Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

This is my first post, although i have been using this site for a couple months now and have found some very useful information.

I have been painting for over 15 years and have just recently (after moving to a new area) decided to start my own painting company, something I have been doing on the side for the last 6 years. I know enough to know that I still have alot to learn and am looking forward to being a member of this community.

When I am bidding a painting job, I am often asked to do small (minor) drywall repairs, such as re-taping split joints, skim coats after wallpaper removal and small piece work. I am looking for some general information on how to price this stuff out. I know alot has been said on this topic here and in other forums, but the answers usually apply to hanging/finishing large areas where the price is given in either sqft. or per board. This really does'nt compute if i am just cutting out and replacing 2x2 piece where someone as put thier fist through the wall. I have had the opportunity to moonlight with a contractor who was also master drywaller, after which i would not even consider myself to be a profesional drywaller when compared to his work, but i can do patchwork and make butt-joints dissapear even if it takes an extra coat, and  little more sanding.

Here are some examples of what I want to be able to price out:

1. A doorway that had been closed up and was either poorly taped or not taped at all, leaving a crack where the jam once was. Total linear ft to be taped is about 17ft on each side of the wall.
2. A 12x12 room with 4 ft of bottom portion was wallpapered and needs to be skim coated after removal. total area 192 sqft.
3. Small piece work to repair damaged drywall.

I dont typicall like to charge hourly, so I am wondering if anyone has reasonable price per linear ft for something like 1 and 3 and sqft for 2. As I said above, this is in addition to a larger painting project

Thanks

matt

·
Wandering and wondering
721 Posts
Prices are a bit taboo to speak of... or so I've read :D
Seriously, prices per sq.ft. are different in every city, every state, so giving you a magic number wouldn't benefit you much. Since you are doing small projects, here's what I'd say. Figure how much you would like to pay yourself per hr, and in your costs, and go from there. There's a bunch of factors that will always vary job to job, just don't try to take on too much than you can handle, it's your name on the line, but when you do.... hire a finisher! We make cake out of crap daily :thumbup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the warning Philma, unfortunatley i posted a similar question on another blog and learned the hard way. I like your advice though.

·
drywall slave
10,565 Posts
Figure the time your losing slinging mud and not paint,,you guys make more $$ Than we do ...I've heard of tapers here charging $100 per sheet for repairs/chit work..Makes no sense to me,, 2 window patches can take 2 .8'ers Thats $200 ..not enough..
$25-$40 per hour Is fair for chit work [i think] But then I don't do the 4 coats in one trip thing..I also don't have a pc...so my repair work has to be finished off WITHOUT sanding...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts