Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, we had to make a ceiling patch, about a quarter sheet and part of this included cutting out one can light. We figured out we could make a seam with a half hole on eiter side and slide it between the kind of collar do hickey on the can---but we can't access the top of the sheetrock, luckily we mad a missed half moon cut right by the correct location and I can barely get my hand in there, do I need some gorrilla glue or some foam or caulk etc to kinda glue in the loose canlight. I would hate for the homeowner to screw this up by pulling too hard etc. What do you advise?:(

·
Average Member
3,145 Posts
I guess I don't understand why the can-light isn't attached to the framing or a brace between framing members?

I don't know that I'd want to use foam up against something that gets hot. I also don't know that I wouldn't just pull the rock down and make sure the can was installed properly. I also don't understand why you would have to slide rock under the "doo-hickey" when you can just remove the flange?

Am I missing something here?

·
post whore
7,772 Posts
I guess I don't understand why the can-light isn't attached to the framing or a brace between framing members?

I don't know that I'd want to use foam up against something that gets hot. I also don't know that I wouldn't just pull the rock down and make sure the can was installed properly. I also don't understand why you would have to slide rock under the "doo-hickey" when you can just remove the flange?

Am I missing something here?
your a good man slim, your always willing to help the DIY on this site.

I'm going to sit back, roast up a few Marsh mellows, and see how this goes

·
Average Member
3,145 Posts
Your either going to have to attach the existing can light to a framing member. Or switch the existing can light out for a remodel can light that has butterfly clips that hold it to the drywall. :thumbsup:
They could either do that, or friction fit the drywall in place using tissues and a piece of bubble gum and squirting some toothpaste in the gaps and running some masking tape over it.

"Ready for paint, eh Bubba?" :laughing:

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
They could either do that, or friction fit the drywall in place using tissues and a piece of bubble gum and squirting some toothpaste in the gaps and running some masking tape over it.

"Ready for paint, eh Bubba?" :laughing:
What???....... and you would consider doing it without marshmellows? what about the poor bunnies........... they'll be bloody furious :eek:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
and feathered

What???....... and you would consider doing it without marshmellows? what about the poor bunnies........... they'll be bloody furious :eek:

yuk it up, haha, I am ok with that, but yeah none of the can lights seem very tight, must have been a home owner job. There is a kind of collar that nails from above, which can't be done. The light is several inches from a joist. It was never attached to anything, I saw a new one in the store that had clips for this, so I am guessing this is an older edition. I didn't try foaming or gluing, it seem a good as the others. Maybe better.

I think nowadays, bubble gum is not as good as it used to be and overpriced so I no longer use it on the job, I prefer tar anyway. : )

·
Wandering and wondering
721 Posts
I think nowadays, bubble gum is not as good as it used to be and overpriced so I no longer use it on the job, I prefer tar anyway. : )
Decline in material quality... something we're all up against:D
Simple fix I would have done with the patch... throw some backing(metal stud or wood) in there next to the can. Screw it off. Sound like you couldn't get in there enough to do this... but sometime you have to ugly things up a bit more to make them right

·
Average Member
3,145 Posts
You know, you're right....melting a pile of marshmallows and smearing the resultant sticky goo around the can would be a good way to stabilize it, as well as having the side benefit of a potential new hobby in entomology. :whistling2:

... but sometime you have to ugly things up a bit more to make them right
:thumbsup:

·
post whore
7,772 Posts
You know, you're right....melting a pile of marshmallows and smearing the resultant sticky goo around the can would be a good way to stabilize it, as well as having the side benefit of a potential new hobby in entomology. :whistling2:

:thumbsup:
you forced me to Google entomology slim :furious:

It's the study of bugs:whistling2:

·
post whore
7,772 Posts
Aw, I'm sorry I made you use the googling type thing for something other than looking at Shakira's cootchie:rolleyes:
Yes, I like doing that type of research, I believe they call it P0RNtomology :thumbup:

So Shakira's Cootchie...... Gotcha......:thumbsup:....... Ill do some research right now:whistling2:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts