Wood Grey Asphalt Road surface Tints and shades
Rectangle Grey Wood Tints and shades Ceiling
Window Sky Shade Fixture Wood
Grey Rectangle Wood Tints and shades Composite material
Grey Rectangle Tints and shades Natural material Pattern
Wood Grey Asphalt Road surface Tints and shades

Grey Rectangle Tints and shades Natural material Pattern

Rectangle Grey Wood Tints and shades Ceiling

Hello! I’m sure this is a post many have posted before me and now that I’m writing this it has dawned on me to use the search function.. :oops: but in the mean time maybe I’ll leave this up in case my situation is unique, which it most likely is not lol so forgive me. My mom and I run a few remodels a year (3-4 average) and while we definitely know when to hire professionals, I have discovered that I throughly enjoy drywall repairs/taping/finishing so I’ve been trying to learn the correct steps and logical ways to hone my new found skill. While passion seems like a strange word to use in the case of drywall, it does bring me great joy. But that’s enough of that; while I was unable to work due to pregnancy complications and then having an adorable baby girl- there was someone that assured my mother they could handle the task! Well… I’m sure most of you know what happened next. I’d love if anyone had the time or tips to share on what the best way to correct this would be. I’ve done my fair share of projects so I’m not a novice, but I also won’t pretend to be in the same category as you professionals. Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I share your passion for drywall finishing. Thanks for the photos as they surely made a few pro finishers happy. Not so much as ridicule of your situation, but having the experience with someone claiming they could do something they are clueless about. Best way to 'weed' out posers is to ask in depth questions about the process required. Any hem hawing or stutterring is the sign to walk away. Here is my opinion of the direction your project as far as the drywall mess is concerned needs to go in. Try this on a small suitable test section. Spray a water mist on a joint and let it set for a little while, then peel off the tape in the joint (assumption it is paper tape and not fiberglass mesh) Scrape off as much joint compound as possible. This should leave a fairly good rework surface. A youtuber that I have watched is vancouver carpenter. He demos many taping methods and equipment types. First rule of taping is adequate jc behind tape and firmly wipe it smooth. Then successive passes to finish the joints. Best of luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! I have watched a couple of his videos before a year of two ago, I’ll try and find him again! I believe it is a mix of paper tape and mesh because I have found evidence of both while trying to sand down other parts of the “repairs”.. I’m guessing from your reply that the mesh doesn’t come off as easily as the paper?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts