Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I’m looking for a new power and I’ve been looking at the Flex but I can’t find much on comparing it to the porter cable

I’ve got an old PC sander that’s pretty well worn out. (Eats brushes like they are going out of style. Lol)
Got 2 of the new Dewalt cordless ones. ( one lasted 7 months and burned up, sent it off for repair and bought another, it lasted about 2 and a half months and still haven’t gotten the first one back )
Thought about the festool. But seems like it’d be slow with the low RPMs
Would buy another PC or the new dewalt rebrand of the PC but like on the 2 cordless ones I’m not that impressed with the longevity of them.
Any ones have any experience with the Flex that can compare to the porter cable or even the dewalt?
(and yes I have tried a cheapy 200 dollar sander. And I sanded half a house and it ended up in the dumpster).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Alright, so I’m looking for a new power and I’ve been looking at the Flex but I can’t find much on comparing it to the porter cable

I’ve got an old PC sander that’s pretty well worn out. (Eats brushes like they are going out of style. Lol)
Got 2 of the new Dewalt cordless ones. ( one lasted 7 months and burned up, sent it off for repair and bought another, it lasted about 2 and a half months and still haven’t gotten the first one back )
Thought about the festool. But seems like it’d be slow with the low RPMs
Would buy another PC or the new dewalt rebrand of the PC but like on the 2 cordless ones I’m not that impressed with the longevity of them.
Any ones have any experience with the Flex that can compare to the porter cable or even the dewalt?
(and yes I have tried a cheapy 200 dollar sander. And I sanded half a house and it ended up in the dumpster).
Iv used a flex GE5 and the old style flex giraffe (bigger body) for the last 10 years, never had a problem, other than a few replacement cables. They sand approx 2 houses a week. I recently tried the cordless dewalt, but they don’t really have the vacuum solution sorted out for the amount of work I do (I’d need around 5 batteries for sander and vac), so personally I’d say go with the flex GE5, faultless!! I saw one guy mention bad swirl marks, this is true if you use cheap disks. I always make sure to use the buy genuine Flex disks which are perforated and have foam backing which helps with a more gentle approach and doesnt rip the shit out of the wall. Failing that, manual pole sand lightly after you’ve machined and it will polish it up nicely 👍

·
Registered
8 Posts
I like the festool and like the Flex as well.
But I only use them for rough sanding. They really flatten things out. But for finishing just use a sanding pool. I get way too many problems. Then you gotta go over it with your sanding Pole and take out the swirls. Doesn't seem worth it to me. Unless you got that level 5 paint. That's a different conversation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts