should Moore hire a helper

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
post whore
7,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This posts for you Dr Moore

You need a labourer, your work load is too heavy

yes I know you hear some of us b1tch and complain on here about them, but they do save /earn you money down the road. The 1st few houses you will curse about hiring one, but down the road you will be happy you did.

With me personally, I could could go without one since I work for a DWC. I just got to show up at a house, do my thing:whistling2:, and get on the phone to ask where the next one is. But they are pushy though, The house you just posted, they would expect in 7 days, so hence a labourer, for this old fart who is about to turn 50 in a few months:furious:

But you Dr Moore, are doing it all. your playing drywall contractor, drywall sub-contractor, book keeper, and father plus husband. Just think if you had someone to spot nails, set things up, do general task, well you went to measure another job or something.

So were going to do a pole, on weather you should hire a labourer.

And others may chip in on the pro's and cons also

for my one point, the one con is, "you could be training your future competition" but..... if you hire the right person, which is important, since you will spend more of your working day with this person, than your own wife,,,, you could have yourself a new partner,,,,, business partner that is:whistling2:..... who does not half to be equal in pay,,,,, best to do a percentage split, once they become dependable:yes:

Reactions: moore

·
post whore
7,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I will let Moore make that decision.

yes we all make our own decisions in the end, but this is the whole point of this site. to get feed back from other members, the pro's and cons as I stated.

Then in the end, Moore can weigh the pro's and con's himself.

it's called being helpful Mudshark:yes:

But what's a Canucks fan know:jester:

·
Registered
348 Posts
There may be new insurance requirements. There will certainly be labor law, payroll, tax, and budgeting questions to address, as well as scheduling and quality control complications.

I would never make a percentage partner of anyone, especially a noob.

·
drywall slave
10,565 Posts
your a hoot man! I'm no stranger to training finishers .. I saw one become a middle school teacher...another a painter ..cabinet maker.etc.... It takes a special breed to stick with this trade..Worked with a 4 man finish crew for years ..Don't wanna go back to that. I'm doing my own thing now..The way I want to do it! I'd rather sub out ,and go behind..than hire an hourly ,,and become a babysitter .

·
post whore
7,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
your a hoot man! I'm no stranger to training finishers .. I saw one become a middle school teacher...another a painter ..cabinet maker.etc.... It takes a special breed to stick with this trade..Worked with a 4 man finish crew for years ..Don't wanna go back to that. I'm doing my own thing now..The way I want to do it! I'd rather sub out ,and go behind..than hire an hourly ,,and become a babysitter .
Well, looks like this thread met a early death ,,, eh':(:whistling2:

·
Registered
313 Posts
A helper is a helper & only that.
A helper is there to load & unload the truck or van,Set up scaffold,carry your tools & buckets of mud in..A helper is there to make your life easier plain & simple:D It is endless as to what a helper can do for you in this trade>>>we all know that it doesn't take rocket science to do what we do every day.. If you don't realize how much help a helper really is>>>>>>well than, maybe you are just to thick headed.:whistling2:

Cons>>>>>>>there are none

·
Wannabe Woodworker
2,041 Posts
GOOD help is hard to find:yes: but if a guy can ever find one hang on, they can be very valuable

·
Does It Work!?
3,292 Posts
Since I'm on a bit of a personality/personality profiling kick this morning on another thread, I'll say that if I was looking for a certain kind of help for my current situation, I'd maybe look especially for an ISTJ personality type: http://typelogic.com/istj.html

·
Wannabe Woodworker
2,041 Posts
the best helper kid weve had was home schooled and didnt own a cell phone (at first) And one thing we all need to remember is we were all helpers at one time

·
Drunken Bum!
2,224 Posts
the best helper kid weve had was home schooled and didnt own a cell phone (at first) And one thing we all need to remember is we were all helpers at one time
U got it spot on there Chris:thumbup: Home schooled is not the best for any1 but the 1's with brains think they know it all and the 1's that have more comin sence than brains make the best workers:thumbsup: And they r not scared of a bit o hard graft!!!;)

·
drywall slave
10,565 Posts
A helper is a helper & only that.
A helper is there to load & unload the truck or van,Set up scaffold,carry your tools & buckets of mud in..A helper is there to make your life easier plain & simple:D It is endless as to what a helper can do for you in this trade>>>we all know that it doesn't take rocket science to do what we do every day.. If you don't realize how much help a helper really is>>>>>>well than, maybe you are just to thick headed.:whistling2:

Cons>>>>>>>there are none
You still use mesh ....and your calling me thick headed!!:lol::lol::laughing:

·
drywall slave
10,565 Posts
Yea Moore get a little spotty faced pain in the ass that u want 2 kill every 5 mins of the day!!:thumbup: At least if ur havin a bad day u can shout at the little fukcer:whistling2:
Where am i gonna put the fuc%er?:blink:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
If you don't absolutely have to hire someone, don't. I woulden't. Many jobs I get are too large for one guy to keep the contractors schedule, so I MUST team up. I perfer working alone. (no offense meant to fr8train, he's fun to work with):D

1 - 20 of 40 Posts