Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone-

I am new to the site and thought I would ask about how people are dealing with the announced price increase for wallboard. 35% increase is hard to explain to clients.

Anyone know if this is fizzling like the last four USG announced in 2011?

Thanks!

·
Registered
774 Posts
I guess thats why my supplier dropped Usg and is now only selling pro roc certainteed that is made in Canada.:mad:

·
Registered
313 Posts
I guess thats why my supplier dropped Usg and is now only selling pro roc certainteed that is made in Canada.:mad:
I am in NY and all our certainteed pro-roc is union made & says"not for use in canada".Right on the back.

As for the increase, around here it went up about 30% .All my jobs & bids were done with the increase in mind.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Isn't much the clients can do about it. I just showed them the receipts where I paid more than i bid. My price is only good for 30 days anyhow. Any quotes it would have affected were bid high to include 35%.

I figured if it never increased I would actually make profit for once.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
774 Posts
I am only about 30 minutes from the border an hour from Montreal. Pretty sure there is a major drywall manufacturer close by but on the quebecker side. As for price its still the same its about $7 per 1/2
4x8 sheet. As for quality its been pretty good. I definately recommend letting it acclimate with electric heat and dehumidifiers for a few days before taping.

·
drywall slave
10,565 Posts
I am in NY and all our certainteed pro-roc is union made & says"not for use in canada".Right on the back.

As for the increase, around here it went up about 30% .All my jobs & bids were done with the increase in mind.
Same here :yes: ,,and it's trash..I refuse to use pro-rock...or anything made by certainteed...:furious: Gold bond or Temple rock for me..**** certainteed!

·
Registered
774 Posts
Off the subject but the screws that we are using are made in the USA. Carson is the name brand. :thumbsup:.

·
post whore
7,772 Posts
I am only about 30 minutes from the border an hour from Montreal. Pretty sure there is a major drywall manufacturer close by but on the quebecker side. As for price its still the same its about $7 per 1/2
4x8 sheet. As for quality its been pretty good. I definately recommend letting it acclimate with electric heat and dehumidifiers for a few days before taping.
Your right, was talking to a certainteed rep last week. They have plants all across North America. They were having problems with some of their plants, with the tiger stripping occurring. Not sure where it's made where I am, but I remember him saying the Virginian plant was having problems. He was saying how the raw materials etc... like the gypsum and paper can vary from plant to plant. With the price increase , he was like "oh yeah, it's coming !!".

For sure in the states, it's going to happen, Not sure about here though. He said the price for rock has been way too low for too long so......

The actual owner of Certainteed is a company from France, called Saint-Gobain. That's who you will half to send your angry emails to B1tch,,,, Since I know how much you Yanks will love seeing your money go to the French:rolleyes:

·
Wannabe Woodworker
2,041 Posts
$12.35 per 12' 5/8 average

·
drywall slave
10,565 Posts
Great!:rolleyes: Good to know Virginia has the worst of it thou ...hate for all you guys to have to deal with the hell Iv'e been exposed to.. No supply will carry USG here.. cost too much..Special order only..

The job I'm on now was stocked with Temple rock ..NO high shoulders..Very smooth face.. BUT..Very shallow recess. after tape @ block.It's flush.. I can live with It @ make It work.. :thumbsup::yes:

·
Wannabe Woodworker
2,041 Posts
Great!:rolleyes: Good to know Virginia has the worst of it thou ...hate for all you guys to have to deal with the hell Iv'e been exposed to.. No supply will carry USG here.. cost too much..Special order only..

The job I'm on now was stocked with Temple rock ..NO high shoulders..Very smooth face.. BUT..Very shallow recess. after tape @ block.It's flush.. I can live with It @ make It work.. :thumbsup::yes:
That sounds like a good thing

Reactions: moore

·
Mudder Lover
1,974 Posts
sending our crap to the USA

HA HA - What a switch, Canada is keeping the best stuff here and sending their second rate stuff to the USA.

·
Wannabe Woodworker
2,041 Posts
seedy

·
Rock'n Hawk
1,523 Posts
HA HA - What a switch, Canada is keeping the best stuff here and sending their second rate stuff to the USA.

That's the way it seems. Or that's what they're suppliers are asking for ? :eek:
Either way I wish it would stay there. That crap keeps making it's way back across the border to my jobs.:censored: I hate that sh1T !:censored:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts