Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a serious question not a smart ar$e one.
Roto zips and the like have only over here for about a year, I have zero experience with them and have always used a knife & saw. What are the advantages? Bearing in mind our board is only 3/8".

·
post whore
7,772 Posts
This is a serious question not a smart ar$e one.
Roto zips and the like have only over here for about a year, I have zero experience with them and have always used a knife & saw. What are the advantages? Bearing in mind our board is only 3/8".
Your sh1ttin us right:eek:

Can you cut out a electrical box in 5 seconds, or a door way or window with the 1/4" bit in 10 seconds. No rocker would board without one. When a tapers radio breaks down, work stops till he gets a new one. Same with the router when it comes to the rockers:thumbsup:

Let the thread fill:yes:

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I am not having you on.
Over here electricians cut out there own power points, we punch a hole for them, most dont even do that. They are not alowed to cut them out until we have sanded. As you know those holes are a pain in the but when you are boxing & machine sanding.
Any sparky that turns up before we are finished is KINDLY asked to leave.

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Over here electricians cut out there own power points, we punch a hole for them, most dont even do that. They are not alowed to cut them out until we have sanded. As you know those holes are a pain in the but when you are boxing & machine sanding.
Well frickin lucky you :censored:

No Rotowhatthehells here, All by hand, BEFORE i show up, With wires hanging from the walls, ceilings, and downlight holes cut.

Makes the beads and ceiling tapes fun........not

Dont you dare tell me they leave the doors off for you as well :furious::censored:

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doors. What doors? No door jambs or arcs either. And if the fixout material turns up when we are on site. THEY ARE POLIGHTLY ASKED TO LEAVE AND IF NEEDED GIVEN DIRECTIONS WHERE THEY CAN PUT IT.

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Doors. What doors? No door jambs or arcs either. And if the fixout material turns up when we are on site. THEY ARE POLIGHTLY ASKED TO LEAVE AND IF NEEDED GIVEN DIRECTIONS WHERE THEY CAN PUT IT.
Arhhhh F, IT :censored:, Jambs on Doors on Arcs on, Trippin over trims etc, Kitchens showing up, Tiliers want to start, Sheds a storage area, Thats just how it is........pox, If i ask for it any other way its WTF, WHY, What are you on, Your not the only one trying to make a living, Who do you think you are kinda attuide, The better you adjust to everyone the better everyone gets along, The more co operatave you are the more your liked so the more work you get and welcome you are, My last job the tilers started and the garage doors got fitted half way through, I complained and got told to just work around it.....its just how it is :( 2buck would love it :yes:

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Arhhhh F, IT :censored:, Jambs on Doors on Arcs on, Trippin over trims etc, Kitchens showing up, Tiliers want to start, Sheds a storage area, Thats just how it is........pox, If i ask for it any other way its WTF, WHY, What are you on, Your not the only one trying to make a living, Who do you think you are kinda attuide, The better you adjust to everyone the better everyone gets along, The more co operatave you are the more your liked so the more work you get and welcome you are, My last job the tilers started and the garage doors got fitted half way through, I complained and got told to just work around it.....its just how it is :( 2buck would love it :yes:
Hey Cazna.
Why not what most Kiwis do come to Australia. Come on we will make a killing.

·
Master Plasterer
193 Posts
rotozips are a way of life in north america, i have two cordless rouders a small bit and a large bit we call them the small one and the big one.. small one for cutting sheets (in certain situations) and electrical boxs. the big one cuts doors, windows and can trim the end of beads when drywall hangs over just that little bit. I worked with a guy in OZ and showed him how to cut out windows perfect and to fit everytime with him just throwing sheets on the wall... when you have a rouder even a iddiott can mesure one number and cut it then throw it on a wall then all you gotta do its put two screws in to hold the sheet rouder and you have a perfect window cut everytime... the only thing with using a rouder is that you must only rotate the rouder in one direction to avoid over burns in your cut... very good tool that aussies dont use... also when making a hole for a wire in the Gyprock manual it says that a hammer hole is not a addiquate tool to make a hole so i use a circle cutter and eather a hole saw or a "small" rouder to cut out a perfect circle everytime...

·
Master Plasterer
193 Posts
a lot more quicker yes a little more dust but when your cutter guy mesures one number thats it and continuesly throws them on the wall less mind fatigue from all the numbers.. and you never get a wrong cut, and your cut is allways a clean cut, not saying the best boarders (fixers) cant cut a window fast it's just a smoother process that allways cuts to the framing...

·
Wannabe Woodworker
2,041 Posts
:blink:that is awesome,do u know how much time we would save with no cutouts...im jealous

·
Wannabe Woodworker
2,041 Posts
most time saved would be on elec. boxes,can lightswindows,and especially arches. Doors could all be backcut as well as long boards going past frmg.Very useful once you get the hang of it:thumbsup:

·
Mudder Lover
1,974 Posts
Is it that much quicker?
Is it harder to cut straight?
What about the dust?
All serious questions I have never used one.
I think you could do well marketing these tools in Australia. They are simply a LOT faster. Dust? well yes that is a problem but with practice you can learn to stay "downwind". They take a bit of practice at first as they are fast and it can wander where you dont want it cut. Again practice makes perfect. When mastered they make a "perfect" cut.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I haven't seen a hole saw used for a long time in the states. I think the only people using those are the hammer and nail guys:whistling2::lol::lol: all our guys love them, but as mentioned before they can wander until you master them.:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Hey Cazna.
Why not what most Kiwis do come to Australia. Come on we will make a killing.
I Know, Your austrailian conditions are world class, Im a thru and thru Kiwi and i love my country and were i live, Ive still got quite good and i like a bit of varitey, I do drywall, painting, spray painting, wallpaper etc to make up my work, I think i would get bored just doing one thing, Your town looks very much like NZ, All your rivers are mud though, ours are mostly clear same as our lakes.

I dont hang the board so i dont need a roto, and they would be no good when the house is revels, Groove in the side of the door frame for the board to slot into, Dumbest idea in the world :yes: Only takes a fews hrs one man to cut out a house of flushboxes but every house has a couple to fix thats overcut.

·
drywall slave
10,565 Posts
Is it that much quicker?
Is it harder to cut straight?
What about the dust?
All serious questions I have never used one.
Never cared for em at first,, fuzzy boxes ,ravels around windows and doors
THE DUST:yes:,,But then I helped the hangers that used them on a few houses
It's fast. half the time than pre cut. Every hanger [in this nation] uses them.
I never used one,,sub out the hanging. what little hanging i do ,,I do old school.

On sand day . I take large sanding pad,, and clean up the boxes ,,gets the fuzz off ,,I take a razor knife ,and lightly trim the ravel from around windows /doors. A good router man will keep a fresh bit handy . A bad router man will F:censored: UP your world . cut wires/missed boxes/never use one to cut around a shower tub :blink:duh,,,

As far as the dust,, Hell.. the d/c makes more mess than any sub on the site . hanging/muddin/sanding/texture,, whats a little more gonna hurt.

I TRY to keep mud off the floor ,and always clean up EVERYTHING the day I'm done. I will say the router dust is 80 percent of that clean up.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 199 Posts