now................if anything needs to be repaired, totally different ball of marshmallow.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
I'll be odd man out here, but a $1/ft. is fine money, if all you're doing is skimming the walls. Hit em once, sand or scrape, tight skim again, light sand, touch-up, rock and roll. If it's gotta go smooth, add $.50/ft.

If a guy charges $.30/ft for a hand texture, he should be able to come out fine on a skim-out.

Now................if anything needs to be repaired, totally different ball of marshmallow.
I love Marshmallows!!! :D

·
Wannabe Woodworker
2,041 Posts

Agreed. If you cant make money skimmin at a buck a foot:blink:.... Id better not finish that line:D

Reactions: SlimPickins

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
That is another problem you are a general contractor, knowing full well what the cost in renovations should cost. Trust me when I tell you this I have worked years ago in the twin cities and I can just about tell what kind of a contractor you are. Looking for the lowest price available and by doing this hiring drywall finishers that probably couldn't let alone finish over new sheetrock let alone skimming out over old plaster, hire someone with experience and pay them what they are worth, don't use Drywall Talk as a price list for your own basis if you are doing the work yourself. I think I am going to ask some mechanics how much they charge to install a new alternator so I can use his price to charge the neighbor just a little less just so I can make a buck, might not be a perfect job done but hey, I got-r-done.....:furious:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well silverstilt I will tell you this for a fact.... I have never gone with the lowest bid, The last sub I paid $20/sheet which is 2.40/sq ft. All my jobs have posted the use of Goldbond or better sheeting, no Big box store rock allowed. Cheap rock = cheap look. I did work with a guy from the Grand Rapids area and he was really good, but hard to justify getting him down here for small jobs. All contractors are not the same. I do all my own work except electrical, plumbing and heating. Don't judge every contractor as being the same. I have done work for other contractors that do as you say, lowest everything and you can surly see it when the job is done.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I thought that drywall talk was for asking each other questions? I wanted to see what a price fellow finishers were using. I don't think that I am trying to screw anyone out of work, a big portion of my job is drywall, for my jobs and others. I think you were a bit out of line silverstilts.

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
I thought that drywall talk was for asking each other questions? I wanted to see what a price fellow finishers were using. I don't think that I am trying to screw anyone out of work, a big portion of my job is drywall, for my jobs and others. I think you were a bit out of line silverstilts.
Yes, It is a forum for fellow drywall finishers and contractors Drywall Contractors that is, still not sure on how sincere you really are and why post such a question on pricing, but that is my opinion....As far as thinking that i am out of line ,think what you want I don't need or have to ask for your permission on my opinions..

·
Registered
22 Posts
i'm with silver on this one. vhconstruction really comes off as an amateur.... weekend warrior... DIYer throughout this thread ini my opinion. I personally feel $2 per ft is generally a good ballpark price to start

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.