Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I've got an idea for a new, more ergonomic, mud pan.

The idea is to get the strain off the wrist by letting the arm support the weight, and keeping the wrist in a more neutral position.

This is a quick mock up made of foam core and styrofoam, but you get the idea.

Please take a look at the photos and let me know what you guys think
Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Any potential problems?
What do you like about it?
What do you not like about it?
Could anything be done differently?

Thanks,
J.

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
I think once it's built out of a durable material and loaded with mud, it will be alot of stress and pain on your arm after extensive use. The handle will take alot of pressure from twisting while using the mud and filling it will be aggrevating. A regular mud pan is easy to keep level where I think this might be pretty tough in certain procedures.

I honestly don't think I would like it, but I don't like mesh tape either.

Bill

·
Drywall Contractor
740 Posts
Sorry to burst your bubble but the angle of the pan is limited.

Your arm would chafe on movement of your wrist

It would take two hands to set it down

3 strikes your out.................

JS

·
dirty mudder
13 Posts
im a hand taper and cant see taping with this pan whatsoever. constantly flipping my pan and throwing it between my legs to apply tape. snazzy idea though for finishing only. think it would be akward scooping from it with it so far back on your arm.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Your new design maybe not have a market.

I have check some designs for mud pan. I private think original design is good. It maybe have a little inconvenience to use(the finesse is tire when using for long time) But these question is showing all design. And original is conventience to carry.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I personaly think finishers should have a personal "mud caddy" to follow us around and hold our pan for us.those golfers dont even need a caddy!Ride a golf cart you ignorant yuppies!..But seriously,that pan does get heavy.I would like to see a outside the box design for this.The hawk sux too!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I personaly think finishers should have a personal "mud caddy" to follow us around and hold our pan for us.those golfers dont even need a caddy!Ride a golf cart you ignorant yuppies!..But seriously,that pan does get heavy.I would like to see a outside the box design for this.The hawk sux too!

The was a co. about 10 yrs ago. I remember seeing in a mag. It was basically a large spray machine with crude attachment to get mud where you need it..never got off the ground, but i remember it had a hawk attachment, and the mud would flow up the center of the hawk handle and the push of a button. Closest thing ive see to a "mud caddy"...I guess you could do this with a graco mark5.

·
Registered
121 Posts
That auto loading hawk would be kind of cool the more i think about it. You could pump out whatever you needed and tool off in one swipe. Would not only save a lot in weight, but also trips to bucket and tooling mud around on hawk all the time...but then you have that dang hose to deal with..chit

·
FASTER THAN A MARE
2,024 Posts
looks cool but I have always liked the Idea to drop my pan on a Ledge etc. geuss it is personal if you like it or not, like the hawk with the knives sticking out of em, toooo heavy, or the flow pipes with patent pending wrtten on em, still trying to figure how you can patent something that has been around for years before

1 - 20 of 63 Posts