Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why drywall joints cracked? Some professionals believe that the main reason for drywall joints crack is there is no mud in the gap behind the tape. And that is why good tapers pre-fill the joints with taping mud before applying the tape. It is time consuming to fill all the joints with mud. So what do you think? Is it really necessary to fill the joints before taping?

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is a interesting question. Why do you ask? I think there are certain factors that would make a difference (how large of gap, region of construction, type of construction, type of drywall..ect). I personally pre fill my joints and gaps before I start. There is also a question of what type of mud to use to prefill and how long to wait before actually putting on the tape.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is a interesting question. Why do you ask? I think there are certain factors that would make a difference (how large of gap, region of construction, type of construction, type of drywall..ect). I personally pre fill my joints and gaps before I start. There is also a question of what type of mud to use to prefill and how long to wait before actually putting on the tape.
Thank you for your answer. I have been trying to figure out why some joints crack for years. I used to use a automatic taper to apply paper tape to the joints directly without Prefill the gaps. And sometimes got call back for cracks. Later on I used fast set mud to fill big gaps and premixed mud to fill regular joints. It takes a little more time but no more problems since then. I know quite a few tapers they just don’t bother to do Prefill and they said that’s ok. sometimes I wonder if it is worth the time to Prefill the joints. Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts