21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Oh my!! It's 60/40 !

The hanger/boarder gets 40%

The finisher gets the rest !

It ain't ****ing rocket surgery !!!
Wow that's a larger spread than us up in canada for sure . When working for a Co they'll pay the taper 30 for basic and we will get 25 pretty standard spread . They get paid for bead on top as I get paid for framing and boarding bulkheads extra. And like I said before whoever gets a side job just pays more than the Co's were all happy with that regardless of trade. Tapers should get a higher rate it takes longer tools cost way more so I respect that for sure.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Wow that's a larger spread than us up in canada for sure . When working for a Co they'll pay the taper 30 for basic and we will get 25 pretty standard spread . They get paid for bead on top as I get paid for framing and boarding bulkheads extra. And like I said before whoever gets a side job just pays more than the Co's were all happy with that regardless of trade. Tapers should get a higher rate it takes longer tools cost way more so I respect that for sure.
I challenge you on cost of tools. I have rock carts, lasers, Skilsaws, Drills both cordless and corded. Routers for drywall and for doors. Stabila levels, plumb bobs. My tools cost way more than a set of taping tools. A finisher can drive a small truck but a hangar foreman can't.
If you compare shacks only then yes a finishers tools would be twice as much. At one point I've owned 3 PLS 180's. Every time it got dropped they'd sell me another for $200 IF I TURNED IN THE OLD.
fORGOT SHOTGUNS, screwjigs and shotgun poles.

·
drywall slave
10,565 Posts
Where I'm from finishers make less per hour than hangars. However, in the piecework shacks its the same 50 50. But, the hangars nails on all the metal. I'd be curious if it is still the same today. We also had to scrap out the house to the garage. Last time I piece worked shacks was 20 years ago. We also have longer axe handles.
Scrap out to the garage? LMFAO!!! Naw dude that chit goes to the bin! or to the trailer ..

Longer axe handles means your a hack! I don't hire blister makers !!

Thank God your retired .. the drywall trade is a hell of a lot better without you!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Where I'm from finishers make less per hour than hangars. However, in the piecework shacks its the same 50 50. But, the hangars nails on all the metal. I'd be curious if it is still the same today. We also had to scrap out the house to the garage. Last time I piece worked shacks was 20 years ago. We also have longer axe handles.
Here it is the same between finishers and rockers. A lead framer or ringer finisher might get more. in the 25.00-30.00 per hour range. We would never let a sheetrock hanger install corner bead. The bead installer uses a framing square and an aluminum straight edge such as tile setters may use. Or a six or eight foot level. We check the straightness and do any necessary shimming prior to bead install. I'm sure Mr Willys could easily handle the task. But most rockers don't have the patience. A quality bead install is more important than many people would choose to admit.

·
drywall slave
10,565 Posts
Here it is the same between finishers and rockers. A lead framer or ringer finisher might get more. in the 25.00-30.00 per hour range. We would never let a sheetrock hanger install corner bead. The bead installer uses a framing square and an aluminum straight edge such as tile setters may use. Or a six or eight foot level. We check the straightness and do any necessary shimming prior to bead install. I'm sure Mr Willys could easily handle the task. But most rockers don't have the patience. A quality bead install is more important than many people would choose to admit.
Most rockers only know hanging ! They don't know the full game ! it's not on there heads !

I speak as a long time hanger and finisher!

I was taught hanging first .

·
Registered
655 Posts
I learned to wood frame first then siding cedar shaking houses. Was just a helper back then .later I stumbled into boarding and later steel framing. I didn't take it to the level Willy did not even close. But I found knowing both has been much better no one need be called I can finish weather the framing is bad or incomplete and that does make our team more desirable to hire and that gets us a price that compares to a finisher rate . Experience helps for sure in more than just speed. I find most bad work come from teams that have one guy who knows boarding good than hires 2 or more not green but new boarders he is making money on . When you get a team like in that has years of experience we split money even you get good work no matter who it is its a trade if your good your good and hey we all make mistakes and also have had to work with crap.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If hanger getting.40cents I better be getting .75 or more to finish it or bye-bye contractor

21 - 34 of 34 Posts