Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello-

I have wanted to put crown molding on cabinets but in many cases there is the fur down (or fir down) that is sheet rock boxed up from the ceiling to the top of the cabinets, and often with a little ceiling area over the sink.

My question is what to expect when I try to take it down. Will there just be some bare studs and and ceiling joints that need to be covered and in the case of the ceiling, texture matched? I would not expect to find plumbing there to deal with but I could be very wrong. What do you think?

·
Registered
717 Posts
Mostly just framing, alot of times you will find wiring and occasionally plumbing. Yes you will likely have to patch in ceiling and finish accordingly can't you just apply a smaller crown from cabinet to ceiling. Sounds like a whole bunch of work just to add crown molding to top of cabinets. But good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Those soffits can Cary electrical and sometimes duct work. I would add crown moulding from the soffit to the Ceiling and carry it through the dining area.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fur down

Thanks, I figured most of the time it was just a way to fit the cabinets in. The trend today is to put crown on the existing cabinets and to even raise some of them to the ceiling, they are up and down now a lot, plus folks are building a surround for the refrigerator, adding lots of corbels etc. It looks like a good area to investigate considering the budgets today.

I was looking a an amazing redo on facebook and I did notice that after the tear out there was only studs, then drywall in the next photos, but he failed to show off how he sprayed the aristex, you could see from the photos that this was what was in the rest of the kitchen ---gee, given the spaces, you might want to spray the ceiling patch first then try to blend it it---I dunno.

I guess the only way to find out if there is plumbing or electrical would be to cut open a place and look with a flashlight. I suppose if there was electrical etc. You could redo the the down with a recess for the crown, yeah it is a lot of work but if you can save the existing cabinets some you can come in way under the cabinet builders even the big box guys start out at 12,000.00 even tho they will ask you to sit down and hear about the 3,000 dollar specials---they don't exist. I would post some photos but they belong to a guy on facebook, I am getting ahead of myself really getting ready for that big bid you know....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

·
Wannabe Woodworker
2,041 Posts
Crazy you mention this but we just did a little kitchen remodel for some folks in a upper end not very old home and when soffits were removed there was sheetrock :thumbup: untaped but srewed. Appears they built in soffits after lid got hung but before tape . I was surprised to see that. Most of the time its ductwork or plywood built soffits.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Crazy you mention this but we just did a little kitchen remodel for some folks in a upper end not very old home and when soffits were removed there was sheetrock :thumbup: untaped but srewed. Appears they built in soffits after lid got hung but before tape . I was surprised to see that. Most of the time its ductwork or plywood built soffits.
A lot of the soffits we do are built after the lid has been drywalled. It's the way they were on the blueprints. Specially for hospitals and schools.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts