Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<P>I just gave a customer a bid for scrapping off the popcorn texture thats there and making them smooth. Whats the best way to plastic off. its in the kitchen so lots of cabnets and other lovly items. And whats the cleanest way to scrap off the ceiling.</P>
<P> </P>
<P>Thanks</P>

·
Registered
39 Posts
2 layers on floor, then curtain walls. Soak the popcorn ceiling and scrape. Remove dirty layer and good to go :thumbsup:
I soak it with a spray bottle depending how many times its been painted. If it's been painted too much I dont bother... I have often held up the shop vac hose (with extra hose extension) while scraping too. Dust control of sorts...lol

·
Registered
920 Posts
we use a hudson-type 1 or 2 gallon garden spray, screw that squirt bottle. May take a second soaking to come off easy. That is, if it's never been painted over. If it has been painted over, you are gonna rue not checking beforehand.

Be sure to use a quality stain killer like Pro-Block oil or the like. Just say no to Kilz brand in any formulation, latex or oil. Failure to do so will reslut in that nasty yellow stain showing up a few weeks or days after cashing the check.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I was going to say that also Darren.:thumbup:
Or I was going to say I learned this a long time ago.
Before I started my business I actually worked for a guy and learned hands on how to do this stuff.:yes:
Imagine if I had the internet back then I could have learned to put plastic up so much quicker.:whistling2:

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
<P>I just gave a customer a bid for scrapping off the popcorn texture thats there and making them smooth. Whats the best way to plastic off. its in the kitchen so lots of cabnets and other lovly items. And whats the cleanest way to scrap off the ceiling.</P>
<P> </P>
<P>Thanks</P>
If you're going for a smooth finish, you might have too remud all of the joints at least one more time. :yes:
Simply because, popcorn hides a multitude of sins. And the finishers knew that at the time the place was built.
Here's how we do it.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
920 Posts
Last minute warning: Do be proactive if you are dealing with a room with wallpaper. You are almost certainly going to ruin it when you pull down your plastic(especially if you left it up to prime/paint). Figure on putting up a new border. Be sure your HOs know this in advance! Make a profit from every contingency.

·
Wandering and wondering
721 Posts
I irrevocably confess you reminded me of this with the sweet vid of yours :thumbsup: :D

I don't miss my scrape days LOL, if I want to sweat that much, I'll go spin with the wife...

Last home I purchased some fugger actually sprayed the walls popcorn too :furious: Easy fix, and made some good cash on the flip though.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I hope you get the job. Bring an extra pair of shoes as it does get a little messy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts