Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a non-square corner in my bathroom standup shower. Is it worth taking down the cement board and shimming to get it square?

Finished product will be tiled over.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
444 Posts
Idk, that's why I'm asking. I could put a little extra thinset in that area to get the corner square.

Drywall rule #1 .... Shims are always faster than mud.

Is it layed out square on the floor, but one or both walls are out of plumb or twisted? Is it poorly layed out at the floor? All good questions to ask.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts

Is it layed out square on the floor, but one or both walls are out of plumb or twisted? Is it poorly layed out at the floor? All good questions to ask.
Never used a shim on wood framing in my life. If framing is crooked the framer should fix it and not the drywaller. If you've got shims in your bid that's fine but we shouldn't have to fix others poor craftsmanship.
I have put bead on with a plumb bob and lasers but that was on my framing and it was metal.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I think the metal studs are a little bit out of line. Sounds like using some wood shims is the quickest way to go.

Thx

·
Registered
444 Posts
Never used a shim on wood framing in my life. If framing is crooked the framer should fix it and not the drywaller. If you've got shims in your bid that's fine but we shouldn't have to fix others poor craftsmanship.
I have put bead on with a plumb bob and lasers but that was on my framing and it was metal.
You must have led a sheltered life. Or better yet, you work around better wood framers than us. I send a couple of guys with straight edges, power planers, and lots of shims to straighten out butchered wood frame houses before we hang board. Sometimes bias cut crooked framing members and screw in a steel stud cripple. (If budget allows) The board hangers refuse to do much shimming. So we do it separately ahead of time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts