Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! <br><br>I'm wondering how to price a 34 sheet garage. Obviously can't do square footage. No need. No texture. Just taping and sanding. This is my first side job. I work for someone else full time.<br>

·
Registered
444 Posts
Lots of ways to estimate. I have an estimating method that has worked well for me over the years. I usually take an old scrap of drywall, about 3'x3' and draw ten squares. I write the numbers zero through nine in the squares. Then I close my eyes and throw a dart at the sheetrock. On small jobs I throw the dart three times. On medium size jobs four times. And on bigger jobs five times. I record the numbers I hit with the dart. And that is my price. I've heard of other guys writing lots of random numbers on pieces of paper and putting them in a hat. From the hat they can draw a number. I've heard that works pretty good too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How many hours will it take you? How much do you want an hour? What are your on site material costs? Don't forget to add 15% to your material costs. The answer looks pretty easy to me.
Thanks Gasman! One more question from my idiot brain. When you price a job by the sheet, how does that work? Plus sanding. They're buying the materials.

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
655 Posts
If I get the job the finisher gets payed what I pay him. Out here 35 will get you a taper no prob I keep 5 . I do the board and make sure the taper finishes the job and the painter is happy it only cost me an hour or so if everything is right much more if not. When a finisher calls me to do a side jod I'm happy to board it at 35 and he can have the profit and stress.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
been in business for a long time... your company is only as good as your worst finisher!!! there is a hanger on every street corner... a good finisher is priceless..
From a shackers perspective who thinks Von Duprin is a WW2 character in an episode of Charley Brown.

Ones toil is not measured by ones craft but rather the passion they possess for said craft!

·
Registered
655 Posts
Aaahaaahaa only as good as you worst finisher Fire him . If your area is flooded with hangers they should leave you and everyone else to hang there own sh#t . It works Co's go belly up quite quickly. but my ? For Mr Moore was more based on the difference on per foot rates for each . What the Co's pay not what a finisher that has his own work he shares with a boarder like I said I make money on finishers quit often when I find my own work they do when they find the work . But if we both go to the same Co to get work it really is close in price they get a few more pennies I finish my part in less time .

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Where I'm from finishers make less per hour than hangars. However, in the piecework shacks its the same 50 50. But, the hangars nails on all the metal. I'd be curious if it is still the same today. We also had to scrap out the house to the garage. Last time I piece worked shacks was 20 years ago. We also have longer axe handles.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts