Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Drywall Jedi
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sooooo, I'm not a real experienced texture guy...but I took on this piece of patch work to get me to the next house.<br><br>The ceiling is already pretty rough, the client had some water damage and I've replaced the necessary drywall and taped it.<br><br>What's the best plan of attack on this; I've seen guys do this with half a sponge and a brush.  I have both.<br><br>Crappy thing is the ceilings been painted, so it was a battle scrapping off enough texture to get the tape on.<br><br>I'm guessing I should do a fill coat to get everything level, then do the texture after that dries.<br><br>Any thoughts?<br><br>Thanks guys...<br>

Attachments

·
Registered
791 Posts
They sell a texture brush for that---we used to do lots of them around my parts they called it Spanish swirl [probably not proper term] if you buy the brush soak it in a bucket overnight then take it out set on flat surface and put weight on it to flatten out [let set like that for several hrs to retain shape--- or buy the largest masons brush and try to match size of swirl----we mix compound and primer together ,roll on about 1/2 of the patch area then swirl in with brush, then roll rest of area and do same,----- good luck!!!!

·
Drywall Jedi
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They sell a texture brush for that---we used to do lots of them around my parts they called it Spanish swirl [probably not proper term] if you buy the brush soak it in a bucket overnight then take it out set on flat surface and put weight on it to flatten out [let set like that for several hrs to retain shape--- or buy the largest masons brush and try to match size of swirl----we mix compound and primer together ,roll on about 1/2 of the patch area then swirl in with brush, then roll rest of area and do same,----- good luck!!!!

Thanks DS, gonna soak my brush tonight...I'll post a pic when I'm done...if I don't get fired first!

·
drywall slave
10,565 Posts
That looks like a 6'' brush.. maybe 8''... go to the wallpaper section at lowe's or H/D they should have em there.. When it comes to swirls IMO/IME there near impossible to match up ,each swirl interlocks with the next.When h/os ask me about swirl ceilings I tell them this..If they get damaged you my have to flatten out and start over..

I roll mud on fairly heavy ...wash brush out in clean water ,,sling the brush out swirl a row or two then rinse n sling.. repeat..oh!!!!keep the mud clean! One little piece of trash will make you cuss...Like DSjohn said ...Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
344 Posts
all i can say is explane to the home owner that it's not going to look perfect.......swirls are the worst to do patch work. i always recomend hanging a new ceiling and starting over and if the h/o declines that i have them sign off on the repair estimate that patch work will not match 100%.

·
Wannabe Woodworker
2,041 Posts
I would skim or roll whole patch and wait 3 or 4 minutes and by the look from pic the "texture guy" started on that back wall where cabinet isnt masked,if using same or similar brush just copy his pattern and it should layout real close. Go about a foot or so bigger when texturing ( skim a lil smaller) . If you are able to stick around for a while when its drying use a slightly wet sponge and wipe mud off existing tex around patch to smoothe it in.

Reactions: getplastered

·
Average Member
3,145 Posts
Wallpaper brush? I have one that's 14" or so. I think you'll be fine, and like Chris says it looks like they started at photo left (where your patch is). They weren't super precise with their lines so as long as you don't get super clean lines you should be great...they've got some heavy edges too. Have fun, and everything's going to be super-duper.

·
post whore
7,772 Posts
I second what drywall guy and Moore are saying. very hard to match someone else's work. Start new if you can. You will see the start and stop lines.

Guessing there's a fancy design around the center (light) that the HO wants to keep. Show a pic of that if you can

·
Drywall Jedi
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Right on guys...I like the positive thinking!

I tried to get the ho to drop the entire ceiling...almost had her convinced, but obviously my price was a bit too high...

I also explained that it may not match 100%....which is ok cause up close it's pretty rough already...one of the reasons I took the job!

Ill snap a pic of the center today 2buck...it's not the nicest medallion I've seen.

Thanks again guys!

·
Average Member
3,145 Posts
Right on guys...I like the positive thinking!

I tried to get the ho to drop the entire ceiling...almost had her convinced, but obviously my price was a bit too high...

I also explained that it may not match 100%....which is ok cause up close it's pretty rough already...one of the reasons I took the job!

Ill snap a pic of the center today 2buck...it's not the nicest medallion I've seen.

Thanks again guys!
Just remember to wet sponge the skim skim coat to feather the edges...I'd skim everything that you think you can get away with, maybe staying out of that last row next to the medallion. You can always swirl your clean brush in the old texture to make the overlap work, and then wash any goobers off the paint.......it'll be mah-vell-uss

·
Registered
276 Posts
I do alot of repair work. Home owners always tell me you can match that right. I tell them nope. They look at me like what :eek: And I tell them Im not the same guy that did it before its not the same mud. And this was done years and years before. I usually convince them to just redo the entire ceiling but if not I make them sign some thing that says it will not be a 100 % match and they cant come after me for doing a bad job.

·
Drywall Jedi
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do alot of repair work. Home owners always tell me you can match that right. I tell them nope. They look at me like what :eek: And I tell them Im not the same guy that did it before its not the same mud. And this was done years and years before. I usually convince them to just redo the entire ceiling but if not I make them sign some thing that says it will not be a 100 % match and they cant come after me for doing a bad job.
Alright; so I did a fill coat today trying to smooth out the tape, and I'll attempt this friken texture tomorrow. Practiced on a scrap piece of board this afternoon after letting my brush soak overnight.

·
Drywall Jedi
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright; so I did a fill coat today trying to smooth out the tape, and I'll attempt this friken texture tomorrow. Practiced on a scrap piece of board this afternoon after letting my brush soak overnight.
Didn't mean to post that so quick...thanks for the pointers so far...here is my inspiration for this job...if I can make it look half this good i'll be happy!

·
Drywall Jedi
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just remember to wet sponge the skim skim coat to feather the edges...I'd skim everything that you think you can get away with, maybe staying out of that last row next to the medallion. You can always swirl your clean brush in the old texture to make the overlap work, and then wash any goobers off the paint.......it'll be mah-vell-uss

I got ya slim...this ones for you!

·
drywall slave
10,565 Posts
Didn't mean to post that so quick...thanks for the pointers so far...here is my inspiration for this job...if I can make it look half this good i'll be happy!

Deep Swirl Repair - YouTube
Looks like the guy done a great repair ..I have never tried the swirl with a sponge . and is it just me ..or was there a **** playing in the background??:eek:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts