Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner

should Moore hire a helper

Should Moore hire a helper

8K views 39 replies 15 participants last post by  Mudshark 
#1 ·
This posts for you Dr Moore

You need a labourer, your work load is too heavy

yes I know you hear some of us b1tch and complain on here about them, but they do save /earn you money down the road. The 1st few houses you will curse about hiring one, but down the road you will be happy you did.

With me personally, I could could go without one since I work for a DWC. I just got to show up at a house, do my thing:whistling2:, and get on the phone to ask where the next one is. But they are pushy though, The house you just posted, they would expect in 7 days, so hence a labourer, for this old fart who is about to turn 50 in a few months:furious:

But you Dr Moore, are doing it all. your playing drywall contractor, drywall sub-contractor, book keeper, and father plus husband. Just think if you had someone to spot nails, set things up, do general task, well you went to measure another job or something.

So were going to do a pole, on weather you should hire a labourer.

And others may chip in on the pro's and cons also

for my one point, the one con is, "you could be training your future competition" but..... if you hire the right person, which is important, since you will spend more of your working day with this person, than your own wife,,,, you could have yourself a new partner,,,,, business partner that is:whistling2:..... who does not half to be equal in pay,,,,, best to do a percentage split, once they become dependable:yes:

See less See more
Reactions: moore
#3 ·
I think I will let Moore make that decision.

yes we all make our own decisions in the end, but this is the whole point of this site. to get feed back from other members, the pro's and cons as I stated.

Then in the end, Moore can weigh the pro's and con's himself.

it's called being helpful Mudshark:yes:

But what's a Canucks fan know:jester:

#6 ·
your a hoot man! I'm no stranger to training finishers .. I saw one become a middle school teacher...another a painter ..cabinet maker.etc.... It takes a special breed to stick with this trade..Worked with a 4 man finish crew for years ..Don't wanna go back to that. I'm doing my own thing now..The way I want to do it! I'd rather sub out ,and go behind..than hire an hourly ,,and become a babysitter .

#11 ·
A helper is a helper & only that.
A helper is there to load & unload the truck or van,Set up scaffold,carry your tools & buckets of mud in..A helper is there to make your life easier plain & simple:D It is endless as to what a helper can do for you in this trade>>>we all know that it doesn't take rocket science to do what we do every day.. If you don't realize how much help a helper really is>>>>>>well than, maybe you are just to thick headed.:whistling2:

Cons>>>>>>>there are none

#17 ·
A helper is a helper & only that.
A helper is there to load & unload the truck or van,Set up scaffold,carry your tools & buckets of mud in..A helper is there to make your life easier plain & simple:D It is endless as to what a helper can do for you in this trade>>>we all know that it doesn't take rocket science to do what we do every day.. If you don't realize how much help a helper really is>>>>>>well than, maybe you are just to thick headed.:whistling2:

Cons>>>>>>>there are none
You still use mesh ....and your calling me thick headed!!:lol::lol::laughing:

#14 · (Edited)
the best helper kid weve had was home schooled and didnt own a cell phone (at first) And one thing we all need to remember is we were all helpers at one time

Reactions: moore
#21 ·
:thumbsup:

When I have to team up, and it's with someone who pretty much knows what they're doing, it still pretty much seems like I'm working alone - I'm doing my thing, somewhere, and they're doing theirs, usually somewhere else.

I said to the field supervisor the other week, why are we even bothering trying to train people up, if we're just going to lay them off when things get slow - even laying off the ones who show promise - and they go on to other companies. Hire someone(s) who already know something(s), pay them more than a newbie, and more money should be made, with less aggravation. At least that would be the case for us.

#28 ·
So how is the old Jnr doing, Didnt you say hes gone on his own now?? Like fully contracting and working by himself or just changed crews. Or was your fallout as big as mine was when i hired a friend and worked together for nearly 4 years till it blew up, we hardly spoke again for a long time after that :(, I just worked on my own for years after that, I really didnt like paying wages and taxes and tools and holidays for someone else, He earned more than me. Now i have an on call helper i can call on if it gets a bit much and the job suits, That still can have its stresses though, Your not paying your bitches wages are you?????? That makes a huge difference.

#30 ·
Well......

Guess he called me about 3 weeks ago. Said DWC set him up with some drunk, and in typical 2bjr fashion, he whined about it to the DWC. I went right away, big mistake, he would look at that as sticking his neck out for you (favour). And he was like yeah, The DWC let him go. He said the DWC said he left me too soon, no transportation and tools, and that he wasn't his mommy. Last I heard, just a rumor, that he was back where I last found him, home less, and back at the men's mission (sally ann). But not sure ???? Never know with that kid, problem with him, is he don't know how far he has to go, to hit rock bottom.

But as I said before, DWC should of kept his nose out of things, keeps trying to bug me to bring him back. I'm a stubborn old fart now, to me, he made his bed, so now he can lye in it. If I brought him back, within 3 months, he will forget his past, and start thinking he was the boss again. This time, I would be aiding my future competition. For he would be using me as a stepping stone to get a head. Not being mean, but she's a dog eat world out there, just being realistic. Kept telling him to set himself to get out on his own,,,, but ????????

And to last part of your post

I'm a pure sub now, DWC looks after comp and stuff. You just half to put checks in their name (b1tches), to be covered. at the beginning with a new guy, I'm right up front, your pay will be cr@p at 1st. Then you will be on PW at a %. The kid with me now, is my sons brother inlaw, who rents his basement. He is 31, done with the rat race. Just wants money for his rent, video games, and unfortunately, his pot:furious: (none drinker though). SO..... he's the type that will be content to always be the under study, which can be a good thing in this trade,,,, your not training your future competition thing again:thumbup:

#31 · (Edited)
Sorry to hear that, I know the type, I have people like that around me, (Not saying much on here) You give and give, They take and take, Then when you stop or they crap on you and you dont give then your the biggest:censored: around and its all your fault, Or its the poor me mentallity. Drugs do that, Even just a little bit of weed, I have a cousin, Tryed weed etc and at the age of 17 had to be placed in a mental hospital, Hes 42 now, Cant work, Treats his parents like crap, Even though they gave him everything. I realise it wasnt all weed but it didnt help. I grew up watching some nasty stuff around me, My folks always said dont touch weed or thats what you will be, It kills motivation, I have a younger brother, Yeah weeds great all fun, Tryed to tell him..........Anyway, you get the idea. I realise its fine for somepeople and they get along just fine with it, But have that stuff around me and i feel very uncomfortable, Ive seen some crazy, crazy, scray sh!t. :(:(:(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.