Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Mudder Lover
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what everyone is using for lightchecking.

Have been using the simple old trouble light with guard removed with bare bulb. used 100 watt bulbs as well as 60 watt bulbs (whatever is cheap as they do break eventually) Seen other rigs with clamp to attach to bench or whatever and lights with shields on one side.

Welcome a discussion here as I don't mind investing in a better light as mine is paid for and an upgrade shouldn't break my tool budget.

·
Just doing my job.
464 Posts
Bare 100 watter for me. Only problem for me is I can't manage the cord very well doing tops sometimes and it slows me down.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Using 150 watt, easy on the eyes but it only covers a smaller area at a time. Sometimes i go back at night with the light to check over things. It works very well and i can pick up everything. Its one of those lights on a stand with the long skinny bulb, i just carry it around, works great.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Its easy to wipe the dust off the plastic lens on the fluorescent, which keeps the light consistent. I found the incandescent would get dust covered over time and continually dimmer until I could wipe it off. And I get tired of breaking bulbs. In any case my customers end up happy.

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
I have a couple of 400 watt metal halide wobble lights that work good and light up a very large area, but when sanding the best I have found was just a plain 300 watt clear bulb that i screw into a treble light without the aluminum guard just the socket fastened to a make shift handle. I use to use an old light stand that came out of a doctors office that had a base with the adjustable height pole and flexible conduit on the top worked really well. A good 300 watt incandescent bulb will show any imperfections when held up against wall or ceiling. Anything less than that is not bright enough. Back to the wobble light pretty much indestructible depending on where you buy the bulbs anywheres from 28 to 65 bucks but they will last for years unless they take a direct hit hard from something.

·
Drywall Contractor
740 Posts
I don't use a light and have no issues. Proper application and sanding is all it takes.

Why you all using a light?

Someone skipping something along the way here?

Get back to work you slackers!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts