Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently remodeling a rental unit that has been occupied for the last 10 years or so. The tenants pretty much kept to themselves and never let us know of any issues. The bathroom ceiling is moldy and peeling to the point where I might have to remove all of the paper. I've treated it all with vinegar to kill the mold, started scaping away the loose stuff and soon came to realize that most of the paper would be coming off if I continued. Normally I would just remove all of the drywall and replace... but... it's a second story apartment and the attic above is full of vermiculite insulation, which is best not to disturb.

So my question is 1.) will the drywall hold it's integrity if I remove the majority of the paper or would it lose its surface strength, crack and drop all of the insulation into the room. If it will hold, would it be acceptable to scrape the paper, prime/seal and either skim coat or add a layer of 1/4" drywall over it?

If I'm totally off course feel free to let me know.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
162 Posts
im not there, but that looks more like a wood ceiling under there. every time ive seen cracks like that it was plywood under it. some of the junk prefab homes had that. like "national homes".

if so hang over it and be done with it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts