Drywall Talk - Professional Drywall and Finishing Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm considering looking at a premier/blueline bazooka. they said it was a premier but said it was only a couple of years old sooo....i've read through a bunch of old threads and it's the usual TT, columbia, northstar(not so much now) are the best blueline is clumsy but strong stuff. it also seems that the people that do use blueline tools really like them. the price is right if it works good and i'm sure i could learn to use it but just wanted some current opinions and cosiderations. thanks.

·
Registered
143 Posts
When it comes down to it, they're all pretty much the same. Some are a bit fancy than others. I've used northstar, TT, premier and Columbia. Northstar I own and the others are my mates. All do the same thing.
Sypke me dude. I'll give you a run through.
Give it a bath in hot water and good clean and oil it up. If it's not that old should work like new.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Just a thought...

I have noticed that there is a seller on ebay selling quite a few TT tools. The thing is... they are all reconditioned and HAVE A ONE YEAR WARRANTY. A reasonably priced used tool with a one year warranty sounds like it could be too good to be true. It might be worth checking out.

If I can find the sellers name and info on ebay I can pass it on to you if you want.

I think that the tapers were going for around $600

·
Registered
838 Posts
i'm considering looking at a premier/blueline bazooka. they said it was a premier but said it was only a couple of years old sooo....i've read through a bunch of old threads and it's the usual TT, columbia, northstar(not so much now) are the best blueline is clumsy but strong stuff. it also seems that the people that do use blueline tools really like them. the price is right if it works good and i'm sure i could learn to use it but just wanted some current opinions and cosiderations. thanks.
if you get it ..dont give up they take a bit to master...trust me..and than one day it will all click...you wont just pick it up and start throwing tape on ...there is a learing curve:thumbsup:

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm not saying you shouldn't do whatever your set on,

I have only used tapetech Ames and premier(premier was more than 10 years ago now.
The premier has a fatter head.
So if you think about tubes as cars,
the ames and TT would be sportier models than the venerable caddy that you would have to liken a premier with
So in short,
the head of the old premier was fat-
had to tape angles just so,
if you know well there you have it.
It is harder for me to tape with the old fat style tube,
I like a regular old TT now
my first tool work was behind tapeworms
my first making a tube pay was behind ames
my first bootyfab getting started had me suffering through using a friend's premier
and now for ten I have a TT
Good tool
I have premier style boxes though.
Hand built by a man who started with ames back after the war
he was 80 something when he built mine.
I love using them
the boxes I mean.
Them tubes were hard,
but the original style boxes are the greatest system-:thumbsup::thumbup::D
I'm eating lunch at home today as a nice change.
Irate customer wasn't happy I charged him 2bills
for just a bunch of hanging.
The thing was supposedly finished,
he kept adding filler studs to his fenestrations until I had easy 2.5 hrs to just get close.
Now I am putting on skylite pieces and trying to tell him I ain't gonna shim period.
No shimming from the taper.
I was just going to throw on a few pieces but that grew into a 4-6 hour ordeal
I must be paid for my extra work.
The rock alone is 4-6 hours.
I thought he would square tha damn thing at least to pretty good now.
So it kept growing and growing. 2 hrs has turned into 6
I now will bring my tube after lunch,
and apply at least 8-10 patches worth of tape in 10-15 minutes.
he'll see there is a method to the madness,
and I won't have suffered someone else's lack of vision without compensation-
Thank you,
Charlie

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
smisner50 got it right, I was lucky enough to wipe behind someone for a year or so and learned soooo much by watching that when I picked it up it wasn't hard to run. The biggest thing is identifing the problems that occur and how to deal with them.
By the way I wouldent trade my blue line angle roller and boxes for any other, but never ran their tapers.

·
post whore
7,772 Posts
Look moore, carpentapers wife will let him get tools, a bazooka at that

Isn't Columbia tools a hop, skip and a jump from your house carpentaper. They might have something kicking around their shop that is used:yes:

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
At work I use the Ames bazooka, and it does just fine. However, I personally own a Drywall Master taper, thing runs like a dream compared to the Ames. Smooth as silk, and unlike the Ames, mine has an adjustable "clicker" that increases or decreases the amount of drag I want to put on the tape. It's great for running corners!

I'd liken the Ames to a standard car, ford focus for example, and my DM to a caddy.

·
post whore
7,772 Posts
At work I use the Ames bazooka, and it does just fine. However, I personally own a Drywall Master taper, thing runs like a dream compared to the Ames. Smooth as silk, and unlike the Ames, mine has an adjustable "clicker" that increases or decreases the amount of drag I want to put on the tape. It's great for running corners!

I'd liken the Ames to a standard car, ford focus for example, and my DM to a caddy.
By clicker do you mean adjustable brake, or something else?????

guessing it's the brake, it will change the clicking sound when adjusted.

just so others know..........:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
Yes, it's the little piece under the drive wheel that clicks and keeps the drive wheel from spinning backwards and therefore keeps the plunger from dropping down the tube under the weight of the mud.

If it weren't so late I would take a pic

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Look moore, carpentapers wife will let him get tools, a bazooka at that

Isn't Columbia tools a hop, skip and a jump from your house carpentaper. They might have something kicking around their shop that is used:yes:
i actually hinted/asked if they had some old tools kicking around that they would sell in a thread a lomg time ago. i got zero reply. i'm not suprised though. i think that would be kind of a pandora's box for them. they would probably be flooded with all kinds of people looking for handouts if rumour got around you could get discounted stuff from their factory. my first choice probably would be columbia for their proximity and customer service alone. i think blueline is pretty popular down in washington though so getting replacement parts would be pretty easy and all the tech support i need is here anyway:thumbsup: unless the thing is a complete POS i think i'll be okay.

·
post whore
7,772 Posts
i actually hinted/asked if they had some old tools kicking around that they would sell in a thread a lomg time ago. i got zero reply. i'm not suprised though. i think that would be kind of a pandora's box for them. they would probably be flooded with all kinds of people looking for handouts if rumour got around you could get discounted stuff from their factory. my first choice probably would be columbia for their proximity and customer service alone. i think blueline is pretty popular down in washington though so getting replacement parts would be pretty easy and all the tech support i need is here anyway:thumbsup: unless the thing is a complete POS i think i'll be okay.
Steven Harper says buy Canadian:rolleyes:

And not a single yank will understand what I just said to you:whistling2:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i'm buying used so i don't think that is a major factor to me. when i do finally get angle heads i know which kind i'll buy. the price on the bazooka is really good. i just have to wait until i see it to get a feel for what kind of shape it's in. by theway you guys have been going nuts posting lately. i can't keep up on my own thread even.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
i'm buying used so i don't think that is a major factor to me. when i do finally get angle heads i know which kind i'll buy. the price on the bazooka is really good. i just have to wait until i see it to get a feel for what kind of shape it's in. by theway you guys have been going nuts posting lately. i can't keep up on my own thread even.
If you got a 2nd hand one there's not a part on them that Can't be replaced, just watch out for a pitted or rotted tube, but even they are replaceable.

·
post whore
7,772 Posts
If you got a 2nd hand one there's not a part on them that Can't be replaced, just watch out for a pitted or rotted tube, but even they are replaceable.
Kiwiman is actually right about something:whistling2:

The tube it self is the most important thing, watch the video Columbia tools put up on their face book page. If your mechanical, do what they do in their vid and your Bazooka will be like new. Were about once a year we send them to our supply house. The sales guy there fixes/tunes them up for us, and they run like new. (what can I say,I'm lazy) My poor lady (the tape tec) is in there right now, My daughter nicked named her "my wife"

Separation is such a hard thing to go through

·
Registered
70 Posts
yeah a good deal isn't always the best deal.
I never had as much invested as in my tools when I first got them.
Now many miles and years later I'm so glad I never looked back,
It's an attitude dude!
Like when ricky bobby says"yeah, I pretty much piss excellence."
dude spend a few more bucks for a lot less headache and get a mail order bride in the shape of something you can use.
So get the premier and suffer through angles,
or spend a grand more for the right thing.
oh well,
opinions are like opinions

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
yeah a good deal isn't always the best deal.
I never had as much invested as in my tools when I first got them.
Now many miles and years later I'm so glad I never looked back,
It's an attitude dude!
Like when ricky bobby says"yeah, I pretty much piss excellence."
dude spend a few more bucks for a lot less headache and get a mail order bride in the shape of something you can use.
So get the premier and suffer through angles,
or spend a grand more for the right thing.
oh well,
opinions are like opinions
I know mutt, I bought my first zooka, a DM used,,,,, for 500,,, after i got it ALL fixed,,,, I could have bought it new for less

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I GOT A BERZOOKUM!!!!!!!!!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:I've basically wanted one for three years. Woooooo!!!
Now I get to swear at it on my next few jobs:yes:. It is an old premier. I got it for 400 US which right now works out to 375 Canadian. I'm pretty sure everything on it is working but I'll find out on monday. Now I actually have a point of reference to all these bazooka posts to start learning the parts names and stuff. The only thing I noticed was that the drive chain was a bit loose I will replace that soon as I have read they loosen over time. It's a lot simpler of a machine now that I have one in my hands to see. I think it will need some tuning up but the guy that I bought it from said it worked and he seemed like a good guy. I know how that sounds after re-reading it, but I have a pretty good BS detector.Yaaaaaaayyyyyy.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I GOT A BERZOOKUM!!!!!!!!!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:I've basically wanted one for three years. Woooooo!!!
Now I get to swear at it on my next few jobs:yes:. It is an old premier. I got it for 400 US which right now works out to 375 Canadian. I'm pretty sure everything on it is working but I'll find out on monday. Now I actually have a point of reference to all these bazooka posts to start learning the parts names and stuff. The only thing I noticed was that the drive chain was a bit loose I will replace that soon as I have read they loosen over time. It's a lot simpler of a machine now that I have one in my hands to see. I think it will need some tuning up but the guy that I bought it from said it worked and he seemed like a good guy. I know how that sounds after re-reading it, but I have a pretty good BS detector.Yaaaaaaayyyyyy.
Kool,,, hope you have fun with it,,, the first day I ran mine, I came home, sat on the couch, and wanted to cry like a bitc*,,, it kicked my arse!!!!!

Don't be too concerned about that chain, they are looser than you might think they should be,,, If it don't slip, don't worry about it right now.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.