Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a little old house (1921) in Bay Area (California), which means there has been alot of movement over the years (last earthquake was 2 wks ago), which I bought 2 years ago and it is sucking the money out of me and I need to do repairs myself. I want to retexture the ceiling in my front room, I recently took out an old wall heater and there are numerous notable repair areas. I know it is a plaster ceiling. It has flat paint and a bunch of prior bad repairs. I want to do a smooth ceiling but will do rolled texture if it doesn't come out. I am watching the youtube videos (yes, unfortunately, I am one of those DYI'ers). This project doesn't have to be perfect, but I want to do the best job I can. I have tiled a kitchen before (which came out at least liveable), so I at least know what joint compound is, and i really want to learn how to do this right. I was told that since the ceiling is plaster, I shouldn't sand it prior to putting on a skim coat. Any pointers (other than hiring someone, no money really here).

·
Registered
8 Posts
it’s hard to say without seeing the ceiling but likely how I would smooth it out would be to Use Fibafuse over cracks, and put skim 2 coats on ceiling, go one direct first, light sand once dry, then skim again in other direct and finish sand
Since smooth ceilings are a finished product, it is not usually something a DIY would do, at least if you really are looking for a professional finish

·
Registered
136 Posts
look up "skip trowel finish" . its easy and hides all the waves and stuff of old plaster lids. cracks in plaster can never be guaranteed to not return. a lot of the times they dont but be ready for it. use fastset compound to tape and smooth any cracks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's a great way to get a fresh start in life. I like old houses like this because I see a special atmosphere in them that is really mesmerizing. I'm sure you can find a lot of pluses in this plan for aesthetics lovers. That's why I found Belize real estate to be an essential resource. This is one of the places where I feel comfortable because they have a lot of interesting real estate options that you may also like if you look.

·
Registered
1 Posts
To be honest, this will take you some time, and money, so be prepared. However, I love that you want to restore an old house. By the way, I will suggest you install solar panels. In this way, you will save some money on electricity. Personally, I have been using solar panels for quite a while, so I can tell you that those things are a must-have. Anyway, wish you the best of luck with restoring the house. If there is something I can help you with, feel free to text me. I will be grateful to give you a hand.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Personally, I would advise you to sell it, the prices are high right now, and you can buy another house later when they drop. You can get a very decent amount of money right now, even if it's old, because people are desperately looking to buy a house for a price which they can afford to pay. Meanwhile, you can read this article by Tim Thomas, and understand the housing market better, so you can be ready when the opportunity comes and the prices go down.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The one thing I was looking for in a real estate company is that they should have a vast knowledge of the area and a great team of agents who can help me with any questions I have. On houseincity.com, I found all that I needed. The best part about this site was that they could send me information on new properties as soon as they became available in my area of interest, which is what most other sites didn't offer, so it was great! I recommend this website to anyone who wants an easy way to find real estate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts