Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
post whore
7,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Holy chit, the Kiwi's might of been right about something:blink:

Finally got to play with some today, and as my title suggest, is it a game changer.

2bjr won't shut up about it, he taped out a large garage with it today, then coated over the flats right away. He's in love with it already.

I'm taking a wait and see approach, will see how it dried tomorrow. I did pre-fill some of the flats with hotmud, and left 70% of the others not pre-filled, to see if there is a difference.

Why I use game changer

I can see jobs that are small (7,000sq and under) you could tape and coat out the flats right away, and your angle tapes should dry faster also.

And speaking of angles, I was impressed how they looked:blink:

·
Registered
187 Posts

Finally got to play with some today, and as my title suggest, is it a game changer.

2bjr won't shut up about it, he taped out a large garage with it today, then coated over the flats right away. He's in love with it already.

I'm taking a wait and see approach, will see how it dried tomorrow. I did pre-fill some of the flats with hotmud, and left 70% of the others not pre-filled, to see if there is a difference.

Why I use game changer

I can see jobs that are small (7,000sq and under) you could tape and coat out the flats right away, and your angle tapes should dry faster also.

And speaking of angles, I was impressed how they looked:blink:
im always a little nervous with new stuff
i seen it in the stucco bussiness with new stuff what a mess
i thought the buts were cracking with that new tape
your saying you can tape with it trew the zook normal mud and coated same day
like using mesh tape with hot mud

·
post whore
7,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im always a little nervous with new stuff
i seen it in the stucco bussiness with new stuff what a mess
i thought the buts were cracking with that new tape
your saying you can tape with it trew the zook normal mud and coated same day
like using mesh tape with hot mud
YES, tape and coat same day:yes:

Credit goes to tim0282 for tape and coat in same day, when he said that on this site, that's when the tiny light bulb went off in my head:whistling2:
That's also why I pre-filled some joints, and didn't with some. We could tell at the end of the day the pre-filled ones were looking better. Plus the prefilled ones should dry faster also.

As for the cracks appearing in butts, That was moose boy having that problem,,,,,,,,,, need I say more:D:whistling2:

·
Registered
187 Posts

Credit goes to tim0282 for tape and coat in same day, when he said that on this site, that's when the tiny light bulb went off in my head:whistling2:
That's also why I pre-filled some joints, and didn't with some. We could tell at the end of the day the pre-filled ones were looking better. Plus the prefilled ones should dry faster also.

As for the cracks appearing in butts, That was moose boy having that problem,,,,,,,,,, need I say more:D:whistling2:

no lol

·
Registered
187 Posts
i might start using it in the garages to see how it works good pace to test it

garage are cold abit i find out if it cracks

all tape and coat them same day and keep an i on over the next few months
i have 3 garages to tape next week will start the test lol

·
Registered
3,507 Posts

Hey hey!
I was one of the first local guys who started pushing FibaFuse allot.
I since found out what happened with those cracked butt joints. I had never paid attention but they were all on the same wall of the house. I just came to the conclusion that there was something wrong with that wall. Because the one butt joint would open and close. Almost like the wall itself was flexing. The one day, the butt joint was split open a quarter inch wide and I was like :eek: Holy crap!!, but it was behind the cupboards anyways so I just left it, but then the next day, it was closed up tight again and you can barely even tell there was a crack at all, you had to look extremely close.
So I don't believe it was a FibaFuse issue. It was the house. Structural problems.
I've never had any other problems with it on any of my other houses.
As soon as I first used it I immediately loved it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
A sheep shagger always tells the truth :yes: We said it was good chit, And it is.

http://www.drywalltalk.com/f9/fibafuse-thoughts-views-1175/

Ive started using it on corners now as well, Flush, Sand, Anglehead :thumbsup: Sharp man, Sharp.
like to ask u a few qwestion on it

how many houses would you say you tape with it now or sq ft
how many months is your weather always consistent year round
and why due you find it better then paper

thx

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
I like the sound of that.....go on say it again, a bit louder this time so everyone can hear it :D

To partly answer Newagestucco's question, I think I've been using it for maybe 2 years now? (rough guess), and I haven't seen any long term problems, I'm guessing I must have done dozens of new homes with it, one thing to remember is we have strict timber moisture regulations here so structural movement is at a minimum, it stood the test of earthquakes, one house I did was relocated and the board broke in several places but the joins were fine.
The only problem I can find with Fibafuse is the price.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
I got two rolls a while ago (cost over twenty dollars delivered) and have been using it on the Rebate Mate joints. The rebate is a bit deeper than the factory ones so you have move mud in them and they can take longer to dry. The Fuze seems to help them dry quicker, and even if they are not 100% dry you dont get the tram tracks that you get with paper.

·
Registered
276 Posts
There is only one problem I am having using it. When Im wiping it down I tend to tear into the tape. Im sure its just me getting used to how to do it. But does anyone have any tips. Im tired of my mud getting full of little fiber cr*p. But other then that I love the stuff make repair Jobs go super fast.

·
Average Member
3,145 Posts
Hey hey!
I was one of the first local guys who started pushing FibaFuse allot.
I since found out what happened with those cracked butt joints. I had never paid attention but they were all on the same wall of the house. I just came to the conclusion that there was something wrong with that wall. Because the one butt joint would open and close. Almost like the wall itself was flexing. The one day, the butt joint was split open a quarter inch wide and I was like :eek: Holy crap!!, but it was behind the cupboards anyways so I just left it, but then the next day, it was closed up tight again and you can barely even tell there was a crack at all, you had to look extremely close.
So I don't believe it was a FibaFuse issue. It was the house. Structural problems.

I've never had any other problems with it on any of my other houses.
As soon as I first used it I immediately loved it.
I'm not one to say I told you so.....:whistling2:

·
Registered
42 Posts
if the fibrefuse is ripping you left the tape on the wall wet for too long it tears... just a small inconvenience with the product but from what i can tell from giving this produst a 200% go, great product........ fantastic actually less resistance wiping flats, like 75% less push, and the rolling is a bit more effort if left too long it ventures to the side like all tape. but ive never seen a tape product slide and cover better.......excellent job guys A+++

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
There is only one problem I am having using it. When Im wiping it down I tend to tear into the tape. Im sure its just me getting used to how to do it. But does anyone have any tips. Im tired of my mud getting full of little fiber cr*p. But other then that I love the stuff make repair Jobs go super fast.
Thin your mud down more, don't use too much pressure wiping over butts because it might cut through the tape, if you use a knife in the corners hold the knife at an angle so the point doesn't tear the tape.....real easy to do. The tapes designed to be used with thin runny mud so it blends/fuses through the tape.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
if the fibrefuse is ripping you left the tape on the wall wet for too long it tears... just a small inconvenience with the product but from what i can tell from giving this produst a 200% go, great product........ fantastic actually less resistance wiping flats, like 75% less push, and the rolling is a bit more effort if left too long it ventures to the side like all tape. but ive never seen a tape product slide and cover better.......excellent job guys A+++
If you leave the tape on the wall too long and it's ripping then it might be from the tape getting dryer/thicker (just guessing).
Bloody shame you like it so much.......that was probably a free sample you tried, wait until they find out the price of it, over here it's double the price of papertape and there's half as much on a roll, so thats four times the price of paper :eek:

·
Rock'n Hawk
1,523 Posts
I got two rolls a while ago (cost over twenty dollars delivered)
When Im wiping it down I tend to tear into the tape.I'm tired of my mud getting full of little fiber cr*p.
if the fibrefuse is ripping you left the tape on the wall wet for too long it tears... just a small inconvenience
Thin your mud down more, don't use too much pressure wiping over butts because it might cut through the tape, if you use a knife in the corners hold the knife at an angle so the point doesn't tear the tape.....real easy to do.
wait until they find out the price of it, over here it's double the price of papertape and there's half as much on a roll, so thats four times the price of paper :eek:
Wow, what an endorsement ! I think I'll go buy some immediately ! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
699 Posts
Thats sucks about the price down there Kiwi I pay $7 for a 500' roll here. As far as wiping it if you get a little to far ahead of yourself and the mud starts to set its no fun especially in the angles, but one room at a time is no problem. I wipe with an old Ames wipedown knife which is broke in real nice (see my vid) I find newer knives tear it easier. Also that knife bends a lot so when I wipe I push hard and get it to bend so its not on edge so much.

·
post whore
7,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Some pics of the fibafuse drying. This is in a garage, 12ft high. The temperature was a nice comfy Canadian fall day of 4 degrees Celsius. I pre-filled the bottom joint with hotmud, well the top joint I did not. There was a 220 electric heater in the garage, so since heat rises, the bottom joint is showing better results. It is drying faster, and there is less shrinkage too.:yes:

Single pass done with a NS 10" box, no trace or double pass done.

And yes our rockers use nails:(

Attachments

1 - 20 of 201 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.