Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner
21 - 40 of 1018 Posts

·
Wannabe Woodworker
2,041 Posts
My treat for next week. The guys went to rock it today, will try and get a pic of the before to finish. This will ba a challenge....again

Attachments

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Can't have the Kiwi's missing out Gaz!
Thats sounds great jswain, Im happy to pay for hire, glue, postage etc.

I have a few questions i would like to find about with the rebate mate, The ceiling and wall butts are what its for but in nz we often get rebated window and door revels that are installed first, Then the board fits into the groove, This creates many more butt joins above each corner and below the windows/doors, they can be a little prone to cracking, But with a rebate mate butt, You could get a thicker mud seam.

So, It is an option to use the rebate mate for these, keeping in mind they may only be a butt 3 or 4 hundred mm wide.
I will be using these revels in my own home, Why you say?? Becouse you dont need to pay for the trim, or the time to install, or the time filling hundreds of nail gun holes, Or watching the mitres open up over time, and its a standard thing with the housing kit im using, So its more cost affective, I guess so is not having butts above the windows and doors to do, But i can sort that, Muds cheap, And its not too much time for me, And i actually like the look, They paint up very well.

I wont be needing it till later on in the year but look forward to trying it out. Im quietly confident it will work out but the question is how much extra time will it take on a house like this, Being my own place im not bothered if its a bit longer, But builders here certainly wont want much extra time to do the job, It will be very interesting to see how it goes, Thank you jswain :thumbsup:

·
Registered
352 Posts
Trowel trades have em, Is it "stopper" from dunedin has one. He posts here and has mentioned it but as usual they are another over priced tool for us, Around the $800 mark for a glora fide anglegrinder, And you need a vac, They wont get used in my area, Not a hope in hell of it, I would like to hire one later on in the year when i do my house for a go but wouldnt know who to ask, Maybe troweltrades have a lender model.
If you mean a rebate tool, its not me that has one...:thumbsup:

·
post whore
7,772 Posts
Well, holidays over, back to the grind, I shall call this job Satan's dungeon

This is a 15,000 sq ft in drywall, main floor. They still got to do the basement, and the garage yet. Now one line of crap I think someone was trying to feed me, is the one bathroom is going to be worth $200,000 when it's all done, and it's for a dog:eek: !!!!!. When I asked the builder if this was true, he said there was a bathroom just for the dog, but would not go into detail. Then he proceeded to tell me to be careful around the front door, since it was worth $20,000......

Is today April the 1st:blink:

Attachments

·
post whore
7,772 Posts
In the last pic, 2bjr is saying hi again to all you guys at DWT, I'm sure he's saying your all number one in his heart:whistling2:

Attachments

·
Wannabe Woodworker
2,041 Posts
Looks like home for a bit.. maybe our first bigdog bazooka vid:yes:. Lookin forward to more pics and vid:thumbsup:

·
Rock'n Hawk
1,523 Posts
Better you than me 2buck ! :D Have fun ! Maybe jr will be able to get his zooka out of hawk after this job. :rolleyes:

Does the dog get a bidet also ?:blink:

·
Registered
352 Posts
in nz we often get rebated window and door revels that are installed first, Then the board fits into the groove, This creates many more butt joins above each corner and below the windows/doors, they can be a little prone to cracking, But with a rebate mate butt, You could get a thicker mud seam.
Do you mean Archiframes? If the drywall installers doing his job correctly there shouldn't be joins at the edges of windows and doors. It just takes a little more skill to slip the pieces of Drywall into the rebates.
I almost never fix drywall and was able to cut a Capital "I" shaped piece and fit it between two windows placing the joins mid way above and below both windows and cleanly into the rebates round the windows, and if an amateur like me can do it a Builder or drywaller should be able to as well.
I struck a house as you described once, 4 butt joints round every window and above doors , 150 in total. had to "v" them all out and prefill them twice before taping. I wasn't very polite to the builder when I met him, first time I've ever been rude to anyone on a building site :D

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Do you mean Archiframes? If the drywall installers doing his job correctly there shouldn't be joins at the edges of windows and doors. It just takes a little more skill to slip the pieces of Drywall into the rebates.
I almost never fix drywall and was able to cut a Capital "I" shaped piece and fit it between two windows placing the joins mid way above and below both windows and cleanly into the rebates round the windows, and if an amateur like me can do it a Builder or drywaller should be able to as well.
I struck a house as you described once, 4 butt joints round every window and above doors , 150 in total. had to "v" them all out and prefill them twice before taping. I wasn't very polite to the builder when I met him, first time I've ever been rude to anyone on a building site :D
Yeah thats it stopper, It depends who you get for a fixer and if they gave a f or not, Some builders are screwed down in prices, so its slam it up, It is what it is atitude, Not a lot thankfully. Most of the places i have done over the last few years have been architraves.

And 2Buck, That place looks awsome, I would love to get something like that to do, So what crazy timeframe have you got?? 10days?? :jester:

·
post whore
7,772 Posts
Looks like home for a bit.. maybe our first bigdog bazooka vid:yes:. Lookin forward to more pics and vid:thumbsup:
Ill see if the little Pric.... I mean 2bjr is up to doing a video tomorrow. Not the best house to do a vid in. He will be running the zook off the stilts. Could end up being a comedy vid. My newb keeps wanting to wipe the flat tapes back handed,,,,, not good:blink:

Reactions: chris

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Wow! I still can't believe the amount of detail that goes into some of those houses, ours are full on if they have a recess ceiling and maybe an inset in the wall.
Gidday 2bjr Where ya been buddy?..... 2buck gets all soppy when you two have a tiff, under that big hairy round body of his there is a big softee who just needs a hug from time to time......:whistling2:

·
Wandering and wondering
721 Posts
This is another peeve that we're dealing with on every job. I'm commercial, so it's always hack and slash... we get 2"-5" joints over every door, saves time on the hanging, but hitting this stuff after finish paint is never fun

This week I spent half a day going back to someone else's job repairing crack's above every single door in the space... with my 2" knife, good times :yes:

I know... I bitch alot :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Holy crap 2Buck! I took a little nap when I got home because I was burnt out, then I wake up and see that I missed all the excitement!
Thats a beautiful home! Showcase stuff right there! I love it!
I'd love to tackle that! Have fun man! Let me know if you need a hand ;)

21 - 40 of 1018 Posts